More Melee attacks in Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: More Melee attacks in Avernum
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #0
I have a few Ideas of what could be added as more attacks.
They are simple, and at the same time, useful.

ill start with Backstab: When you have your main warrior PC in combat, and they are attacking securely, you can use another PC with reasonable melee ability to sneak in behind and sit behind the target.

He will automatically use backstab, but he looses the bonus if he is attacking or attacked.

My next idea is with the pole arm weapons.
In RL we used them over swords because they have a good range in melee to hold ground with.

my idea is that when charged, your PC with a pike will get a free attack, and you can melee with some one two tiles away from you without worry of being counter attacked.

Another idea I have is Barricade. It acts sort of like the Roman method of locking shields and taking up more of a defensive position. In game play Terms, this means that all ranged attacks like Arrow fire and fire bolt (although it may be volleyed) can not directly hurt party members/Frendly NPCs behind the target, allowing them to fire back with spells and such.

I also have an idea for a passive ability, similar to the AP modifications in G4. A Standard PC/NPC has to have five AP to attack, but some on with this ability, when used can attack with as little as even one AP, but is vulnerable to Counter attack. (the above Pole arms, etc) but his damage is doubled for the turn that he charges only.

particularly this question is aimed at Jeff, but... what do all of you think so far?

(I think I can come up with more)

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff generally doesn't read here and never takes suggestions as specific as this, but I'm sure everyone will be happy to render opinions.

Backstab is implemented in many games and never particularly satisfactorily. You can't just stab someone in the back because there are two of you. You can outmaneuver, yes, but not actually stab someone from behind. And it requires complicated programming for directions, and... well, it would add a nice tactical fillip, but it's not necessary.

Polearms already have balance considerations in Avernum. They take two hands and do much more damage. Giving them free attacks would be going too far. Range would be too, but short range isn't useful very often.

Realistically it already shouldn't be possible to shoot through one character into another. You can't make a shield wall with one shield. You can't even make a shield wall with two shields. And you really can't do much with the kinds of individual shields that most Avernites are using. And finally... why? Ranged combat has just gotten good. It doesn't need nerfing!

A5's AP system is like Geneforge 4's: you can attack with only 1 AP now.

—Alorael, who instead thinks you should look into battle disciplines. They're nifty little abilities that fighter types can use in combat. They're quite spiffy, especially when you use them to tear your foes into tiny, gory chunks and then spit on their remains. Yes, that is actually one of them. Honest!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I'd comment on battle disciplines, but the last two times that I did to Jeff, he made them harder to get and nerf one.
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #3
ok... Thank you for your coment first of all...

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I'd comment on battle disciplines, but the last two times that I did to Jeff, he made them harder to get and nerf one.
Second is a Joke that I hope no one will take to heart, its simply light hearted.

Q: What dose Blizzard and Jeff have in common?
A: There both evil when it comes to Nerfing.

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Apprentice
Member # 10304
Profile #4
I'd love to see a rage attack. When activated, your character would scream "This is Avernum!" and deliver a lethal kick in the chest to your enemy. Works only on enemies of Avernum. Preferably near a pit of sorts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #5
Thats something that TM did in Renegade. Well, not exactly. But I'd like to see those little tricks incorperated into a possible future game.

--------------------
"I must admit, killing mortals is much easier then killing demons. If you remove a demon's head, all you end up with is something that tries to bite your ankles." -Valen
Noob: lol 1337 lol woot
Apprentice
Member # 10304
Profile #6
New Avernum 5 screenshot:

IMAGE(http://b62.grono.net/92/12/gallery-35715450-500x500.jpg)

Jeff really takes user requests into consideration.