Singleton?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Singleton?
Apprentice
Member # 3853
Profile Homepage #0
Has anyone tried to play it through with only one member? The more I think of it the more I'm getting worried about the notion... Especially with the "Remote" pylons which freeze you and a few liches which definitely charm one of your characters.
Maybe it would be more plausible with 2 members, as one backs up the other?
Ideas?

--------------------
Less is more, nothing is nothing...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Charming isn't really as much of a problem as a singleton. You can't attack yourself, and enemies won't attack you if you're charmed.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
The game has been beaten as a singleton. [Link.]

I can't be bothered to read it all again, but I would imagine he got round the pylons by staying one step out of their range - you can hit them but they can't hit you. This is one reason why the pylons in A4 are simply pointless.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 3853
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I can't be bothered to read it all again, but I would imagine he got round the pylons by staying one step out of their range - you can hit them but they can't hit you. This is one reason why the pylons in A4 are simply pointless.
Thanks for the link!
The freakin pylons will regenerate if you're far away, and there's no point unless you can do really heavy damage from the distance. I remember it being quite a nuisance even for the four of "us" :)
I know that they can mostly be navigated around to get the goal, but then again, much of the game can be left untouched to get the goal... I was just wondering. I'll read from the link you provided for more insight.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Less is more, nothing is nothing...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Pylons can be destroyed by staying one step outside their attack range. Start with acid and pile it on until they are gone. Even in torment you can get 3 pylons before needing to go back to Fort Remote to recharge. Maybe summoned creatures might close and block the regeneration.

Freezing golems are the worst, but with summoned creatures you can even deal with them.
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Demonike:

Thanks for the link!
The freakin pylons will regenerate if you're far away, and there's no point unless you can do really heavy damage from the distance. I remember it being quite a nuisance even for the four of "us" :)
I know that they can mostly be navigated around to get the goal, but then again, much of the game can be left untouched to get the goal...
My torment singleton got to the abyss before bad computer trouble stopped me.

The fort remote pylons felt designed to be sneaked around, since you never actually have to step in range of one, and if you do you can fast back out. Also boring to fight, so my singleton skipped most of them... though destroyed some on the way back due to overpowering powergaming urges.

What I did:
nephil, Elite warrior trait and probably divinely touched. I put 6 in defence and 6 in dex to unlock parry, and put 5-6 points in that before end of demo area. Together with parry bonus from EW, melee didn't hurt... but archers were lethal, which lead to the somewhat strange gameplay of trying to melee every foe at once.

I decided to mostly ignore nature lore, the herbs you get are nice at the craftmaster's shrine but by then you dont need more power. Annoying to not find enough glowing basalt for quest though.

Need 5 arcane lore for dispell barrier - very nice to have.

Early on, endurance give almost no hp, and once you have augmentation, the hp it gives doesn't matter much.