Easy/Med/Hard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Easy/Med/Hard
Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #0
What is the difference between the easy/med/hard settings? I like to breeze through games without getting my rear end handed to me, so I usually play them on easy. I have been playing A IV or easy, and switched to med, and the fights seemed a little harder (my characters we not doing as much damange and they seemed to be taking more damage) but nothing dramatic. Do my characters get any more experience when I play medium than when I play easy? Are there more enemies to fight at the harder skill levels? Are there any other differences? Thanks.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
The main difference is that the monsters have more health. I think they have a higher chance to hit and deal more damage, though you would have to confirm that yourself since I basically never play on anything other than Torment.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Difficulty setting affects monster level. When their level is higher, they have more HP, better to-hit and to-dodge rates, and do more damage.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Anti-Fairy:

Difficulty setting affects monster level. When their level is higher, they have more HP, better to-hit and to-dodge rates, and do more damage.
Is that true? Does that mean my party wil get more XP, because they fight higher level monsters?

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
quote:
Is that true? Does that mean my party wil get more XP, because they fight higher level monsters?

It means that you will have to work harder to stay the same as an easier level. It's supposed to be a challenge,
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

It means that you will have to work harder to stay the same as an easier level. It's supposed to be a challenge,
Obviously. But that doesn't answer my question. XP gain depends on the differents between character level and monster level.

I always though that higher diffeculty just gave monsters more HP and a higher dodge/to-hit, but John Paul v. Jean-Paul said it gives the monsters a higher level, and the increased HP and dodge/to-hit is because of the higher level. If he speaks the truth then my character should also get more XP.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
You don't get more XP for the higher level. The monster's level for calculating XP remains the same, but the difficulty in killing it increases and its ability to hit you increases.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

You don't get more XP for the higher level. The monster's level for calculating XP remains the same, but the difficulty in killing it increases and its ability to hit you increases.
Thank you! Ah, bummer, I always liked to ramp up the diffeculty in Diablo 2 with the playerX command. Creatures get more HP so they are harder to defeat, but you'll get more XP at the same time.
No such luck in A4...

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by SevenMass:

quote:
Thank you! Ah, bummer, I always liked to ramp up the diffeculty in Diablo 2 with the playerX command. Creatures get more HP so they are harder to defeat, but you'll get more XP at the same time.
That seems like it defeats the entire purpose of playing on a higher difficulty. If you get more experience, you gain more levels. If you gain more levels, the higher-level monsters become easier to defeat, and you're back to unchallenging combat.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by SevenMass:

quote:
That seems like it defeats the entire purpose of playing on a higher difficulty. If you get more experience, you gain more levels. If you gain more levels, the higher-level monsters become easier to defeat, and you're back to unchallenging combat.

Dikiyoba.

Though to give a cent for Diablo-Hellfire it was balanced there. I mean the combat on higher levels was still challenging despite gaining more XP and levelups. The funny thing was to fight with your player, who had finished the hardest mode, in the easyest. Monsters literally died after they tried to hit me, so I just walked through without clicking :) Just for fun, but not to feel myself an archangel. :P

---------------------------------
Voices tell me I liked feeling myself a demiurg, though I shall never confess in that.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba.

Isn't it always so in these types of games that your character becomes more powerfull when he fights tough battles, or does diffecult quests, and this new power allows him to more easily fight even harder opponents and do even more diffecult quests? The more diffecult the challance the higher the reward.

The way it works in D2 is that the curve moves a bit diffrent than otherwise, at some point you will be a bit more ahead of the curve, but at the end the curve will pass you again. Being ahead of the curve means you have a higher chance to hit, but you still have to remove more HP's. And the longer the creatures stay alive, the more dmg they can do to you.

Anyway, D2 is not the most balanced game in the world but I think It can be done so that a higher diffeculty makes things more diffecult while upping the reward at the same time.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
But what's the point? It requires a careful balancing effort by the programmer(s) above and beyond balancing the game on normal difficulty for a result that is, if all things go right, no different from just increasing the difficulty.

—Alorael, who can imagine some fun limiting cases. What happens when every monster is impossible to defeat with anything but infinite power but you also get infinite experience just from existing? Unstoppable force and immovable barrier?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Proctors don't gambol:

But what's the point?
For Diablo or Diablo 2 there's almost none, just more hack'n'slashing all the way down. For an RPG or an FPS, which involve along with more HP, Int and Def to the monsters, more AI with higher level of difficulty however there is a point. For a player that means that he won't be able to pass through encounters using the same primitive strategy he used on an Easy level. Such as precasting certain spells, reordering group, drinking cetain potions, choosing right location, etc. before the combat. I'm not talking now about Avernum, for I'm not sure AI of monsters changes with higher level.
quote:

