'Real' Area spells in Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 'Real' Area spells in Avernum 4?
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #0
I've got the impression that there are area spells in avernum 4, is that true? For some reason I love trying to fit as many foes as I can (without toasting the party) in a 3x3 (or bigger) fireball.

They existed in exile 3, but not in geneforge (1-2) or Avernum 3.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
There are area spells (Icy Rain, Divine Fire, Fireblast), and you get a decently-sized oval to set around as many of your foes as possible. You can be inside that oval and not be harmed. Divine Retribution nails every foe within range...8-10 tiles away, I think.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Divine Retribution is, simply put, the best spell in A4. Fire, stunning, and a heck of a lot of targets. That, and it's just so much fun to shout "RETRIBUTION!!!" at the screen...

Just kind of wanted to say that.

And in an attempt to say something useful, Arcane Blow is also an area spell now, as are the strange spells Aura of Flames and Diamond Spray, which only exist in wand form. Lightning spray is kind of an area spell, though it can be really weird about what targets it hits.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
Eph, do you actually yell "Retribution" at your screen? I didn't realize Avernum 4 had voice-activated controls. ;)

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
One day, that'll be coded into the games... and then I'm sure one of the cheats will require saying "you shall not pass!"

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 5517
Profile #5
LOL. Sooner or later pcs/macs will be voice activated, so that would be awsome=).

Is Divine Retribution available in the demo? If it isn't, could someone post a pic of it in effect on here?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #6
Divine Retribution is one of the last spells you get.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
If you've seen Aura of Flames in Geneforge II or III, you've seen Divine Retribution in Avernum IV. I think it would've been nicer to use the Reaper graphic effect for it, though. The Aura of Flames effect always looks to me as though you're out to singe all hairpieces within range, rather than actually hurt anyone.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6627
Profile Homepage #8
I thought lightning spray was well done. It is like the multi-target spells in Exile but more realistic (except for its fickle nature in picking targets). That, and it's really strong.
Apprentice
Member # 5517
Profile #9
I love the multi-targetting spells. It makes it alot easier to take down targets you REALLY need to. Thats one of the things that made the avernum games one over for the geneforge games, well for me at least.
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #10
I'm *very* glad to hear this. Maybe two priests in the party would be fun. or Mages.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Lightning Spray isn't as unpredictable as it seems, by the way. It hits the target you select, plus up to two other targets, each of which is no more than 2 spaces away from the original target. It's only when there are more than two other hostiles within 2 spaces of the original target that it gets harder to tell who it will hit.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
So Lighting Spray is really the Searing Orbs of Geneforge, isn't it?

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
I have noticed but cannot swear to a propensity for Lightning Spray to hit additional targets farther from the caster more than closer targets.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind an arrow spell or two. They were nice to have sometimes in Exile. Area spells that fry friendly as well as hostiles added some more interesting decisions too, especially when in A4 you can easily take out your own tough fighters with the damage you dish out regularly via caster.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

So Lighting Spray is really the Searing Orbs of Geneforge, isn't it?

Dikiyoba.

Correct, Lighting Spray is a clean rip from Geneforge, except with better targeting. In Geneforge, it would only hit "close" enemies in the same direction. Now you can have your mage stand with one foe infront of you, one to the left and one to the right, and hit them all. In Geneforge, you would have hit all if they were all standing to the left/right/back of you, or one, if they were not.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."