what should I focus on more, magic or melee

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: what should I focus on more, magic or melee
Apprentice
Member # 17591
Profile #0
I have played previous Geneforge games as a Shaper and wanted to try G4 without the creation army, of course I'll make one if I get into trouble and need help, but the majority will be solo fighting. So I was needing help from people that have played this before as to what would be used the most, magic or melee? What seems to be the best route, make a Servile and focus mostly on melee and use magic to backup or should I go with an Infiltrator and use magic mostly with melee backup? Also on this note, is missile weapons worth using or I should stick with just swords?

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Magic is the easiest way to go. You may need a powerful creation for the last part of the game to speed up the fights, but most of the game can be done with a single character.

Synergy's Insidious Infiltrator is the best example of battle magic carried to the extreme. You can also use a servile that uses some or even a lot of battle magic. Don't neglect mental magic because dazed opponents can't fight you while you slowly kill them.

A fighter with strong mental magic probably will work as well, but will take longer since you have to fight the monsters one at a time.

Don't neglect missles since those crystals do really nasty damage.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
I tend to favor spells quite highly, with a melee/missile weapon as a backup. I also prefer to play solo, but am not above using creations when necessary.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #3
I usually play as a melee warrior/guardian with a decent investment in missiles. I generally have one or two good creations for my magic & missiles (cryoas, artillas, and vlish, which I usually ditch for a Gazer in the late game). I never used magic very much. Melee never runs out of ammo and is usually lest resisted by foes. (most things resist it a little, but few have significant resistance) the last game I played I had 14 points in melee, 11 in missiles,with 9 in magic shaping and 7 in fire shaping. I had to use canisters though. I didn't use any magic at all.

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
Apprentice
Member # 11797
Profile #4
I say Servile so stick to Melee first and formost and pick a spell class and become the master of it
Apprentice
Member # 17591
Profile #5
Thanks for all the info here. This is all good advice, but I think I'm gonna make 2 characters and play both thru for a few levels and see which I like the best :)

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
That's one of the joys of Jeff's games: They have a large replay value.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #7
Serviles are tough as nails, and decent with buffs as well. I say melee with a mental/blessing backup. My servile used a life-steal sword to great effect, as well. And absolutely no creations.

However, my brother played an Evasion Infiltrator, which nothing in the game could hit more than 5% of the time on Normal. This allows for uninterrupted devastation by Battle Magic. A very effective character.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
I suppose mine would have to be classified as more of an In-vasion Infiltrator. The Evasion variant sounds fun and potent too.

-S-

IMAGE(http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/synergy67/Spiderweb%20Various/2001clock.jpg)

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator N:R Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items A5 Map
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah, Evasion is a very solid strategy on Normal in all of Jeff's games. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it's pretty useless on Torment and even on Hard.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 16812
Profile #10
Definately magic. You simply cannot (easily?)fight the endgame stuff with a strictly melee character on torment. I have found it impossible to do at all.

--------------------
This is a link to an awesome game: http://s1.battleknight.us/index.php?loc=hire&ref=ODAxOQ==
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Gandalf the Purple:

Definately magic. You simply cannot (easily?)fight the endgame stuff with a strictly melee character on torment.
*BEEP BEEP* Wrong answer!
My servile:
Cloak: Cloak of Shadows(Spine enhanced)
Sword: Puresteel Soulblade(Slow enhanced)
Ring: Forbidden Band(Stun resist enhanced)
Belt: Girdle of Life(Acid resist enhanced)
Armor: Drakonain Plate(Magic resist enhanced)
Neck: Talisman of Might
Shield: Quicksilver Bulwark
Gloves: Gloves of Savagery(Harder to hit enhanced)
Leg Armor: Legs of the Tyrant(Harder to hit enhanced)
Feet: Quicksilver sandals(Stun resist enhanced)
(I did post this elsewhere but I think I can repost it)
15 Ap when sped up, 3 attacks 200-275 dm each, with QA doubling almost every time(I had 16!), 225 x 6 = 1350 damage capability per round.

Imagine that, with buffs.
I actually tried the game with a infiltrator and I didn't do so well :/, but with a shaper, its easy, mainly because of drakons, wingbolts, and rothogroths.

[ Monday, May 12, 2008 16:54: Message edited by: Executor Xel'Raga ]

--------------------
Jim, the end of the world is here, the Xel'Naga have returned -Zeratul in Starcraft 2 trailer
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
We have cared for Auir and you people, even when you shun us for rejecting the Khala - Zeratul
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!