Avernum Favorites

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum Favorites
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Four questions about favorite characters and places.

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=PqMlUYZTjeQh"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=PqMlUYZTjeQh"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I'm glad to see that people weren't lying when they said Avernum 2 was their favourite game :P . Rescuing the crystal souls is by far the most fun there is to have. :)

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
I was most surprised to find that the majority of people (so far) picked Formello like me. What is it about that city? I guess it has political intrigue, good quests, good surrounding dungeons. Perhaps it is the fact that it is one of first major city we visit in most of the games. Perhaps that means Jeff just did a better job on it than the later ones (Dharmon, Blossk). Either way, it's a good city, solid, if you will.

In conclusion: Victory for Rentar!!!

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Formello also has the most attractive landscaping and the generally speaking the least proximity to horrible monsters and/or foes of humanity.

—Alorael, who somehow never thought of the nephilim in A1 or the undead in A2 as especially close to Formello even though Formello gives out the quests. As for shades, Formello's seemed like the least disastrous one.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #4
-X- chose Erika Redmark, X (Hmmm, -X- wonders why... ;) ), Patrick's Tower, and Kill Sss-Thsss and Grah-Hoth.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
The one thing I hated about Formello was all the merchants wandering around the city trying to sell you stuff. They were almost as bad as that one heard of cows that followed you in the Great Cave.

X should probably have been considered a major character. Among all those minor characters, he really stands out.

Who voted for Camp Samuels? Was that an accident?

I hope at least one person votes for Bon-Ihrno.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
Motrax, Rita, Dharmon, Crystal Souls.

The first three are all marginal decisions (could have chosen Formello instead, for instance). The last one is a head-and-shoulders-above dead cert.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #7
Soldberg, Scab & Asp (I consider X to be a major character, too, but couldn't vote for him and went with the dynamic duo. :P ), Bargha, Kill Garzahd.

[ Monday, October 23, 2006 13:39: Message edited by: skeleton_archer ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Motrax, X, Formello, and Rescue Crystal Souls.

Motrax... he was just likeable. X was too, in that "you're completely insane, aren't you?" kind of way.

I agree that Formello was a rather peaceful place. Well, except for the cavequakes, the link to the vahnatai, the Black Shade of Death, and the ghost in the inn. But it was an awfully pretty town.

As for Rescuing the Crystal Souls, well... I have that at roughly the same level as Bring Down the Barriers, simply because it was a well-done plot with the vahnatai. Storming Ornotha is definitely one of my better memories of the first time I played A2.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
Eh, Avernum was never truly about characters, it was about doing quests, getting loot, and killing things. Erika, Solberg, Bon-Ihrno, and Rentar-Ihrno are the closest we get to actual characters, and there isn't a lot to them other than their primary motivations for what they do.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Motrax, Elspeth and Nance, Patrick's Tower, and Rescue the Crystal Souls.

Voting on a favorite reoccuring character was difficult, since Dikiyoba has only played A2 and about half the demo of the others.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Who voted for Camp Samuels? Was that an accident?
I did. And no, this was not an accident.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
I've always liked Formello. In E1 it seemed less boring than all the other Six Cities, possibly because it wasn't just plunked down in the middle of a big cave. (Except Dharmon; Dharmon was interesting and had that great description.) All those little windy tunnels were fun to explore. It's the main city in Chapter one of E2, which remains one of the best-balanced and (imho) most fun parts of any Spiderweb game. It's also near Motrax, who appears to be very popular among people who took this poll, and Solberg's Tower as well. And it must get some cachet from being the first contact with Bon-Ihrno.

In A4, Formello and Silvar seem to have way more sane residents than the other cities, though that could just be because they had a kinder Shade.

Also, see Formello.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #13
I'm interested in why, Nioca.

Still no votes for Bon-Ihrno. Almost makes me want to insert one of those little sad faces. Almost.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #14
I picked the Tower of Magi, but Formello is also nice.
quote:
...that one heard of cows that followed you in the Great Cave.
They we so annoying.
I'm glad to see that someone else likes Athron. I find it suprizing that I'm the only one who likes the assassinate Hawthorne quest.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I think I'll explain the return to the surface quest a bit. The actual process of finding bits of password and running the final gauntlet isn't fun. The idea is: you're given an entire game to explore while looking for exits, and there are several promising passages that end. I think it could have been played up more, but as is it serves as a perfect justification for a huge portion of the game.

—Alorael, who guesses that he thinks the surface quest has the most potential. In reality he things of all the major quests as series of smaller quests with good parts and boring parts.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
BTW, the reason X isn't listed as a major character is that he is 100% insignificant to the plot and backstory of every game in the series. He has nothing to do with any major events or major quests, or for that matter any minor events.

The criteria for being a major character was mainly having major relevance to plot and story, and also having a large chunk of dialogue either spoken by or spoken about the character. Honestly, Anastasia's a lot closer to a major character than X is, and she's not either.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #17
Yea but Who does't like "X"? though solberg was alot cooler

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I'm interested in why, Nioca.
Because it's the one place that I could actually sort of kick back and relax in, and the one place that didn't have the same air of panic as the rest of the cities in Avernum. Also, in A2, it was the first place I had found magic lockpicks, and in A4, it was the only way to get through Almaria. I think those are excellent reasons for choosing Camp Samuels.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
Exiled Necromancer gets a "Plm" point due to his unimaginative name and inability to use actual English.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
-X-, please refrain from posting just to say that someone has earned a point in your book.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #21
-X- is sorry, but how else would he let people know? And, by the way "Book" is capitalized.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

Exiled Necromancer gets a "Plm" point due to his unimaginative name and inability to use actual English.
Given that your name appears quite similar to his, you think you would know that 'X' is not a necromancer!

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #23
If -X- were X, he would at least dabble in necromancy, just to have some knowledge of it's workings and to be able to identify spells being used. And he did summon that shade in Avernum 4.

And. . . The name -X- is similar to Exiled Necromancer? How? -X-'s name isn't overly imaginative, either, but other than that, nothing.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
Err, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about a user on the boards.

Whoops!

--------------------