It requires a careful balancing effort by the programmer(s) above and beyond balancing the game on normal difficulty for a result that is, if all things go right, no different from just increasing the difficulty.
Huh... Too hard to get the main idea, what you were up to say by that. Sorry. Isn't the increasing of the difficulty always imply balancing the game above the normal difficulty?
quote:
What happens when every monster is impossible to defeat with anything but infinite power but you also get infinite experience just from existing?
Player's synapsis study new ways through player's brain curves(Eng?), allowing him to find the right way to defeat something, which seemes undefeatable. That's the trick of playing some RPG, RTS and even some FPS. :)
------------------------
Voices tell me that my English is still too poor to follow the sterling communication. I tell them that people here are wise enough to understand what I meant to say, hopefully. :)

[ Thursday, June 08, 2006 19:25: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #13
quote:

But what's the point?
What is the point of any game?

Yeah, I know that the higher degree of challance is in and of itself rewarding, but still... If a higher diffeculty would give some ingame rewards aswell, it would add to the enjoyment of playing at that higher diffeculty. At least, to me! But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

I'm sure it is possible to balance it right! Just look at it this way, if you want "hard" to be 100% more diffecult than normal and give 50% more XP, and each 1% more exp makes it 1% less diffecult, then you just make diffeculty hard 150% more diffecult and give your character 50% more xp, this way, you get more reward but it stays 100% more diffecult. Or something like it. Same for giving extra equipment as a reward.

Is it to much more efford to balance it for Jeff? I don't know. And I don't think it is importand in this discussion.
I'm merely saying it is possible, and that I would prefer it.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
FP, I understand Diablo's difficulty levels, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that parties that have finished Avernum should restart and play through Avernum with monsters on steroids.

SevenMass, if you want a difficulty increase of 100%, why not just make monsters 100% harder? (That's a difficult enough problem. What's 100% harder?) Consider this problem: On torment, let's suppose monsters give 30% more experience. Someone slaughters goblins and such in the beginning with relative ease because goblins are easy no matter how high the difficulty is. Then this player runs into Nociduas. Oops, now higher difficulty is impossible. The player turns it back down to normal and now is playing at normal with 30% more experience than he should have, which makes normal easy. Oops.

Seriously, I think balancing challenges and rewards for difficulty is either going to be meaningless or too hard for a basically one-man outfit. If you want the game to be harder, crank it up to harder. Give yourself some free experience with cheats if you'd like.

—Alorael, who once played an adventure-ish RPG in which poor planning resulted in the game becoming progressively more difficult to complete as you turned the difficulty down. The rewards overpowered the increased difficulty. Unfortunately, he can't remember the name of the game, but it's a rather old one.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #15
"If you want to become smarter you'll have to play with a smarter opponent". For me that means, that when I increase the difficulty level in any game, I prefer to see monsters behaving in a much more intelligent way. I know, it is hard to create, since it involves separate training of AI for Easy/Medium/Hard levels. And training AI is still one of not so fully studied things, though there are some interesting knowhow for games.
Definitely I don't want just to see monsters on steroids and nothing else after increasing difficulty level. :)

----------------------
Though voices are not sure that if there was any selfstudying AI in the games which I play I should ever win. I tell them, I can study, too. No doubt.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
While it's hard to make an AI that actually plays in a realistically smart way, it's not all that hard to make an AI that cheats (e.g. knowing all the PCs' resistances and weaknesses in advance, and choosing attacks accordingly). One could always have an AI that cheats more at higher difficulties.

[ Friday, June 09, 2006 20:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

One could always have an AI that cheats more at higher difficulties.
I wonder if Avernum includes at least this sort of AI?

---------------------------
Voices keep silent. It's not of their interest, probably.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
From everything we've seen, Avernum has only one AI, and it's an AI that doesn't cheat and doesn't learn.

—Alorael, who has been enjoying Angband with some very nice options. Specifically, one can make monsters more intelligent, more intelligent in groups, able to learn from experience, and able to target weaknesses. Those options are smart_monsters, smart_packs, smart_learn, and smart_cheat, respectively.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Ap'str'e:

From everything we've seen, Avernum has only one AI, and it's an AI that doesn't cheat and doesn't learn.
You can sort of make your own AI in Blades of Avernum, though. (but you'd have to do it for every monster. Yikes.)

EDIT : Okay, it's actually pretty limited, but you can still do some cool things.

[ Saturday, June 10, 2006 09:45: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
Jeff could tweak the AI for torment to keep targeting a character instead of retargetting each round on the last one that damaged. It would end the strategy of two widely spaced characters alternating attacks to keep monsters running back and forth.

Also have monsters not run past a character to get at another. Although that prevents them from wasting attacks on a shield character.