Questions about collection quests and timer.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Questions about collection quests and timer.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #0
I downloaded the game recently and have a couple question:

1. Which items should I hold on to for collection quests? My inventory is overflowing with iron bars, shaper equipment, etc. Please don't say who or where is asking for them, but just tell me what I shouldn't sell.

2. Does the timer on map screen have any effect on the game?

By the way, it looks like the hype about the game was largely justified. I like the new inventory system (no more dropping everything when combat starts) and growth of power seems to be well balanced. I can't say much about story yet, but at least it's not another shaper apprentice. :)

[ Friday, February 09, 2007 14:27: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
The only items that you'll need to stockpile are Research Notes, Swamp Herbs, and Melted Glass.

The time has no effect that I ever discovered, but I haven't poked around in scripts.

—Alorael, who thinks this game earned all its hype. It's a big improvement over its antecedents.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by *i kicks puppies and orphans.:

—Alorael, who thinks this game earned all its hype. It's a big improvement over its antecedents.

Although I suppose G3 and G2 deserve that, I thought that the original was pure genius, particular given the originality at the time.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
G3 certainly wasn't a "big" improvement, though there were some small improvements made. The bigness of G2's improvement is debatable as well.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Cirion Actaeon meant, Slartucker.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I guess I can't really think of G4 as an improvement over G1. I don't even think of A2 as an improvement over A1 even though it gained the much-needed quest log and is an overall better game. The first in a series is always special.

—Alorael, who is still thinks that G4's story lives up to its promises and the engine has all the polish you'd expect from a fourth installment. And the sacrosanct realm of AP has now been altered in both A4 and G4! No mechanics are safe from Spiderweb.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by *i kicks puppies and orphans.:

The only items that you'll need to stockpile are Research Notes, Swamp Herbs, and Melted Glass.
It's actually called Melted Sand, but eh.

Also, you'll want one cake, but there's no need to hold on to more than one.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
You can always cheat to get cake.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

You can always cheat to get cake.
I have a terrible admission to make. I used the "give a snack" cheat on this one, just to save time. The only way I could think of alleviating my guilt was to find another piece later, and place it next to him, amounting to the same amount of work at a different time. That didn't work, so I suppose the mockery of my peers will have to do.

Edit: More applicable quote.

[ Saturday, February 10, 2007 08:29: Message edited by: Cirion Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
Oops. I ate the only cake I came across thus far. :(

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
There are cakes in Southforge Citadel, Turabi Gate, Rivergate Keep, Monarch's Realm, and Western Rise sells them. You shouldn't have much trouble getting one when you need it.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #11
quote:
Alorael:
No mechanics are safe from Spiderweb.
You want them to be?

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #12
On a slightly related note, where can I stash my swag without it disappearing? I have maybe 3 free inventory spots left.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
Anywhere easily accessible.

Dikiyoba assumes the maximum number of items allowed in a zone is still 200 but Dikiyoba hasn't tested it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Nalyd Twisted:

quote:
Alorael:
No mechanics are safe from Spiderweb.
You want them to be?

Mechanics are people too. Abuse them and then see who's laughing when your car breaks down.

—Alorael, who has no complaints about any tinkering with game mechanics. In fact, tinkering may be mechanic-approved.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

On a slightly related note, where can I stash my swag without it disappearing? I have maybe 3 free inventory spots left.
My preferred cache spots are at the entrance to Southforge Citadel in the first half of the game, and in front of the quartermaster in Aziraph Rebel Camp in the second half. You can leave stuff anywhere, but putting it near a shopkeeper means you can stash and sell without making two stops.

[ Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:36: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
I like the north end of the Eastern Rise myself since I wander through there a lot. You can see part of my stash in the screen shot page for create your own army.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #17
Thanks for answers and advice.

I have another question: What does percentage for armor and resistance mean? Does 50% resistance actually block half the damage and 75% resistance block 3/4 of the damage, or are the numbers just random "more is better" kind of thing?

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Thanks for answers and advice.

I have another question: What does percentage for armor and resistance mean? Does 50% resistance actually block half the damage and 75% resistance block 3/4 of the damage, or are the numbers just random "more is better" kind of thing?

Simply, random more is better.

Basically each value is calculated seperately, so if you have 15% and 5% and you take 100 damage, you will instead take (100-15%)-5% or ~81 (80.75) damage.

EDIT: For some reason the game looks like it's not doing that anymore, it tells you how much you resist but if I take two values of fire damage with no change in resistance, the percentage seems to fluctuate. It's still withing the rage of reason, just jumpy.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:38: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #19
So resistances granted by individual items are multiplied, rather than added together?

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
I did some intensive testing of this -- there's a topic somewhere where I had a good discussion with Thuryl about it. Anyway, the short of it is that

1) resistances are multiplied together, so two 50% pieces of armor reduce by about 75%, and

2) the actual damage reduction granted to a given attack varies somewhat. In tests, 25% armor gave reductions of about 10% to 40%, with more closer to 25%. Thuryl's idea, which makes sense, is that each individual point of damage has an X% chance of being eliminated, where X is your armor/resistance score for that type of damage.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00