whats this?!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: whats this?!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

Linus sounds indeed quite diffgerent then what I thought it would be, its just that on the pictures in the books it looks so much like Windows. So its completely different and free? The only problem is that I would have to get new hardware or not? I suppose my windows woulnd't be able to also have Linux on it.
Linux my friend, Linux. Linus Torvalds was the guy who started it all, and IIRC, still contributes and/or manages some of Linux's kernel. Linux has been installed on everything from iPod Nano's to a washing machine. (I'm not joking here, by the way. Thuryl's toaster quip is more accurate than I think he imagined. Some people have way too much time on their hands.)

There are dozens of distributions of Linux - each with its own feel and way of doing things. At its core it's entirely command line based, but there are various 'Windows Managers' you can run on X Windows (Neither are related to Micro$oft Windows.)

It is entirely possible to have more than one operating system installed on any given system, my current machine used to be dual boot, but the Linux distro I had was missing the Man pages. Classic, huh?

It is even possible to 'convert' an existing single boot system to a dual boot (or multi boot, if you so desire.) You will need to be able to use fdisk, disk druid, or some other partioning program that can split an existing partion. If you do not have even the slightest clue of what I am talking about, start reading up on it. Heavily - switching to Linux (or indeed, any OS other than one you are familiar with), without learning a lot about it first will almost guarantee ongoing problems.

[ Saturday, December 10, 2005 01:55: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #26
Yes, Linux, I know. It was a typo.

And yes, I have no idea what you are talking about. All this bussines with two OS's on one computer sounds strange to me, and the thing with the washing machine.... Ahem, okaaaaay....

Anyway, thanks for the information. The chance that I will do anything with Linux now is quite small, but thanks anyway.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 6503
Profile #27
I dual boot into Mac OS 10.4 and Ubuntu Linux. My only qualm is that Airport isn't really compatible with Linux at all, Qualcomm won't release the driver specs or even the source code for the drivers. Some enterprising open-source guru will probably be able to create a driver, but it'll be a while.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #28
NO!!! It isn't out yet!!! :mad:The world is a lie!!!*pulls out a machine gun* There's only one way to fix it!!!*starts shooting at everything that moves*

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #29
Calm down, calm down! If you had any idea how much work we've put into making sure the game is playable, you'd be glad that it isn't out yet. That means that Jeff is fixing stuff we found that was horribly, horribly wrong! (hopefully)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #30
This kind of behavior is, sadly, nothing out of the ordinary. Certain individuals, whose names I need not mention :rolleyes: , became emotionally unstable during the week before the release of Geneforge 3 and exhibited very similar violent tendencies towards themselves (and reality in general).

We — uh, I mean, [b]they[/b] — also became extremely silly.

This condition is termed anticipatory withdrawl, and is defined as being suddenly addicted to and then deprived of a substance which has yet to be introduced to the nervous system.

EDIT: I'm not typing very well today. I wonder why…

[ Saturday, December 10, 2005 15:52: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #31
Nah. I was just messin with you guys. :D

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
I am expecting to see a surge in new members by the time the January stats come around, too. Happens whenever a new game gets out - look at GF3, the joining and post rates almost doubled in a month.

These forums are going to be a little less quiet and peaceful for some time... :-/

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
It is even possible to 'convert' an existing single boot system to a dual boot (or multi boot, if you so desire.) You will need to be able to use fdisk, disk druid, or some other partioning program that can split an existing partion.
Fdisk can only create and delete partions, not modify them. I personaly use Partition Magic for Windows. I don't know if there is a comparable program for mac or not.

[ Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:33: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.

Pages