Sudden Ending

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sudden Ending
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #0
Well I defeated R-I figuring that my next step would be going across the river to look at Erica's old house and get rid of those bandits and Dorikas. But the game ended! My last save before the keep is back at the Giant area east of one of the Abyss towns.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #1
Huh? Did you get a dialouge message or anything? This sounds weird.
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #2
Well I mean I got congratulated and everything but I thought that the game was going to continue and it didn't. And I so much wanted to see how the new owners had redone Erica's living room and what their paint scheme was! Erica, as you remember, had to keep the shades drawn so she had only very bright colors inside.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Take your save in Rentar-Ihrno's keep and trudge back through the keep and any surviving pylons. You can also cheat by pressing Shift-D and entering "backtostart" without quotes. That will return you to Fort Monastery.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Erika was too worried about the sunshine in Avernum. It really isn't a problem that often. Once, to be precise.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
Erika's Tower is ruined now and there is a base beneath it. You could go back without too much difficulty and just do that quest.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
You should be forced to do that quest first, as Dorkias seems essential to future Avernum games.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
The game is already quite linear, no need to add another link in the chain.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Unfortunately, if you saved after defeating Rentar-Ihrno, you can't walk out as the exit is blocked by rubble.

Check your autosave slot. You may well have an autosave that's before beating Rentar but after your most recent regular save.

[ Sunday, January 29, 2006 15:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Or use backtostart. Then you can't get back to the final pylon to win but you can go beat up Dorikas.

—Alorael, who did something very similar to that his first time through the game.
Warrior
Member # 6549
Profile #9
I was surprised me too by this sudden end. I had to use cheat backstart" to try to finish the quest of ths translation of the sroll but it's not possible. I say to Lark that I know to translate the scroll and Larck ask to me to translate them but I don't know how to do :confused:

IMAGE(http://missbug.free.fr/perso212/av6.jpg)

I have another quest that I have not solved "Liberate Spire", I have not understood what I have to do :confused:

I couldn't finish the "Vanhatai rescue" and "Ghall-Irhno's Comfort" quests because Houghton was dead and "research note" quest because I have sold 2 books.

I'm very sad to have finished the game :(
I think that i'm going to start a new game because I love this game so much :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Mimi:

I say to Lark that I know to translate the scroll and Larck ask to me to translate them but I don't know how to do :confused:
Remember the room in the northwest corner of the fort where you originally found the scrolls, right at the start of the gamea? Look at the box of scrolls in that room again, and you'll be given the option to translate them. After you've translated them, go back and talk to Lark again.

quote:
I have another quest that I have not solved "Liberate Spire", I have not understood what I have to do :confused:
As the quest description says, talk to Commander Elphaba in Fort Saffron after you've killed the leader of the group occupying Spire Fort.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6549
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

As the quest description says, talk to Commander Elphaba in Fort Saffron after you've killed the leader of the group occupying Spire Fort.[/QB]
I had forgotten the cave in Spire Fortress, sorry
:confused: :confused:

Now these 2 quests are solved but a new one is given by Levitt about Dorikas and so if I have understood what it has been said in this topic I can't finish this quest ? :(

IMAGE(http://missbug.free.fr/perso212/av7.jpg)

[ Tuesday, January 31, 2006 08:32: Message edited by: Mimi ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
No, the Dorikas quest is no problem as long as you have a saved game that isn't at the absolute end of the game after defeating Rentar-Ihrno.

—Alorael, who is a little bothered by the fact that you can be asked to see to Ghall-Ihrno's comfort if Ghall-Ihrno is not actually present.
Warrior
Member # 6549
Profile #13
thank you very much for your help.
Apprentice
Member # 6756
Profile #14
edit: wrong location for original post, reposted to A4 bugs

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:31: Message edited by: 2marcus ]
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #15
Thank you all for your help. I used the cheat code to go back to Ft Mon. I do see why I ended up in a situation of ending the game before dealing with Dorikas. I took a wrong turn in the Remote Lands--and went up to R-I's fort, rather than to the Darkside folks hideout. So I'm not sure the game is strictly linear.

But....I finished. The fights with R-I and Dorikas are definitely the most tactically challenging in all the games from E1 onward.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I don't know... Dorikas was tricky, but R-I seemed really easy to me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Wanderer:

But....I finished. The fights with R-I and Dorikas are definitely the most tactically challenging in all the games from E1 onward.
Oh, look. Someone who hasn't played BoX.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
Hmm. Dorikas kept surprising me, so I really got worried, but with Rentar-Ihrno I just kind of hung on, fended off her small army, and kept hitting her, and eventually it was over. So it was a straightforward fight, in the end; but I found it tense as it was happening.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Yes, the atmosphere of the final Rentar fight was appropriately creepy. It's just too bad that her "army" was just two undead vahnatai, which spoiled the effect a bit. The fight was incredibly straightforward, as I just hacked her apart with a few intense volleys of spells, only deviating to fire the occasional arrow at an energy sphere.

Straightforward doesn't have to be bad, though... I personally loved the Grah-Hoth battle in A1, because he wasn't über-shielded, and he did an insane amount of damage to you. That made you strategize for what starts off looking like a simple fight (well, simple for a room full of demons).

Dorikas was appropriately difficult, though the whole "forget the plot, he should be dead now" thing. Fear was never used all that well until A4, and this was a good example. If your party was terrorized right after he summoned allies, you had to do quite a bit of catching up the second you came out of it. The setting of the Dorikas fight, however, was a bit of a letdown. It probably would've been better if he'd made for the portal sooner, and not stopped to fight you quite as long. (That'd even take care of those situations where he's standing there with 0 hp and glaring at you)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 6751
Profile #20
I think it made sense that Rhentar Ihrno's last fight wasn't as hard as it could be, because according to the plot she's weak and using the last of her resources.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #21
"I think it made sense that Rhentar Ihrno's last fight wasn't as hard as it could be, because according to the plot she's weak and using the last of her resources."

Difficulty is highly subjective and varies greatly from player to player. I promise you that a number of my testers, accomplished Avernum-players all, found the climactic fight to be a genuine challenge. But I am sure many of the more experienced people will find it to be easy.

Remember, if I make a fight difficult for everyone, even the hardcore, then a lot of players will find it insurmountable. I got a lot of complaints from my friends (and wife) about the difficulty of the later parts of Geneforge 3. So if you, like many, found that game to be too easy, this should give you some sympathy for my situation.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #22
The Rentar fight was appropriately difficult I believe. Perhaps somewhat static in that nothing really happens beyond her trying to cast various powerful spells which the crystal you have blocks. Though, it should not be forgotten that if one smashes the crystal then the fight will be much more difficult. I smashed the crystal shard the first time through and found myself having a tense fight. Dorkas was definitely the most interesting fight throughout the game. The setting . . . well he was in Avernum not the Empire so he really couldn't build that much beyond what Erika's basement consisted off.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
Yes, the trial-and-error segment of the Rentar-Ihrno fight involving the crystals was a nice touch, though it seemed rather annoying at first. If you know what to do already (or make a lucky guess the first time), then you're in for a much easier fight.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #24
I did think like Jeff's wife and others that the end of G3 was too difficult to really enjoy. But the two climactic fights of A4 were perfectly balanced. Perhaps its inherent in the difference between the turn-based games and the real time of the Genforge series.

Pages