Crossbows

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Crossbows
BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #0
Has anyone else missed crossbows in A4. Sadly I just noticed my third time trying {not beating} the game and currently in mertis.
Or is a crossbow a empire weapon. {though it's on A1 and A2} or did jeff just not want to make sweet graphics for it. like ALL other A4 items. Main reason I play actually. to stare at the demonslayer all day. Good use of time! :rolleyes:

--------------------
Don't be a noob, PLAY RUNESCAPE

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
-Save yourself and let them suffer
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Yes, I too missed crossbows. Of course, Longbows were a good replacement, as was the Heartstriker Bow.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Without arrows and bolts, ranged weapons that aren't themselves ammunition are all interchangeable. There wouldn't be a difference between bows and crossbows anyway, except possibly in AP, so it doesn't matter.

—Alorael, who wonders if luxury products made from exotic cavewood from Avernum are strong sellers among the Empire's rich and bored. Sure, cavewood bows might be bad for serious use, but they make good conversation pieces, and you can always claim that you took it from the body of the Worm who killed your father.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
I've always wondered if a well-made cavewood bow can best a surface bow. I think that Craftmaster Shrine could assemble something pretty impressive.

Yeah... crossbows were fun.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Surface bows were always better than cavewood bows. That's why the first thing you do when you encounter Empire archers is kill them for their weapon.

I think crossbows disappeared to simplify the weapon system.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
Crossbows were always meant to be superior to a bow of comparable quality. Bows are plenty strong enough already, so crossbows would need a major handicap in order to keep them balanced in gameplay. Either that or the bows would have to be replaced with identical crossbows to preserve continuity.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Crossbows aren't necessarily superior, they are just used in a different way, generally faster and easier in combat.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Glory of Glorycles:

Crossbows aren't necessarily superior, they are just used in a different way, generally faster and easier in combat.
He meant in Avernum, not in real life. Crossbows always do more damage than comparable bows in Avernum, so they're superior in that sense.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Crossbows were originally inferior. They had less range, less power, and less accuracy than a longbow in the hands of a skilled archer, and after the first shot is fired a crossbow has a much longer reload time. The advantage is that crossbows are point and shoot weapons. Any idiot can kill someone with one, which is probably why the Church feared idiots with crossbows.

—Alorael, who isn't really sure when the hand crossbow overtook the longbow in power or even if the distinction was useful. Longbows could punch through armor, and dead is dead no matter how impressive the hole is.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Interesting topic. Wikipedia says:

"In the later years of the crossbow it had enough kinetic energy to penetrate any chainmail and most plate armor hit squarely: some reached a draw force of nearly 350 lbf (1600 N), compared to the 60-180lbf (300-900 N) draw force for a longbow. Moreover, crossbows could be kept cocked and ready to shoot for some time with little effort, allowing crossbowmen to aim better and lessen the reaction time to fire compared to a bowman. Because archers could not keep their powerful bows pulled for long periods of time they aimed by pulling their bows a bit to put the bow in a strung stance, and they pulled the bow to the full pull length just right before they wanted to release the arrow."

"They almost completely superseded hand bows in many European armies in the twelfth century for a number of reasons. Although an expertly handled longbow had greater range, equal accuracy and faster rate of fire than an average crossbow, the value of the crossbow came in its simplicity: it could be used effectively after a week of training, while a comparable single-shot skill with a longbow could take years of practice. The invention of pushlever and ratchet drawing mechanisms enabled the use of crossbows on horseback."

And this sounds neat:

"Crossbowmen among the Flemish citizens in the army of Richard Lionheart, and others, had two servants, two crossbows and a pavise shield to protect the men. One of the servants had the task of reloading the weapons, while the second subordinate would carry and hold the pavise (the archer himself also wore protective armor). Such a three-man team could fire 8 shots per minute, compared to a single crossbowman's 3 shots per minute."

