Skill spreading

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Skill spreading
Apprentice
Member # 6861
Profile #0
I recently asked this about first aid and than realized I knew nothing about most skills besides. Could anyone give me some info on what skills must be focused on one character and what skill dont have to be?

--------------------
Blue.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #1
The skill descriptions contain this information. As far as I know, Arcane Lore, Nature Lore, and First Aid are the only skills that should be spread across your party.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Tool Use is the only skill that has no obvious benefit for the character but still should be concentrated in one character only.

—Alorael, who will point out that there's no benefit to spreading out the spreadable skills except lower overall skill point cost.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I wonder how feasible it would be to have one character be nothing but a thief and a pack mule. I imagine that character would end up with more nature lore, arcane lore, and first aid than the others, solely because other skills wouldn't be so pressing. The only problem is that the character would be a liability in combat. Good thing he or she will just lose consciousness.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #4
And you'd need to occasionally increase the strength to fufill the pack-mule needs.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Not really. If he's not doing any fighting, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have any AP, so carrying capacity isn't a concern.

I doubt that it's a particularly efficient strategy, though. If you're going to give him Mage Spells for Unlock Doors (which you have to do if you want to unlock everything), you may as well let him use some of those spells of his in combat as well.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Sibling Reconciliation Bereavement:

Tool Use is the only skill that has no obvious benefit for the character but still should be concentrated in one character only.

—Alorael, who will point out that there's no benefit to spreading out the spreadable skills except lower overall skill point cost.

Would you focus the skill on a mage, for Unlock Doors, or over two?

I'm used to Tool Use not affecting Unlock, and gave my Nephil archer having around 12-13 points, before realising.

Is it time to start again?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Not necessarily. You can always salvage the situation by giving your archer some Mage Spells skill. An archer/spellcaster is a good combination anyway, so you're not really crippling your party by doing this.

[ Monday, March 06, 2006 04:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Tool Use needs to be given to a mage with unlock door spell (taught in Formello). There is and old thread that shows how they work together. It's a waste to give it to a non-mage.

Arcane Lore, Nature Lore, and First Aid can be spread out over the party since the game uses the party's total and not the maximum of any member. One warning, monsters that are calmed by a party's total nature lore will attack later if enough characters "die" so as to lower the total below what was needed to calm them. It's a cruel way to get attacked as a weaken party limps back to town.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
It's not especially difficult to get through A4 even if you have one Tool Use character with no ability as a mage and one mage with no Tool Use. You won't ever get the hardest doors open, but most other doors won't be a problem.

—Alorael, who did that on his first time through A4 and didn't miss anything wonderful or even especially helpful.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Sibling Reconciliation Bereavement:

It's not especially difficult to get through A4 even if you have one Tool Use character with no ability as a mage and one mage with no Tool Use. You won't ever get the hardest doors open, but most other doors won't be a problem.

—Alorael, who did that on his first time through A4 and didn't miss anything wonderful or even especially helpful.

Yes, in fact, most of the incredibly difficult doors in the game have little or no reward attached to opening them. I believe one in Patrick's Tower conceals a spellbook, but the rest are pathetically disappointing.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
There are also a couple of level-40 locked doors in the Abyss that can be used to bypass minor quests, if you're so inclined. Anything above 40 is pretty much impossible to open even for a Tool Use mage.

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 04:22: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------