The Adventures of Onan the Barbarian

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Adventures of Onan the Barbarian
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #0
So while I was doing the no-magic challenge, Slar suggested an even tougher one: no canisters, no magic, and no creations. Since I obviously have nothing better to do, I'm giving it a go.

First decision: Warrior or Servile? Well, as it turns out, this isn't a tough choice: the Servile gets 2 more starting HP and slightly better Leadership/Mechanics. I guess the Warrior really is completely useless.

I spend all of Onan's skill points for the first few levels on Leadership and Mechanics until I get them to 8 and 10, so I won't have to worry about them for the rest of the game. After that, I pump Endurance -- with extremely limited access to buffs, I'm going to be taking a lot of hits, so I need the HP.

I've reached the end of Chapter 1. Notable difficulties so far:

Shaila's shaping room presents a problem; I could just take the back entrance and sneak up on her, but that would be wimpy -- and besides, I need experience. I could use healing pods, but I want to save them for when I *really* need them. Instead, every round I eat two pieces of the considerable stash of food I've been carrying around, then attack one of the creations she's made. The 15 or so HP recovered per round from the food is less than the damage I'm taking, but it's just enough to keep me alive. By the time I've killed all of Shaila's creations I'm down to 5 pieces of meat.

The Dumping Pits were painful; I burned a speed pod on the Runewarded Thahds and a few icy crystals on the spinecores, and even then it took a lot of reloads. The occasional poisoning isn't so bad on account of my ridiculously high Endurance.

Chickweed Bridge... hoo boy. Okay, I probably should have just come back much, much later for this, since the creations here aren't really supposed to be killed. But I wanted the experience, so I killed them anyway. The Crazed Drayk required a shot from a terror wand and several shots from a discipline wand to take down. The patrolling alphas (that is, the ones I didn't blow up with the mines) each went down with a couple of hits from my steel broadsword plus an icy crystal. Hope I don't run out of icy crystals before they stop being useful.

Stats as of the end of Chapter 1:

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch1stats.jpg)
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch1equip.jpg)

Time at end of Chapter 1: Day 70.

I didn't let Greenfang join me. I'm undecided as to whether I should officially add a no-joinable-allies rule; Khur and Shotwell aren't going to be much use to me, but I'll kinda miss not having the Servile Technicians.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 02:21: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Without the Servile Techs you are forced to go the pure combat route and go down the center of Northern Grosch into Monarch's Realm. While it is possible to go the difficult 20 route, I doubt that you will want to do so since you can't deactivate the other mines.

I think that in the case of the Fens where you are allowed to recruit helpers it should be okay to use them, but if you want to do it the really hard way, then go for it. The experience will run out in Burwood a bit later since you will be a level or 2 behind by not doing the mines and traps.

I really should try this challenge. I probably would use icy crystals a bit differently than you are. Sandros Mine's parasitic shade is really hard to do alone as a servile. I don't know how long you can go without raising combat skills, although you could put all the points into strength and dexterity now and then in chapter 3 the combat skills will jump quickly.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Sandros Mine's parasitic shade is really hard to do alone as a servile.
Don't I know it. I just managed to beat the thing, though. In the process I used up a speed pod (useful for a whole 1 round before the shade slowed me), a shielding pod, a battle pod, about 8 healing pods and a couple of spray crystals. 2 healing pods a round was enough to heal me faster than the shade could hurt me, but not faster than it and its summoned shades could hurt me, so the spray crystals were necessary to take those down.

And now I've got a handy fire enhancement on my broadsword, which means I can kill roamers in one hit every time instead of just some of the time. Wooo. Onan is proud of his sword.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 03:34: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #3
With a high enough heath level you can just walk through the mines. It does work.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
What? There are no mines in Sandros Mine. :P

Having ludicrous health does have its perks, though; rather than waiting to get 12 Mechanics to open the hardest of the trapped chests in Southforge Citadel and Dillame, I just opened them up and took the 200 points of damage. Sure, I missed out on a tiny bit of experience, but that won't make much difference in the long run.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #5
I was talking about the mines around Shaper Monarch, and how you can go the Mech path without enough Mech.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I have nothing useful to add, but I find the name hilarious. Is the first part relevant or just funny?

