im sorry spidweb team but....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: im sorry spidweb team but....
Apprentice
Member # 8078
Profile #0
I'm sorry Spidweb team I know yall worked very hard on it but, i dont like the new look for avernum 4 it seems like you're trying to turn it into geneforge or the way that combat is I mainly liked the fact that you could fight without havin to go through the whole battle thing.You wouldn't happen to have an old version from before yall made that change?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
A4 only comes in one format, unless you count the change where chitrachs used to use the clawbug graphic from the Geneforge series. A5 use a similar engine, though it'll be more Avernum-ish.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8078
Profile #2
i just prefer the graphs from back on the older ones and how you could fight then
Apprentice
Member # 6876
Profile #3
I agree with you Nightscout, I hate the Geneforge style that has taken over A4 and soon A5, and while I'm sure they are great games on their own account, I can't bring myself to play them as they dont "feel" like avernum anymore.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Well, whatever engine and graphics Jeff uses, someone will be off-put by them. Hopefully, A5's engine is much more streamlined than A4, what with the return of elevation and the engine advances of G4. If not, well, there's always Blades of Avernum, the updated Nethergate, and replaying the original trilogy.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Avernum 5 is supposed to be closer to the older Avernum games than Avernum 4, but the combat still will be somewhat Geneforgish. Actually Jeff has been only giving out hints about the new combat system with battle disciplines so we don't really know.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #6
It's part of the big surprise Jeff's gonna give us..so we wait!

--------------------
Is the truth only what we can see?
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #7
I think Avernum is dead to me... I love the graphics of Avernum 1- Blades but I hate geneforge and its combat system. If only there were other versions of AVernum 4 and 5 being made :(

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Foley's Body:

I think Avernum is dead to me... I love the graphics of Avernum 1- Blades but I hate geneforge and its combat system. If only there were other versions of AVernum 4 and 5 being made :(
Ah, I remember you. You got banned for a while, no?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #9
No, i was never banned. I just don't comeon here often

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Luckily for you, A5 won't use the Geneforge combat system. In fact, Geneforge 4 doesn't use the Geneforge combat system.

—Alorael, who can't say the new system is identical to Avernum's. Being able to attack with 1 AP makes all the difference, though. Starting with more movement is a good change, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Jeff said we only get more actions points because we have to run further to attack. He upped the number of APs used for attacks and spells to compensate.
Apprentice
Member # 9312
Profile Homepage #12
I am glad I played Exile 1-3, and then Platyed Avernum 4 without playing the remakes of the exile games. I am nothing but happy with the graphics!
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #13
Graphics don't mean a lick to me. If the game is fun I'll play it. And these keep drawing me back in. Hell I still boot up Ultima and Zork on Gametap every so often because they are enjoyable. Personally I've found all the engine's and graphics to have their own charm from Exile to A4. I personally prefer these "retro" graphics to today's wham bam 3D gizmo games (Don't get me wrong Blue Dragon looks to be bubbles hawt). Sprites to me have always had an innate organic feel to them.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #14
Well ive never generally cared too much about graphics. I grew up with low spec computers, which when i think about it was probably why i stumbled across Spiderweb games. I do prefer the original Averum-Nethergate style graphics, but that never stopped me playing through a few geneforge demos and enjoying them.

However when Jeff finally got rid of that graphic type in A4 it seemed like the end of an era. I did grow up with them after all...

Anyone agree?

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #15
I do find the original Avernum graphics to have a special grainy charm to them (grainy comes from running them on a 20" imac I suppose).

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
And I happen to prefer the old Exile graphics. But that fact won't keep me from playing.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00