Avernum 1 2 and 3 speed

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 1 2 and 3 speed
Warrior
Member # 656
Profile Homepage #0
I'm running the newest versions of the avernum trilogy on a Mac running 10.4.9, and the game speed is ungodly slow, even just moving my party takes a noticable amount of time. Is this something that can be fixed in any ways other than the settings in game, which help a little, but not as much as I'd like?
Posts: 127 | Registered: Wednesday, February 20 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
When the Intel version of Tiger was updated to 10.4.8, something was modified in Rosetta which made the Avernum games terribly slow. Jeff is aware of the problem. Whether or not we will see Universal versions of the Avernum trilogy remains to be seen. In the meantime, the games run fine in emulated Windows under Parallels or VMWare, and you can always run them in a BootCamp partition.

[ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 13:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
A number of people have had this problem. However, it's not universal ... the games run fine on my Intel Mac. At this point, unless Apple straightens out whatever they did to Rosetta, the only thing that would fix the problem is Universalizing all three games, which would take a considerable amount of time.

So right now, I'm waiting to see what Apple does. Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
Too bad! I can't play A1-3 at all. But it is cool watching a fireball travel across the screen in slow motion. I would think that this speed problem is also discouraging people from buying those games.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
I upgraded to 10.4.10, and the problem still exists. I think it's reasonable to assume that if Apple were going to do something, they would have done so already.

[ Wednesday, June 27, 2007 20:09: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
If you can, you can try an earlier version.

If not...join the windows side, we can see outside. Being serious- with a windows xp, you can try the windows version. Maybe the windows version wont be so slow.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I heard a man sing "The Muffin Man" one day. He got to see the light.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
Good news! The games run fine in the OS X 10.5 beta (Build 9A499).

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #7
How did you acquire the beta? Did you go to that conference or something?

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Well how do you think? (Or at least I presume that) he got it illegaly, by using a torrent. For a very long time already you could have downloaded it, you know... The reason I didn't do it, was that I'd rather await a stable version.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Given Tyran's known affinity for Apple, I'd conclude he's got an Apple Developer Connection before assuming illegal downloading. Granted, that's rather expensive, but maybe Tyran has deep pockets and a deep appreciation for Leopard.

—Alorael, who wishes he had deep pockets too. Not just for Apple, either.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
"Good news! The games run fine in the OS X 10.5 beta (Build 9A499)."

There are many ways to get an advance copy of an OS. After all, Apple and Microsoft strongly encourage developers to get such advance copies to ensure that necessary software does not explode on release.

If whatever in Rosetta broke the Avernum games in 10.4.8 becomes non-broke in OS X 10.5 it will make me a very happy person.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
I just upgraded to 9A500n, and the games still run fine. There is a slight problem though. Leopard doesn't allow applications to create files in the root hard drive directory. The installer should probably be changed so that the game ends up in the Applications folder.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Apprentice
Member # 10408
Profile #12
I don't have any problems-- but I'm a rabid adherent of the old architecture, still unchained and unmastered. It will rise again-- I swear it. It will rise again!!!!!

...heh-heh. Sorry.

...what?

...hey, the sign said 'Leave Sanity at Door'!

--------------------
Microsoft is like a herd of dragons with amoebic dysentery: massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

Death takes a holiday.

How not to do it: "Hi, Mr. Dragon. I've come to destroy you, so would you mind if I borrowed your Fireproof Skin Balm recipe first?"
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

When the Intel version of Tiger was updated to 10.4.8, something was modified in Rosetta which made the Avernum games terribly slow. Jeff is aware of the problem. Whether or not we will see Universal versions of the Avernum trilogy remains to be seen. In the meantime, the games run fine in emulated Windows.
Wow, that's really unfortunate considering Jeff put so much time into modernizing these games...just to have an OS revision mess with his work yet again.

Let's hope it works in 10.5!

- Says Ming who uses Windows but wants as many people as possible playing these games cuz they're so cool.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #14
Did you read my posts at all? It does work with 10.5.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Did you read my posts at all? It does work with 10.5.
I thought you were still on 10.5 Beta. I see that you are using a more recent built. I've seen many things reverted in beta builds, which is why I commented. But I'm not a Mac user so I can't say whether or not that kind of thing holds true with Macs. Isn't Leopard 9A527 out now? Just to developers, perhaps?

[ Tuesday, September 11, 2007 08:06: Message edited by: Ming ]