Pylons

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pylons
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
How do you beat the pylons at Rentar's 2nd keep?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Which ones? The ones outside the fort? You're not being specific enough...

And are you trying to save the vahnatai who came with you?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
As far as I remember, the pylons outside the fort are the only pylons in that area. :P

Anyway, it's seriously not worth the trouble to destroy all those pylons. Just run like the clappers to get past them. Your vahnatai allies will try to fight the pylons and get slaughtered, of course, but they're not much use anyway.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Or, if you just really hate pylons, you can slowly exterminate them one by one before they go armed, and before talking to the vahnatai. They'll go hostile before you get them all, but only a few live ones will remain, and you can cope with those. This is too tedious to do, though, unless you derive specific joy from trashing pylons.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #4
I always try to save my allies, no matter what game, so I kill the Pylons first, then I ask the Vahanati to join me.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Dikiyoba thoroughly enjoys destroying pylons. Sure, they're dangerous, but what's life for if not for overcoming the annoying challenges?

Edit: Grammar.

[ Friday, January 27, 2006 15:51: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
quote:
but what's life for if not for overcoming the annoying challenges?
Tedious.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #7
How do you trash them?

I'm level 23 and these pylons just freeze me and zap me to death. Arg! Can you pick them off outside their range with area effect spells or something? (ie. targeting the space just before them so they can't reach you?)

Some pointers would really be appreciated, I've already tried rushing through sneakily using haste to dart around corners and keep out of sight of them, but I keep getting stuck in places where I can't leapfrog to more cover and having to revert to a save... Maybe I just need to do something else first, but I feel like I've just about done everything else already. You're gonna die Rentar! Man, I really feel like revenging Erika.

Md.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
If you attack a pylon while the entire party is out of range of the pylon's own attacks, it'll regenerate HP very quickly. You can still kill them this way, but it's even more tedious than usual. An alternative is to have one fighter stand within range and the rest of your party stand out of range while they attack with missiles and spells (and heal the fighter when necessary).

Really, unlike the ones leading to Rentar's first hideout, there's no clever way past the field of pylons. Just run straight through them. Use Divine Restoration if anyone gets frozen or badly injured. If your party's Nature Lore is very high, try and get to the cache in the far northwest of the field; there's a very nice item in there.

EDIT: Wait... you're level 23? I'm guessing you're at the pylons west of Fort Remote, leading to Rentar's first fort. In that case, it's possible to get through there without getting attacked by a single pylon if you're careful. In fact, it isn't even necessary to haste and run past them in combat mode, although it helps. Just hug the walls, and turn back and find another way if you can't get through a particular passage.

[ Sunday, January 29, 2006 15:06: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
It's worth mentioning that you can stand one step outside the pylon's range and still have the pylon be in your missile and spell range. I killed every pylon I came across in this manner, because I'm just that OCD.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Just hug the walls, and turn back and find another way if you can't get through a particular passage.
Hmmm... I'll backtostart and have a play around, maybe I'm missing something obvious. Thanks Thuryl.

Md.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Kel: I don't do enough damage to kill pylons when nobody is in range unless I start spending extremely large amounts of energy on the task. It's not worth it.

—Alorael, who got through the last pylon field, which apparently isn't the one MD is experiencing, by entering combat mode and hasting one space before the pylons become active. He was able to run his party far enough that only one pylon zap hit one character.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6751
Profile #12
I've found that the pylons are elemental based and as long as you focus on the weakness of each pylon it doesn't take that long. I only have one caster in my party, and hasted he can handle a pylon easy. An acid spell works well too.
Apprentice
Member # 3371
Profile #13
well, for her first keep i was stupid and killed everything...
for her second keep, i went and hostiled one pylon at a time w/ hasted/steelskin/arcaneshielded party... easy as pie.

spoiler
later on in her second keep when you fight vyniss-bok(sp?) my sith warrior killed all of the golems with both my mages dead, and my archer at like 8 health hideing in a storeage room from a golem that followed him(sith warrior was lvl 31 with jade halaberd 18 spear/blademaster and 17 quickstrike(along with other stuff) he was doin lots of damage twice a turn woo hoo

--------------------
Row!!!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ignorization:

Kel: I don't do enough damage to kill pylons when nobody is in range unless I start spending extremely large amounts of energy on the task. It's not worth it.
Take my post in context with Thuryl's, directly above it. I put one sacrificial lamb fighter near a pylon and hold the other three back shooting spells and missiles.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I took your OCD to mean that you obsessively and compulsively had your party stand just out of range and very, very slowly picked off each pylon. Doing it with one victim is much easier.

—Alorael, who kills all the turrets except pylons from outside of their range. Most fungi and shrubs don't have all that much health.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Is the Internet a fungus?:

I took your OCD to mean that you obsessively and compulsively had your party stand just out of range and very, very slowly picked off each pylon. Doing it with one victim is much easier.
I actually killed many of the pylons west of Fort Remote with everyone out of range, doing enough damage to beat the pylons' regeneration. Then I realised that using missiles and a few healing spells on the fighter meant less running back to recharge SP than pummeling it with attack spells did.

--------------------