Avernum games: slowly in 10.4.8?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum games: slowly in 10.4.8?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
Yesterday I installed the systemupdate of 10.4.8. Guess what. All Avernum games run extremely sluggishly, to the extent that it's hardly playable (I didn't testAvernum 4, though. I only tested Averum 1, 2, 3 and BoA). It's mainly the fighting, shooting arrows and such, which has gotten painfully slow. Would anybody know how to work this out? I didn't have any problems previously, in 10.4.7.

[ Tuesday, October 03, 2006 01:28: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #1
They still work fine for me, so I'm not sure what your problem is.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your HD. Installing new software can sometimes mess up your permissions, causing problems with your computer's performance. It's worth a shot.

[ Tuesday, October 03, 2006 16:12: Message edited by: Anthropos Kakistos ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
I tried what you suggested, but it doesn't seem to work. It's still very slow. Also reinstalling has no affect.

[ Thursday, October 05, 2006 08:31: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
Apple changed the old software emulation in the new version of OS X. This seems to be affecting people with a case of the slows. I'll see what Apple does about Rosetta (the emulation software).

If nothing improves, I'll probably address this after Geneforge 4 is out. I can't do it sooner because I'll be using Geneforge 4 to learn how to make Universal programs.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #5
Odd that. The games seem to run fine on my MacBook Pro running 10.4.8. I guess I'm just special. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Don't forget to turn the game speed up and turn off the special effects, if you haven't done so already, Thralni. It might make the games a little more bearable.

Dikiyoba.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #7
The problem is very unpredictable. It can vary from machine to machine. It can even come and go on the same machine. (I'm hearing a lot about it in the Geneforge 4 beta test).

The idea of modifying all of the Avernum games yet again to Universalize them is excruciating, but it is appearing to be necessary.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Thanks for the tip, Dikiyoba. I'll try it. Also, thanks for making clear what the problem is. Pity you can't do it sooner, but I guess that's juts how it is. Now at least I know what's happening.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 2701
Profile Homepage #9
10.4.8 Actual fix list for Intel Build. it did put a bit of focus on rosetta. I don't remember how thorough the notes were in the regular read me. But the ADC notes might help you a little to see why your software may be behaving differently.

- Fixed problem with Rosetta
- Fixed Floating Point problem with Rosetta
- Rosetta sqrt issue fixed
- Fixed Rosetta pow() function
- Fixed problem with Rosetta and launching DVDs
- Fixed issue with CoreImage and iChat
- Addressed issue with OpenGL Framework
- Fixed issue where FireWire devices may not be recognized
- Fixed issue with Cisco VPN Client
- Fixed issue where Windows Sharing would turn off after Restart
- Fixed problem where FireWire drive may not be recognized
- Fixed issue with AirPort
- Fixed issue with CoreImage
- Fixed issue with CoreImage and web images
- Fixed problem with Desktop/Screen Saver preferences
- Fixed issue with Image Capture
- Fixed problem with Xsan 1.4 and file types
- Fixed issue with Image RAW
- Fixed problem with CoreImage and web images
- Fixed issue with ImageIO
- Addressed issue with CoreImage and ColorSync
- Fixed issue with Xsan and File Manager
- Fixed issue with "getcat"
- Fixed problem with AFP Server
- Fixed issue with CFNetwork and HTTPS pages
- Fixed issue with LoginWindow and Fast User Switching
- Problem with CUPS and CDSASSL codepath fixed
- Fixed issue with ImageCapture
- Fixed ColorSync issue with V4 ICC profiles
- Fixed LoginWindow UI issue
- Fixed problem with WebCore
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by mysticalos:

Woah :eek: A 3-year lurker.

At any rate, I spoke too soon. BoA is running slowly for me as well now.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Apprentice
Member # 2701
Profile Homepage #11
My macbook pro is currently at apple for logicboard issues again...When i get it back I will do some testing myself. I have not attempted to launch any games since 10.4.8 in rosetta. My intel mac tends to be my windows machine and i use PPC mac for everything else..
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #12
Ironically, games that are more resource intensive, such as Neverwinter Nights, run fine without any lag under Rosetta. Go figure.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Apprentice
Member # 7939
Profile #13
I'm glad to hear that Jeff is aware of the problem. My old Mac died and on my new Intel mac the Avernum trilogy games are unplayably slow. Outside of combat is OK, but when combat starts it is hopeless. Anyway, if a fix ever comes it would be greatly appreciated.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
Jeff updated Avernum 1 and 2 to OS X last year. He updated Avernum 4 recently to Intel Macs and is working on Blades of Avernum. I guess all the games will have new versions out over the next year except for the Exile games.
Apprentice
Member # 8376
Profile #15
The Avernum trilogy runs unplayably poor on my 1st Gen MacBook 1.83ghz too :( Running OS X 10.4.9. I've tried universal-ising an application before... and it was only a couple hundred lines of code and it drove me nuts. Mind you, I'm still learning Objective-C so all those compile errors were Japanese to me ;)

I can only imagine how busy you guys are at the moment, but if you could spare some time for us poor Intel mac buyers, I'd be incredibly grateful. <3

For the time being I'm gonna play it on my Windows machine :D
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #16
The same is true for my MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz. It's really sad that they run better in emulated Windows than in OS X :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Apprentice
Member # 8376
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

The same is true for my MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz. It's really sad that they run better in emulated Windows than in OS X :P
Indeed. This is why it is helpful to have both a PC and a Mac... or just bootcamp your mac ;)