Avernum Tactics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum Tactics
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Rent-an-Ihrno:

hmm. every avernum needs at least 1 major enemy. what would that be? not the sliths and demons again.. maybe a grand goblin infestation. or dragons. or both. or draglins.
GIFTs

[ Tuesday, August 01, 2006 07:24: Message edited by: Toenail RETURNS ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #26
The Mahnatii, a race of short, bloated, purple humanoids who live in a shallower layer of freezing cold caverns, and wield a powerful alien magic based on doughs and batters. After their last great millennial feast, they exercised their innate ability to lie around in sluggish torpor for centuries. They have just awoken, and they're peckish.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #27
There are a lot of creatures that could be good enemies, troglodytes, giants, ogres and other large cave dwellers would have been here first, also aranea, chitrachs, hydras, wyrms, slimes.

There would be no cave trees. There would be no cave cows. You would have to somehow find a way to get them from the surface, the first secret portal used to steal cows, sheep, alchemical ingredients, and trees and stuff like that. You would have to somehow tame the first cave lizards. Learn how to make mushroom beer all kinds of things.

You would also have to do a lot of trading and plotting. Somehow you would have to deal with the first slith to get various things from the caves.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
Alternatively, you could go far enough into the settling of Avernum where Erika/the Triad created the moss and the trees... otherwise, it would be very, very dark for the entire game. (Like A4!)

Hm... there's an idea. Set a game early in the settling process, and try to track down any surviving member(s) of the First Expedition... because... they know something? Came in contact with Vahnatai and it all gets hushed up after the endgame?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

used to steal... trees and stuff like that.
What are they for?

—Alorael, who would put that in his signature if he had one in which he could put anything.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #30
quote:
Came in contact with Vahnatai and it all gets hushed up after the endgame?

I think the Vahnatai were sleeping at the time of the First Expedition. There were a few places in A1 where you found hints of their presence.

The First Expediton time to the sealing of Grah-Hoth by the Triad was almost all fighting against the demons. Although the First Expedition lost some members to the Sliths in the Mertis Spiral and the Nephs in the breaking of Demonslayer.

You could start after the sealing of Grah-Hoth and do it up to the creation of the Castle under King Micah. That would leave most of the cities relatively small and plenty of places to explore.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I think the Vahnatai were sleeping at the time of the First Expedition. There were a few places in A1 where you found hints of their presence.
Yes, and that's what would make one isolated Vahnatai sighting even more impressive/foreboding/unbelievable. It would do interesting things to the plot... and it would approximate the whole "I saw aliens" cliche.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 7314
Profile #32
The timescale could be different. It isn't a few hundred days - it takes many years to advance through unsettled lands and build cities.
Maybe the party starts to grow old - lose some strength, gain some wisdom.

--------------------
Kaa
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by kaa:

The timescale could be different. It isn't a few hundred days - it takes many years to advance through unsettled lands and build cities.
Maybe the party starts to grow old - lose some strength, gain some wisdom.

I would hate it if it took me forever to train up my super PC only to have him get rheumatoid Averthritis or something.

quote:
Originally written by The Story of Quid:

You have that backwards. No one in their right mind would move into a bunch of caves full of ravenous monsters. Fortunately, the Empire was quite willing to throw people in by force. Cities came somewhat later.
Maybe I gave the wrong impression in my post, but the point I was trying to make is the very point you made at the end there: the First Expedition could not have been founders of the first Avernite cities not only because they were supposedly dead but also because it was quite a few years before the cities were built. My proposed deviation from canon was to have the cities be built almost immediately so that the timelines could overlap without too much magically protracted longevity for the First Expedition.

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 20:34: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
The First Expedition was made up of explorers sent by the Empire. The cities were built by undesirables banished to the cave. Any overlap would require more than just changing the timeline. It would require a point during which the Empire was trying to settle, which makes no sense because nobody wants to live in a cave.

—Alorael, who will ignore the loonies who decide to live in caves in A4. They probably inhaled too much cave flora.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 12:52: Message edited by: Al and the Beanstalk ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #35
There are things in caves which the empire would want-- specifically metals, minerals, and gems. Nothing like a sulphur, gem, or gold mine to make an imperial happy. Send the happy exiles to work in the pits and bring back the goods.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Pages