The Adventures of Onan the Barbarian

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Adventures of Onan the Barbarian
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Never get into melee with Monarch. Always use missle attacks.
Eh, yeah, I probably should have shot at him for the last few rounds. Meleeing him was okay at first since even if he didn't run away, he'd take a few steps back and blast me with magic in preference to using melee. Once I cornered him he stopped doing that. Whoops.

But hey, you can't argue with success -- I didn't even need to use any healing pods.

quote:
If he begs for his life he near the end, but with you slowed that really didn't help. I don't think it makes much difference to the Rebels, but I never tried it and then visited the Shapers to see what they thought.

You may have to replay it.
Honestly, I'm sufficiently curious about what the Shapers' reaction will be that I'm just going to go on regardless.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
The only place I can think of that what you do with Monarch could really have an effect -- based on the fact that the scripts never reference it outside of a few dialogue changes -- is the ending. And even that I doubt.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #27
I played letting Monarch go once and Greta is a little upset, but is more concerned about the Shaper research notes.

I just finished the parasitic shade in Sandros Mine. Used up my healing pods and spores the first time so I had to redo so I'd have some for crossing the Secured Crossroads. Having less endurance is making a difference with healing, but I can kill most things with one blow with the higher strength.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Well, I found out what happens with the Shapers -- not much. Basically you tell them you defeated Shaper Monarch and gloss over the fact that you let him go. Bit of a letdown, really.

And as for Greta, I don't think she has much of a right to be annoyed about my putting innocent lives at risk, considering that she supports the release of the Unbound later on. (She was indeed much more ticked off that I'd handed the papers over to the Shapers, anyway.)

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch3stats.jpg)
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch3equip.jpg)

Day count: 386.

Oh, and by the way, I did finish this chapter without using any of the joinable allies, including the servile technicians.

[ Saturday, January 20, 2007 00:45: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Victory! The Old Golem is no more!

I stuck Steel Spines (mostly from trading in supply tokens at Shaper Camp Gamma) on every single piece of armour I had and a Golden Crystal (from Eye's Road) on my Guardian Claymore. I had a Wand of Death (also from Eye's Road) as a backup weapon for the Bladewarded form, which neither my sword nor my spines would have much effect on. Most rounds were spent using three healing pods and then attacking, or, if I wasn't so badly wounded, attacking once, using a healing pod and attacking again. Once or twice I had to use another shielding pod when he debuffed me. When he got to the crumbling form I waited for the lightning aura effect to wear off, then finished him off in one more round.

At the rate I went through healing pods in that fight, I don't think Matala is going to be remotely feasible. Mind you, that won't stop me from trying.

EDIT: Whoa. Okay, killing the Forgotten One is going to be painful. I think I'm going to come back when I can actually hit him more than 50% of the time.

[ Saturday, January 20, 2007 01:43: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
Update: Guh. Fort Raevinn was horrible.

I mean, it's been horrible in every previous game I played, but more so this time. Not a single one of the trapped rebels survived. I had to resort to running out from behind a wall in combat mode, throwing icy or spray crystals, ducking back behind the wall and leaving combat mode. I used up my entire remaining stock of icy crystals on the attacking wingbolts.

EDIT: Helping Shaper Horis... oh dear. Well, Plan A didn't work; ensnaring fibres and a submission baton were not nearly enough to render her kyshakk helpless. Plan B involved a shaped blade, a runed onyx, a few speed pods, a few shielding spores, and lots and lots of healing spores. Horis's kyshakk, fortunately, can't haste itself. It took several reloads before I succeeded in slowing it in the first round; the runed onyx really is very unreliable as a source of slowing. Once I'd succeeded, though, slowing it meant I only had to do half as much healing, which I could keep up with using the spores.

[ Saturday, January 20, 2007 04:37: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #31
Fort Raevinn is always a pain because if you go outside to chase down the wingbolts, then you get swarmed with no support from within the fort. If you stay back too much, then they run outside and get killed.

Matala as a single unsupported character is hard because you get cursed in melee and missle attacks do very little damage.

I thought that you would get more parry rather than quick action to reduce damage. Slarty did a parry thread and it seem somewhat useful to reduce damage.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

I thought that you would get more parry rather than quick action to reduce damage. Slarty did a parry thread and it seem somewhat useful to reduce damage.
Parry above 10 apparently doesn't do much against missile attacks, and most opponents just aren't all that scary once you get them into melee.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
I hate the Maddened Trall. :(

The only way I had of damaging his first form without using up *really* valuable resources like torrent gems was the acid from my Oozing Blade -- good thing I'd left it in a cache just in case. I did a lot of ducking and running and abusing AI glitches, and it took an inordinately long time. Once he switched to his melee-vulnerable form, I waited for his creations to wander out of the room and him to wander up against a wall so I could corner him, then started fighting him in melee.

