Not Enough Skill Points

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Not Enough Skill Points
Warrior
Member # 7980
Profile #0
Hi,
I need help.

I'm near the end of the game, and I still don't have enough skill points along with armor, etc. for full protection or tool use to open any doors over 22. I saw one cabinet that had a 90! tool use requirement. How are these higher scores attainable when you have to spread your skill points among other necessary abilities?

Secondly, how does first aid work. Does having just one character buy skill points enough for everyone, or should each character buy first aid.

Third, does any merchant sell herbs, especially spiritual herbs?

Thanks
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Alright, it's been a little while since I cracked open A4, but I can answer some of your questions.

First, those incredibly difficult doors have really mediocre rewards behind them. Trust me, I opened them, and it wasn't worth it. For future reference though, the most powerful method for unlocking doors is to give your mage a lot of tool use skill, and just use Unlock Doors.

As for skill points in general, there are several sages that sell or make knowledge brews (Craftmaster Shrine is one near the end, I believe).

There are definitely a few merchants that sell herbs, but I can't remember any specific names. In the end, you find way more in dungeons and random corners of the 'outdoors'.

And lastly, I can't remember exactly how first aid works.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
1) Some objects just aren't meant to be unlocked except by doing a quest. Other higher difficulty doors (such as the 22 you mentioned) usually require a mage casting Unlock Doors. Note that the spell is more effective if the mage is the one with the Tool Use. Also, it's physically impossible to get full, total protection. Even Invulnerability doesn't make you impervious to attack.

2) First Aid works by equating the total amount inside your party. Thus, spreading it around is generally better for two reasons. First, it's cheaper on skill points. Secondly, if a character dies, his skill in First Aid is not counted. So it's best to keep fairly even amounts of First Aid throughout the party.

3) Yes, but I don't know exactly where. I think there might be one in Formello.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
The specific cabinet you're talking about with 90 tool use required is just a teaser, by the way. You're not meant to be able to open it, and there's nothing in it anyway.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:57: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
There is an old topic from last year that explains how to allocate points to be able to open extreme difficulty doors. Good luck finding it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
It actually isn't all that hard to open most locked doors and cabinets with Unlock Doors; the difficulty-40 doors can be opened with 15 or so Tool Use and 10 or so Magery and Spellcraft (which is very achievable by the endgame, which is where you find said doors), and anything above 40 is usually so far above 40 that it's unopenable without cheating, and there's nothing behind any of them anyway.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #6
the highest tool use check in the game, other than unlocking doors, is rank 16.
You can find one item in the game granting +1 TU and one other type of item granting +2 TU, so if you just get rank 13 TU, you have all TU that you ever need.

Since TU synereses with the spell "unlock" you should make your thief also the party mage.

The power of unlock is effected by:
1: the level of unlock in your spellbook (so do buy training in this spell, as well as reading tomes of lore)
2: the rank you have in mage spells (should be about 18 because that is all you need to be able to cast all 20 spells in your mage's spellbook)
3: the ranks you have in spellcraft and magery.
4: and, as mentioned, the rank you have in the TU skill. (should be 13+3)

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by SevenMass:

the highest tool use check in the game, other than unlocking doors, is rank 16.
You can find one item in the game granting +1 TU and one other type of item granting +2 TU, so if you just get rank 13 TU, you have all TU that you ever need.

Since TU synereses with the spell "unlock" you should make your thief also the party mage.
The power of unlock is effected by:
1: the level of unlock in your spellbook (so do buy training in this spell, as well as reading tomes of lore)
2: the rank you have in mage spells (should be about 18 because that is all you need to be able to cast all 20 spells in your mage's spellbook)
3: the ranks you have in spellcraft and magery.
4: and, as mentioned, the rank you have in the TU skill. (should be 13+3)

The formula is (0.75)(1+2+3)+4
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #8
Nearart,there is a slith in Patrick's Tower that sell energetic herbs and other alchemical ingredients

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.