—Alorael, who now has a new name for this kind of game. It's going after the Win of Onan!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
The name is relevant only in the sense that only a true wanker would attempt this challenge.

(It's also a reference to one of Jeff's design principles: that all his games should in principle be finishable by a "Conan the Barbarian" type character with no magic.)

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 15:34: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
I'm trying it and really miss daze. I want to use a little different build with more emphasis on missle attacks so I can avoid closing to melee. There are too many areas where you get swarmed.

I tried the same tactic in Sandros Mine with spray crystals since it gave me time to just fight the parasitic shade.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Ack, how did I miss this thread?

You shouldn't worry about experience. As Synergy so kindly discovered, Monarch's rogues in at least one area of the fens respawn infinitely despite giving solid experience.

Weapon enhancements become a major point of debate in this challenge, as they are essentially your only source of slow, stun, and curse effects. I guess slow is probably the best one to use.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I found the slowing effect to be pretty underwhelming, since it only takes effect a small percentage of the time, and many of the things that you most want it to work against can haste themselves. I'd rather just go with a good old golden crystal -- hitting more often for more damage is always useful.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Progress update: now most of the way through Chapter 2. Doing all the rebel quests except for killing Eliza and Shaftoe got my reputation down just far enough to get the Girdle of Life. Now I can finally be a filthy double agent and do some Shaper quests to net me useful rewards too. Emphasis on "useful"; I destroyed the Heart of the Kiln, since the Skein of Wisdom does precisely nothing useful for me.

I've also traded in my Steel Broadsword for a nice Shaped Blade dropped by the shaper loyalist captain in Rocky Point. That was a bit of a tough fight -- I had to use a couple of spores so the rebels could fend for themselves a bit better. Even then, only 3 of them survived to leave the area.

[ Thursday, January 18, 2007 01:55: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Well, Chapter 2 is complete.

Onan didn't like Moseh's attitude, so he decided to kill him. Moseh's creations were a problem; spray crystals were the solution.

Time at end of Chapter 2: Day 301.

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch2stats.jpg)
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch2equip.jpg)

Yeah, that's right: 29 unspent skill points. Honestly, I don't have much to invest them in right now anyway (unless I *really* want 3 more points of Endurance), so I may as well save them up until Archibald trains me and I can start investing in combat skills.

Eliza and Shaftoe are both way beyond my ability to kill right now, at least without wasting a lot of items. I'll try coming back for them after Archibald's trained me and I've used up all those skill points.

The first no-magic challenge felt like it was the way a shocktrooper was meant to be played (although it'd be even better with a little Healing Craft). This challenge, on the other hand, feels like an actual challenge. Onan has all the problems a normal singleton servile has, compounded by a lack of blessing and healing ability. I'm sure I'll be able to finish the game this way, but as for Matala and the Titan... well, I'm not making any promises one way or the other.

[ Thursday, January 18, 2007 05:50: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

I found the slowing effect to be pretty underwhelming, since it only takes effect a small percentage of the time, and many of the things that you most want it to work against can haste themselves. I'd rather just go with a good old golden crystal -- hitting more often for more damage is always useful.
Interesting. I haven't actually used them in G4, and it seems they've been nerfed from G3, where they took effect every attack (though never on QA swings). I don't remember the GC affecting hit chance but that makes sense. How much of a boost does it give?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #14
Scary stuff.

As a Windows user, it is easy to feel a bit peeved when, before one has ever played GF4 at all, Thuryl will have completed it without magic, creations or canisters.

I draw comfort from the fact that, on the basis of the above discussion, this is only possible by using pods, wands and crystals. In which case you're not really playing a no-magic character, just applying stricter than usual limits to your supply of magic.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
One of us Windows users will need to discover the strategy that makes the Warrior superior to all other classes. No one has done that yet.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Update: I've gone north as far as the rebel camp. The Maddened Rotghroth was tough; I had to lead it through the minefields to wear down its HP before trying to fight it. Of course, its fang meant I could make the Talisman of Might, which was more than worth the trouble.