I'm all out of regular healing pods and starting to eat into my major healing pods. Somehow I get the feeling that Chapter 5 is going to get ugly.

Update: Just wiped out the Cultist Safehouse. Not nearly as bad as I'd expected; the cultists can be drawn out one at a time fairly easily, and individually they're easy to kill.

Update #2: After helping all 5 infiltrators and getting both sets of papers for Kiki, my reputation and leadership were *just* high enough to get Alwan's quest. (I had to put on all my infiltrator items first.) Looks like I can keep being a double agent for a while longer. Now, off to go back, kill the infiltrators and get the reward for that.

[ Saturday, January 20, 2007 21:39: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
Chapter 4 complete! Salassar was pathetically easy; I outmeleed him without even needing to haste myself. The Forgotten One and Matala haven't been dealt with yet; I could beat the FO right now if I wanted, but I'm waiting until it's easier so I use fewer items in the process.
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch4stats.jpg)
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch4equip.jpg)

Day count: 534.

Update: Fun trick in Khima-Uss, which I discovered completely by accident: if you refuse to pay the toll to Reevass and he attacks you, any cryodrayks that come near him will also go hostile. Go hide in a room nearby until they manage to kill Drosstro. Wham, free Forbidden Band. The best part is, once you leave Khima-Uss they're all friendly again! (In fact, it's best to leave quickly just to make sure they don't inflict any other collateral damage -- wouldn't want them to kill off a shopkeeper or quest-giver.)

Another update: The Forgotten One is now defeated. I equipped cold resistance and anti-undead gear, and the Quicksilver Sandals and Quicksilver Bulwark (to get me to 10 AP unhasted). Then I meleed it with a Frozen Blade -- useful for its cold resistance, cursing power and to-hit bonus, and also enchanted with a runed onyx to slow the enemy. I used a combination of spray crystals and steel spines to take out the burrowers as the FO summoned them. Most importantly, I didn't need to use any healing pods, which I suspect will be my most precious resource in the endgame.

[ Sunday, January 21, 2007 04:07: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #35
This challenge sounds fun. I have been replaying through the series (all loyalists G2+G3 no canister) and when I get back to G4 I think I'll try it.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #36
I'm wondering if for Matala you could use the slow from your version of the Frozen blade to keep the golem in the starting area. Since moving Matala out of the rotgroth summoning area is the hardest part of a single character game. Repeated essence shackles sometimes works for a lifecrafter to prolong the first part.

I know sometimes the drakon never gets revived to attack you.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
Hee hee. Trython's dialogue in the Sealed Catacombs makes reference to whether you killed Shaper Monarch. So far that's the only difference I found.

Oh, and by the way, I killed the Titan.

I picked off the sentinels and other encounters one at a time, running back to the healing pool in Monarch's Realm when injured. The Southern Sentinel can be led away from its cryodrayks without them following it if you do it right.

Form 1 of the Titan itself was straightforward; I beat it up faster than it could set me on fire. My Ultimate Debuffing Blade (Frozen Blade with slowing enchantment) helped with this.

Form 2 was, of course, nasty. As soon as it appeared I ran out of sight, left combat mode, walked back up to him and led him around a corner so I could catch him up against a wall and force him into melee (having used a bunch of Rod of Alacrity charges beforehand to resist his slowing effect). This form doesn't seem to end until you kill its kyshakks, so I ran around a corner and ended combat mode again, went back into combat mode, ran just back into sight of them and killed them with torrent gems.

When it switched to form 3, I ran around a corner again and used a bunch of regular healing spores to heal up -- they're too weak to use in actual combat at this stage, so it's not like I'm going to use them for anything else. I meleed it until it summoned its final creations, then used torrent gems and Wand of the Inferno charges to wear down the glaahks and rotdhizons. Once the Titan and glaahks were dead, I finished the rotdhizons off in melee.

All in all, the fight was somewhat tough and required moderate engine abuse, but very doable, and I didn't use up too many of my precious, precious healing items.

Now, all that's left for me to do is Matala and the final battles.

Update: Freed the prisoners in the Western Morass, which I hadn't got around to doing earlier since I was trying to build up my pro-Shaper reputation. Had to use a madness gem to cover their retreat.