This is also cool: Cho-Ko-Nu

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
A4 Bows are already effectively all Adlerauge (minus the insane damage) with their infinite ammo.

Which is in line with the only way to make it challenging being basically to play it Creator-style, with a singleton in Torment.

---

Given that, I guess adding crossbows would be overkill, quite literally.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 08:46: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Glory of Glorycles:

"In the later years of the crossbow it had enough kinetic energy to penetrate any chainmail and most plate armor hit squarely..."
One thing of note is that a 5-year-old with a toothpick could pierce chainmail. It wasn't nearly as durable as most people think. And that pretty much says all I have to say on this topic.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
A toothpick can penetrate chainmail easily because it slips through the holes. A sword, I suppose, can pierce chainmail by having a lot of force behind it. I imagine that mail really worked best at deflecting slashes and stopping glancing blows.

—Alorael, who still thinks that smashing holes in plate armor was a big deal. Archers were the tank killers of pre-firearm warfare. They were pretty cheap, too.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #13
Don't diss chainmail because you think it was ineffective. Diss it because it was heavy and expensive.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
Why can't it be because it was expensive, heavy, AND ineffective?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Where's TM when you need him? Alas!

—Alorael, who maybe should be worried about why certain TM-only comments sprang immediately to mind.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #16
What evidence do you have that it was that ineffective? Of course it could not withstand a full on stab, but it could stop all glancing blows and slashes. Also, could a five-year-old pierce chainmail with a knife? I don't have any direct evidence for that, but I'd seriously doubt it considering that I've taken a few token stabs at modern renditions of chainmail.

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
Why would you need TM here? :confused:

EDIT: A modern rendition of what chainmail used to be like is not the same as a real suit of old-fashioned chainmail. It could stand up to swords fairly well. But if someone came at you with a spear, bow, or crossbow, you wouldn't last long.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 08:51: Message edited by: Ghouloca ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ghouloca:

As Alorael said, sometimes you get these TM-like comments into your head. Somebody has to actually say them, or the pressure eventually builds up and we all explode.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

As Alorael said, sometimes you get these TM-like comments into your head. Somebody has to actually say them, or the pressure eventually builds up and we all explode.
Tell me when that is about to happen, so I can place myself behind something nice and sturdy. :)

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
What good will that do? Ephesos said "we all explode." That means you too, Nioca.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

What would TM say?

—Alorael, who is not terribly familiar with the mechanics of chainmail. He'd like to think that those wearing it would have avoided it if it were as ineffective as you think. It certainly wasn't comfortable enough for casual wear!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Remember the Alorael:

quote:

What would TM say?

Just for posterity:

Alorael's mother is expensive, heavy, and ineffective.

God forbid there should be a single generation that doesn't know who TM is, because they'll be blindsided. But just in case...

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #23
I've worn chainmail made from fireplace mesh.

Chainmail over padded leather was actually good armor. Better than plate in some ways, more mobility.

People seem to forget that there was other inventions that made plate obsolete, other than crossbows and guns.

Reinforced maces.

Lucern hammers.

Pollaxes.

Footman's hammer with pick and point. The handle doubled as a crowbar, for peeling a knight out of his armor, and on top of the hammer head was a good foot long spike for stabbing after you softened him up a bit.

Flanged maces with armor piercing flanges.

War bars. (A crude length of iron with a knob at one end, and a crow bar hook at the other. A rather crude club, but was highly effective in the crusades.)

All of these made plate mail worthless, or worse, a liability. A crushing blow with a heavy hammer would crimp and deform even the best made gothic plates. A man could be trained to render a knight completely helpless in a few blows. Even heavy shields did nothing to stop furious hammer blows, pavices, round shields, all would crumple and your arm would break.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #24
quote:
People seem to forget that there was other inventions that made plate obsolete, other than crossbows and guns.
Let's not forget how many knights were killed by tripping and falling facefirst into seemingly innocent puddles of water. Armor was pretty damn heavy.

Pages