With my newly-boosted combat skills, I went back for Eliza and Shaftoe, who gave me surprisingly little trouble. The acid from the Oozing Sword also helped a lot; Shaftoe was taking 70-80 damage per round from acid by the end of the fight. I'm almost tempted to stick with the Oozing Sword and leave the Guardian Claymore in one of my caches.

[ Thursday, January 18, 2007 15:59: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2018
Profile #17
Why not just acidify the Claymore, and get the nice stat boosts from the sword while adding that little something special?...

Ah, runed amethyst, how do I love thee?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by wearywanderer:

Why not just acidify the Claymore, and get the nice stat boosts from the sword while adding that little something special?...
Well, mostly because I intend to use the Claymore for the rest of the game. Do you really think acid would be more worthwhile than a golden crystal?

Update: Just beat the Imprisoned Soul and the Soultaken Twins. I took the twins out one at a time using a bit of trickery with spray crystals and running around corners. (Spray Crystals helped with the Imprisoned Soul's shades too; unfortunately, my supply is running low.) I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to kill the Old Golem; it wipes the floor with me at the moment. Ah well; it's not as if the Shaper Trueweave is of any use whatsoever to me in this game anyway.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #19
I don't know if this has changed since G3, but in G3 the acid enhancement (runed amethyst or whatever) would give the same bonus damage as the fire and ice enhancements, as acid damage of course -- it would not add layers of acid as an ancillary effect.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
For the Old Golem you are halfway there with the health. You need to add spines to the armor you are using and pile up major healing items for the really bad part.

One nasty trick is to pop in and out of the Forsaken Lands Shaper Camp using speed pods/spores and slowly kill a few guards. Retreat and return to loot the items. If you are lucky they will drop restoration potions. I don't know if you are powerful enough to try this.

I wasted a day redoing my game. Not being lucky enough to score a thahdskin tunic, I had to replay the game with less mechanics so I could increase strength to compensate. Having dexterity at 7 reduces the successful attacks from most rogue creations. I know it's not a great build method but it got me through the swarms of worms and across the Forsaken Docks with my lower endurance.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
Update: Just went down under Grosch and "rescued" Khyryk. Went in through the southern route, but avoided most of the rogues, since they don't give XP any more and going in and out to kill a few at a time is just tedious rather than challenging. Killing the Warped Creator took a couple of speed pods and a shielding pod, and left Onan at exactly 1 HP by the end of the fight. Fled back to the rebel camp to lick my wounds and sell/cache various loot.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
Finally finished Chapter 1 and really hated the Dumping Pit. Used up way to many icy crystals on the spinecores. Finally got a thahdskin tunic in Sinkhole Bridge of all places.

Level 14, health 148, skill points 5
Strength 6 (+2), dexterity 7 (+2), intelligence 2, endurance 8
Melee 3, missle 2, parry 3, quick action 4
Leadership 6, mechanics 8, luck 1 (+1)

wearing - coated cloak, thahdskin tunic, girdle of nimbleness, steel broadsword, shielding band, shaped boots, swamp pants, shaped gloves, steel shield, stability bauble.

Lower endurance means that I have to go back to heal more often, but that should be better in chapter 2.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
Whew. Well, Monarch was interesting. Basically I had to hit him hard enough and fast enough that he kept running away instead of attacking me; once I cornered him and he started fighting in melee, things went south fast. By the end of it I was slowed and desperately low on HP; there was no way I was going to survive another round and I didn't want to fight the battle over again, so I let Monarch live. Hope this doesn't somehow screw me over later.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
Never get into melee with Monarch. Always use missle attacks. If he begs for his life he near the end, but with you slowed that really didn't help. I don't think it makes much difference to the Rebels, but I never tried it and then visited the Shapers to see what they thought.

You may have to replay it.

Pages