Game weirdness in the fens

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Game weirdness in the fens
Apprentice
Member # 13375
Profile #0
My current game has developed a weird problem in the Fens. The doors to Burwood Province opened, long before I'd even visited Khyryk. Even worse, Miranda has vanished, so I only have the rebel kill Monarch quest available. Has anyone else had this happen?

I can't pinpoint exactly when or why the doors opened. I'd sent the refugees on their way, but I hadn't gone into Grosch at all. I know I was using exitzone a lot, and suddenly I found I could use it to exit into Burwood province.

Then tonight I used exitzone in Northern Fens, and ended up in Sentinel Groves. I tried going back to Northern Fens and got stuck in the crystal field behind pylons. So I used clearthisarea in Sentinel Groves, then exitzone to Burwood South Road, meeting Pol along the way, and came out in the rebel camp behind the door, which wouldn't open. exitzone again got me out of that corner, but then I discovered to my horror that Miranda had disappeared. The general who tells you about the secret door in the crystal field was willing to tell me, but Shaper Monarch is otherwise still on the loose.

In retrospect, the obvious problem is that I've used the cheat codes too much, but I swear I've only used clearthis area that once.

I don't expect anyone to fix the problem for me, but I thought the board members might be interested.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
There have been two or three other reports of the same behaviour. All of them have been from people using the exitzone cheat. It seems as if that's likely to be your problem.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 13375
Profile #2
Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that's what was going on. Serves me right for using cheats so much.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Well, I wouldn't say it's entirely your fault. Even if in theory the cheats are an undocumented, use-at-your-own risk thing, a lot of players do use exitzone just for the convenience of not having to walk all the way out of an area. If the cheats are causing problems for a significant number of people, then they probably weren't tested and debugged as well as they should have been.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Exitzone cheat in the north part of the Fens opens up Burwood before you're supposed to get there and that messes up the game. You really need to go back to an earlier game if you want the full experience.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
More relevantly: if a lot of players are using cheats simply to avoid the sandwich problem (I'll go make a sandwich because the game is taking a long time to do something that has no interaction with me whatsoever), the game could use adjusting. Friendly areas should have a "scram!" option available that -doesn't- break the game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #6
the latest request should go in the geneforge 5 wishlist(or Avernum for that matter)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
The problem doesn't usually show up during beta testing because the jaded testers don't use cheats that often. We're supposed to find a way to defeat all the monsters, so we don't use the kill all. The back to start/exit zone one does get used more often to save time returning to a place to sell everything, but there are only a few places where it really messes up the game.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Honestly, Randomizer, if you use "jaded testers" one more time, Dikiyoba is going to start picturing you as a jade statuette. :P

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
IMAGE(http://www.magiccorporation.com/scan/beta/jade_statue.jpg)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Honestly, Randomizer, if you use "jaded testers" one more time, Dikiyoba is going to start picturing you as a jade statuette. :P
It comes from Jeff's emails to beta testers. He has some other choice remarks about us. My favorite is that anyone who plays his games on torment is not a casual gamer.

I think that testers are used more for catching errors and less for setting game difficulty level. You should hear Jeff cheering the monsters on in some encounters during testing, then making it easier in the final version after all our difficulties.
Apprentice
Member # 13473
Profile #11
Restart and go pro shaper.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Shaper Markis:

Restart and go pro shaper.
What has that got to do with cheating?

--------------------