The Fens

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Fens
Apprentice
Member # 6034
Profile #0
Is it just me do they get on everybody nerves? Shapers not included
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #1
The Fens are certainly quite bothersome. The few creations sent out into the fens to help you don't help much with the constant regenerating troops of the Shaper Monarch.

Also, I don't like swamps. My robe gets dirty.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
They certainly were a pain. My biggest grievance outside of Grosch was the fact that I kept getting stopped for combat between a friendly and a hostile creation, in which I had no involvement.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8175
Profile #3
But couldn't you destroy the source? or block where there coming from with creations?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
You can eventually stop the stream of enemies, but doing so requires going through the stream of enemies, so it's still annoying. I thought it was entirely appropriate and well executed, but it's supposed to be annoying and it is.

—Alorael, who knows you don't actually have to wade through all those creations. If you're doing it, though, you're probably doing it because you're not the quick and clever sort who's going to make it through the other entrance.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Killing the Alpha Creator on your first trip down to Grosch so that you don't have to walk all the way back is a really, really good idea.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6034
Profile #6
I know we all play different and have different ideas of fun. But the way I have played most all Geneforges and Avernums is Solo player. I think this is the first time Jeff has put it in where you got to have some help from somewhere to get though this part of the game.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Due to some poor strategic planning, my rebel Servile hit the Fens with only a very small stock of essence pods. Due to more poor strategic planning, or at any rate to a perverse taste in playstyle, he really needed a lot of buffing to fight bad things on Torment.

So I wound up really having to think about how to get through the Fens and down to the Alpha Creator without using up any pods. That was kind of cool, and a first for me in Geneforge, to have to plan several zones ahead.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by cubgrace:

I think this is the first time Jeff has put it in where you got to have some help from somewhere to get though this part of the game.
You don't have to; I've done the Fens completely solo. But the servile technicians sure do help.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Dikiyoba wasn't annoyed by the fens. Then Dikiyoba managed to lead all of the trapped soldiers to safety, only to have Cantor suddenly do a 180, run halfway across the map, and promptly get killed by several rogues.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
After doing it several times as a lifecrafter, I've done it as a servile with just the 3 servile techs so I could get all the experience for disarming mines and traps.

The first time through is always a pain until you figure out a good method. I burned up lots of essence pods buffing my creations to get through a fight that wasn't that hard.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #11
I've just hit this area. I am a lifecrafter with 2 creations (Glhaky and Draky) and an assorted bunch of volunteers from the Rebel camp. It turns out that I ended up having 13 mechanics and to operate one of the control panes in one of the fens I required 20...

My question is: how much mechanics does a technician give? so I will probably dismiss one or 2 soldiers to bring more technicians :D

Thanks!

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
Each servile tech adds 5 to mechanics. The lowest I've seen in the Fens is 15. Most of the mines in Monarch's Realm below Northern Grosch are 25 difficulty, but there is a route with 20. The worst traps are 30, but the chest with 30 difficulty doesn't have anything of real value.

Some of the mines release creations like a kyshakk in Grosch Pits near where Kryryk is held.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #13
Wow, that sounds scary, but thank you!!!

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.