Avernum 5, May Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, May Update
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #50
Why can't he do that? I can't think of a legal reason. Perhaps he shouldn't use the exact same words, but the idea certainly isn't protected under any law that I know.

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:29: Message edited by: Ceylon ]

--------------------
You are asleep.

Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

So it goes.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #51
I would never imply that the monsters of the underworld have anything better to do than to attack you.

There is one chitrach dungeon in Avernum 5. However, it will fall under my general rule of "fewer, bigger, more threatening fights". We'll see how it goes.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #52
The idea of chitrach swarms is good. The execution of chitrach swarms in A4 was good too. It's the endless slog of a few chitrachs at a time through two floors of the Eastern Gallery that gets old.

—Alorael, who expects an Ornotha Ziggurat's worth of chitrachs in A5. With chitrach mages and priests. And at least three chitrachs that summons chitrachs.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Irregardful:

—Alorael, who expects an Ornotha Ziggurat's worth of chitrachs in A5. With chitrach mages and priests. And at least three chitrachs that summons chitrachs.
Don't forget the demon chitrachs. They also bring back the null bugs to plague spellcasters.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

What I'd love is a series of pop-ups about how "You hear a faint scratching noise." Then about the third one says, "Actually, now you can hear that the chitrachs are emerging somewhere far away, and attacking some other poor beggars for a change, instead of you."
Aaagh, can't handle it anymore. *vanishes*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #55
I'm surprised nobody has recommended chitrach muffins yet. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #56
Because, Yama..instead of the "Chitrach Muffins" being the one to eat..they will be the one eaten..

Its like..

"A wave of Chitrach Muffins are coming to town! What is your plan of action?"

1. Nothing.
2. Ready your weapons!
3. Bring the children out! Its free insectoid muffin day!

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #57
All I have to say is thatJeff Vogel is a king among men, a beloved genius, and my personal hero.

Not to take anything away from the all-important statement above, I would also like to add that I'm all for the checkpoint/area style world, as opposed to totally open.

quote:
However, I'm not going to design games like that anymore. They are too difficult to balance properly.
This is a good thing, not - as you have put it - something to apologize for. I don't want to fall asleep at level 1 holding the 8 key, and wake up fighting Hakaai.

-theripper

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #58
I only ever play the games thru once. So I prefer a linear story and game play.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #59
I've played Avernums 2 and 3 but not 4. I have no idea who the redmont's are and so I can't help but wonder if Avernum 5 will be over my head. Am I right or will 5 have nothing to do with 4 in terms of story (please say yes please say yes).

On another note. I think that Jeff should look at wishlists sometimes. Firstly I doubt they would get mad at you for using their idea and secondly there are some realy good ideas. I seriously doubt that your fans would shun you for using a few of the better ideas.No one man (no matter how amazing) can come up with an infinite number of ideas. Just saying...

[ Friday, June 01, 2007 18:00: Message edited by: The Duke ]

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #60
Erika was in both Avernum 2 and Avernum 3. You have no excuse for not knowing the name Redmark. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #61
Well if memory serves (which it probobly doesn't) the game doesn't mention Erika's name as Redmark. All I realy remember about her is that she is an insanely powerful magician who could probobly anialate the entire empire if not for her curse.

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #62
From A2:

quote:
You step into the Tower of Erika Redmark, greatest living mage in Avernum. She is a dangerous and mercurial incantatrix, and her power is matched only by her hatred of the Empire.
Although Erika is identified with "Redmark" surprisingly little. Apparently, she was so well known that no one ever needed to mention her surname.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #63
A5 will probably mention the plot of A4, such as it is, but you can get everything you need to know in one sentence. The entire game can be summarized handily in one short paragraph.

—Alorael, who wouldn't worry about Redmarks either. Erika is only briefly mentioned in A4, and her family is brand new in A5.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #64
In A5..I hope there will be new traits..
Also..let there be advantage disadvantage Traits..

I.E.
Solid Body-Your body is as solid as a stubborn cave cow..You will receive less damage from all physical attacks but due to your being solid, you will be slower and be prone to be hit by all attacks..

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #65
Regarding the new traits available in A5, there is one word.

Chitrach!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Regarding the new traits available in A5, there is one word.

Chitrach!

I was hoping for a second word. Specifically, "muffin".
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #67
How about a Chitrachslayer Blade?

Wait, that's actually a good idea.

How about a Chitrachslayer Blade? Please.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #68
Even better would be an anti-chitrach area weapon: the Wand of Raid. This would explain why chitrachs are so much less common in A5.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

From A2:

quote:
You step into the Tower of Erika Redmark, greatest living mage in Avernum. She is a dangerous and mercurial incantatrix, and her power is matched only by her hatred of the Empire.
Although Erika is identified with "Redmark" surprisingly little. Apparently, she was so well known that no one ever needed to mention her surname.

Dikiyoba.

Given that hardly anybody else is called by their surname (if they even have one), perhaps they're more of an honorific than a necessity.

The world is rural and not heavily populated, so first names would suffice. Only few people have surnames, and they all appear to be from a noble family. (Only Redmark and Krizsan come to mind right now)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #70
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

How about a Chitrachslayer Blade?

Wait, that's actually a good idea.

How about a Chitrachslayer Blade? Please.

"The Legendary Chitrachslayer was used by the first Vahnatai exploration party to explore these caverns, and was attempted to be used in the battle to imprison the Chitrach Lord Argh-Hot and to allow them to claim these caves their own. Their efforts failed however, and the blade was broken into three seperate pieces, one piece taken by the nefarious Cheeseball, one by the Not-All-That-Dark-But-Not-Quite-Light-Either Slithzerikai, and one by the Leech Drat. Can you recover Chitrachslayer and imprison the Chitrach Lord Argh-Hot once more?"

[ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 02:47: Message edited by: Chicken ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

The world is rural and not heavily populated, so first names would suffice.
But this isn't true of any historic rural worlds with an Ermarian level of civilization. Furthermore, much of the surface is heavily populated by the Empire, and people clearly came to Exile from there. Names just aren't use much. That's all.

And the games give us Erika Redmark, Rita Cskany, Carol Hamer, Patrick Padraig, Cecile Vidican, Gabor Krizsan, Mariann Krizsan, Tor Gunston, Jordan Bojar, Gilda Radner, Genevieve Radner.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #72
quote:

Patrick Padraig
I have an uncle named Terence Patrick Patrick. It's a long story involving an overenthusiastic priest.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #73
quote:

Gilda Radner
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/GildaRadner.jpg/220px-GildaRadner.jpg)
I never noticed that before.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5631
Profile #74
'ey, Mistah Vogel.

As long as the games seem to be getting more similar to Fallout... can we get crazy perks? :v

Pages