Update 2: Wiped out the Poryphra shaper camp using no items apart from a few reaper thorns. Took a few runs in and out, but not that many. Made somewhat easier by the fact that Alwan and Miranda had already left. Koerner drops a Puresteel Blade and Litalia rewards me with Viper's Touch, which are both very nice weapons. It's actually rather hard for me to decide which of my many very nice weapons to use now.

Update 3: Killed Khyryk for fun and profit, and by "fun" I mean "XP" and by "profit" I mean "a golden crystal". The fight was longish, but not hard; once I had him up against a wall, I just had to keep fully hasted to 15 AP so I could kill his newly-made creations with two hits and still get one hit in on him with the Viper's Touch.

[ Sunday, January 21, 2007 21:53: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
Matala was a bit of a disappointment; turning off his power spiral before he gets to it seems to break his AI, and he just sits there and waits for you to kill him. Not that I'm complaining; even as it is, I used a whole bunch of resources on that fight. I'll still have plenty left for the ending, though.

I'll do the Rebel ending this time -- and just to make things a little more challenging, I'll try to kill the invaders while they're still in Northforge Warrens.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #39
I always found that madness gems or mass madness works wonders in the Titan and Southern Sentinel encounters. Turn his summoned creatures into your allies for a few rounds and they turn on each other. They usually ignore you while they fight amongst themselves. It's a bit less of an engine abuse.

Still slogging through Illya. That lower endurance slows things down, but I can kill most things with higher strength.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

I always found that madness gems or mass madness works wonders in the Titan and Southern Sentinel encounters.
I tried madness gems a couple of times; they consistently failed to daze or charm anybody. One time I got one dazed kyshakk; that's about it.

Casting Mass Madness is not an option, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, that's not important now. Because...

*drum roll*

I've won! Onan has released the Unbound!

The final battle in Northforge Warrens was a nightmare, especially since I had to do it all in one go without leaving the zone, and stay mostly in one corner without moving to avoid damage from the machines. I cornered and killed Miranda, healed up with my weaker healing items, hasted, blessed and shielded repeatedly with all the buffing items I was carrying, charged into the corner behind Alwan and threw everything I had at them: torrent gems, madness gems, wands of the inferno, restoration potions and spores. By the end I was reduced to using armor potions as supplementary healing. Once I'd killed Alwan I ran straight out of there, barely managing to hide from the wingbolt and war trall Alwan had created while simultaneously healing enough to not die of a lightning aura on the way out.

Final day count: 677.

Onan's stats and equipment are presented here exactly as they were when he escaped from Northforge Warrens. As you can see, it was a pretty close fight and I didn't have a lot left to fight with by the end of it.

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch5stats.jpg)
IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/onan_ch5equip.jpg)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #41
Congratulations on winning. I didn't think that Matala was possible. I was hoping that you would answer the question if it was possible to finish the game with over 1000 health, but you didn't need it.

For the next game play it with one hand tied behind your back and blindfolded. Just kidding.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
quote:

Congratulations on winning. I didn't think that Matala was possible.
Well, it would have been a lot harder if his AI hadn't broken; his HP was only about halfway down when that happened, and there was still the drakon in the last room to contend with. I think I could still have beaten Matala if that hadn't happened, but I don't know if I could also have beaten Alwan in Northforge Warrens in the same game.

EDIT: And, uh, looking back on my inventory I see that I had two Rods of Succor that I mistook for Rods of Battle and didn't use. Whoops. That would have taken a little pressure off as far as healing goes. I probably could have done it, then.

quote:
I was hoping that you would answer the question if it was possible to finish the game with over 1000 health, but you didn't need it.
The answer is yes. If I put on the Ornkskin Gauntlets and Symbiotic Cloak, I end up at 1014 health. Even if I'd only worn one of those, I could easily have afforded 2 more points of Endurance if I'd put a little less into dexterity, missiles and parry.

[ Monday, January 22, 2007 04:53: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
Congratulations! You are, if there was any doubt, a true wanker. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #44
One shudders to think what Augmentation would do to your hit points.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

One shudders to think what Augmentation would do to your hit points.
Not all that much, really. Armor potions gave me about 75 extra HP. I just loaded my lifecrafter game to see if actually casting the spell produces a better boost, but it's pretty similar -- Augmentation and Essence Armor each give about 80 HP. MaxHP buffs are great for lifecrafters with low endurance, but they're a drop in the ocean for serviles.

--------------------

Pages