Sudden Ending

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sudden Ending
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
I did think like Jeff's wife and others that the end of G3 was too difficult to really enjoy. But the two climactic fights of A4 were perfectly balanced. Perhaps its inherent in the difference between the turn-based games and the real time of the Genforge series.
Er, probably not. Geneforge's combat is just as turn-based as Avernum's is, so that shouldn't make any difference.

[ Friday, February 03, 2006 18:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
I didn't complain about the R-I fight when I was beta testing because I figured that some people would find it hard.

I don't even remember it, actually. I just remember thinking afterwards that other SW combats had been more difficult, and Garzahd (in A2, not in A4) was more fun. Heck, R-I in A3 was more fun for me. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Heck, R-I in A3 was more fun for me. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.
Killing Rentar-Ihrno in A3 was immense fun. Yes, I know it doesn't make any plot difference, but it was still fun to see the huge summoning battle that unfolded. Took about 40 minutes, though...

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
I liked the very idea of a mage hammering you with spells why you have to try and actually do things. I really liked Rentar's teleportation spell- it'd have been nice, though, if she REALLY went all-out on the party (and by her, I mean JV). Not just difficulty-wise, either.

I mean, what if Rentar made the ground next to the party instantly form an earthen barrier? Or why didn't she seal off rooms with small cave-ins? Or what about making her fly, so that she can't be hit by melee attacks? Or what about giant, searing waves of fire that the party has to get out of in order to breathe?

Man, I would love- just once- to actually fight a mage, not just a dude with a flamethrower.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
Jeff's point should be well taken; but TM's too. Is there any chance that difficulty setting could be made to do more than just pump hit points and damage? So for instance could bosses run drastically different scripts on Torment than on Easy?

I don't see why not. Surely the only difficulty would lie in coming up with the multiple scripts. But this would satisfy more players, and also provide more replay value, since people would be motivated to see different battles.

And it seems to me that even just pumping damage and hit points could be made to have a bigger effect than merely dragging out battles longer. Suppose the party picks up a superwand with very short range. On Easy, you just have to get in close, fire your wand, and Bam: you threw the ring into the volcano, the Dark Lord is dead, cue the ending text. On Torment, you get in close, fire your wand, and Bam: you scorched his beard, the Dark Lord is going medieval, think of Plan B.

[ Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:15: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Jeff's point should be well taken; but TM's too. Is there any chance that difficulty setting could be made to do more than just pump hit points and damage? So for instance could bosses run drastically different scripts on Torment than on Easy?

I don't see why not. Surely the only difficulty would lie in coming up with the multiple scripts. But this would satisfy more players, and also provide more replay value, since people would be motivated to see different battles.

I have seen this in many games, and therefor it surprises me to read this. I don't own any game (except BoA), so I didn't play any game to the end, so I don't know anything about it. It still surprises me to read that the attacks and battles are the same, only more difficult and longer. i think Jeff would do a good job in more variations of the same battle, which is roughly the same as Student of Trinity just said.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

quote:
Originally written by Wanderer:

But....I finished. The fights with R-I and Dorikas are definitely the most tactically challenging in all the games from E1 onward.
Oh, look. Someone who hasn't played BoX.

Definitely hasn't fought San-Racku.

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.

Pages