URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR EXILE 3!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR EXILE 3!!
Apprentice
Member # 4742
Profile #0
I have recently acquired a copy of Exile 3. I have played Exile 3 before, a couple of years ago and fell in love instantly.

But after losing my computer at the time, I had consequently forgotten about the epic. However, now I have an updated computer I thought I may as well get in touch with my 1 and only true virtual love.

But how ironic it is that buying a better computer has indeed had the opposite of the desired effect; everytime I try to install Exile 3, Windows XP (My current OS) appeals to my content via a message saying 'WINDOWS CANNOT RUN A 16 BIT PROGRAM (INSUFFICIENT MEMORY)'. This is really annoying, almost to the point of severe homosexuality.

Does anybody have any counter attacks I can spring on Bill Gates and his Cronies who, it seems, are intent on ruining my fun?

Holla back;
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #1
O..k....you know, some people say computer programs aren't worth it. :P

Anyways, I had this problem before. Reformmating worked for me. Before you try that, make sure your computer isn't TO good for it.

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #2
Buy a Mac. Then see what happens.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Robin:

Buy a Mac. Then see what happens.
Now now, don't say that or we will have soon a debate on pc vs. macs...and nobody wants them or do they? ;)

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #4
I have Windows XP Professiolal and have no trouble playing any of the Exile games on it. 16-bit has to do with video, just out of curiosity, what video mode is your monitor set to? I don't know if that's the problem but it's worth looking at. FYI my monitor is set at 32-bit.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #5
16-bit here might not have anything to do with the monitor but the processor, instead. Most processors nowadays use 32-bit (some 64) so there might be a conflict between that...consequently, what is your processor model? And also, do you happen to have the latest version of Exile 3?

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Apprentice
Member # 1660
Profile Homepage #6
i know it sounds unhelpful, but really, in the longterm... get a mac.

i installed OSX and thought there'd be a problem running my old exile games, but not a chance- it just seamlessly starts up OS9. do you need another reason to get a mac? ;)
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #7
Highlight the .exe program. Rightclick on it, then click on the tab compatibility. CHeck the box, Run this box in compatibility mode for... then select win95 or win98. If that doesn't work, then try playing with the display settings (same tab).

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4803
Profile #8
I have the same problem it just wont respond and i ve only just needed help downloading it has anyonelse got a suggestion please
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by siobhan:

i know it sounds unhelpful, but really, in the longterm... get a mac.
Win XP isn't a good OS for old games. Just doesn't do anything quite right. If possible, I'd try Win 2000 Pro. (cheaper then buying a Mac, will help with other old games too)

In the long term you should avoid Mac, as they are slowly fading anyway. Windows is losing all hopes for running old games, avoid it as well. Linux is where I'm putting my faith; it's getting more practical every year, and now that IBM has switched... (even Microsoft had to use Linux systems for awhile, due to heavy virus/hacker issues) Though I wouldn't get Linux quite yet, they haven't managed to breach the compatibility barrier entirely. (which is really the only problem with Mac; not enough programs)

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #10
If compatibility mode doesn't work for you, there's also a compatibility kit downloadable from Microsoft that supports older games. As far as I know, there are quite a few people here on Win XP who do not experience problems. It should be possible to adapt the system. Nevertheless I agree with Xan. Win 2000 Pro is preferable.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #11
I think they're running a 64bit system. IVe never encounterd this problem on any 32 bit system, wher it refused to runa 16bit app. Windows Longhorn is going to be able to run all old games, as deminstrated when they ran an old DOS program from 1981 (i forget which one) at one of their demos of it.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.