How does wearing armor affect spell casting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How does wearing armor affect spell casting
Apprentice
Member # 6618
Profile #0
The game throws some hints that both are related, but nothing specific. I have a mage wearing some armor and he is not affected so far. He has "Natural mage" trait and it sais that it helps wearing more armor while casting. But how much armor can a mage wear and how spellcasting is affected?
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #1
Wearing armor will give a chance that a spell fails. That means the mana and action points are wasted and the spell remains un-cast.

Any armor that gives encumbrance will increase the fail chance.

The natural-mage trait allows up to -20% encumbrance before the fail chance starts to kick in.

But I'd take the trait for its bonus rank in mage casting skills more than its anti-encumbrance effect, as my mages usually don't have enough strength to wear heavy armor anyway.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Apprentice
Member # 6618
Profile #2
10x, this is useful to know. By "gives encumbrance" you mean the armor that is "bulky" and gives penalty for to hit chance, right?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Yes, encumberance is that -X% chance to hit.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure what the conversion is between hit reduction and spellcasting penalty. It might be a 5% chance to miscast for every 5% reduction in accuracy, but it might not be. He's never used enough armor to notice.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #4
No, there is no casting failure in this game. Encumberance simply prevent you from casting mage spells (with the exception of a few bottom level ones) at all. Without natural mage only 5% is allowed. With will add your tolerance to 25%.

It is not as important as you think. In late game, top shields, gauntlets, and helmets no longer encumbrance. Only heavy armors does, except emerald chestguard. So even I have the natural mage trait, My mage ends up with 0 encumbrance.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
I thought you couldn't even cast the low-level ones in A4, but I could be wrong.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #6
The documentation of game mechanics is one of my pet peves. I hope it will be improved in A5.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Keep hoping. Most of the old players ignore the documentation and miss the changes that do make it into it.