The Power of a Shaper Glowing Skin

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Power of a Shaper Glowing Skin
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
Hello everyone! I'm travelling trought Gull Island and every time I meet someone like a servile or an agent, my skin goes red, I feel angry :mad: and I kill who was speaking :( . Is that the bad-effect of the canisters? If isn't, what is the canister's bad effect? What's happening at my Guardian? Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Q: Is it bad if I'm murdering people against my will, for little to no coherent reason?

A: Yes.

I'd say this seems pretty straightforward, although I haven't played GF3 to know for sure.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Q: Is it bad if I'm murdering people against my will, for little to no coherent reason?

A: Yes.

I'd say this seems pretty straightforward, although I haven't played GF3 to know for sure.

Are you american? I think that americans sleep at these hours...
:)

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Yes, this comes from the canisters. You really shouldn't use to many of those if you are concerned about such effects.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #4
Either you choose to stay pure, taking a total of six canisters or less, or use all you can find. 7 makes no difference from 70.
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #5
That isn't the only bad effect from the Canisters. The Canisters give you awesome power, but they take away your humanity while doing it. Shaping yourself is also against Shaper law, and using more than 6 will affect your game ending. Your ending can be better or worse depending on who's side you are on (It's against Shaper law, for everybody else it helps them gain power and win the war). The endings change slightly because of it, you may like the ending more or less by using them or staying pure. I haven't had a pure ending yet on any of the Geneforge games though, I use every single Canister I find and love my glowing skin and ultimate power. The little fools know to fear me when they see the power emanating right out of my skin and eyes.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
The madness power of the canisters seem to be growing with each game. Soon they will be so powerful that just one canister will send the user into a homicidal rage.

Innocent bystander: Hi!
Mad Shaper: Fool! I'll smite you!
Smite!
Innocent bystander: Ahh!
Smite!
Mad Shaper: That was easy. Hey you! Quit looking at me!
Smite!

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #7
Actually I should say that the ending isn't that negative in GF3 for using Canisters really, you mainly shouldn't use them if you just want to roleplay by pure Shaper rules, but that's what's getting them overthrown in the first place. The ending is still good in GF3 when using Canisters when fighting for the Shapers I think. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's totally up to you what you want your endings to say and do. You may want to end up seeing all endings in time. Just know that pure Shapers are against Canisters mostly, but that in GF3 there aren't a lot of hard line Shapers, most all of them are a little bit dirty.

In GF2 was where it was more negative for using them if you were a Loyal Shaper. I was a Barzite anyway in GF2 so I needed to use as many Canisters as I could find (I really love that Barzite ending too).

This last game had a lot more ill effects from Canisters though while the previous game people mostly only got positive effects. This is probably because the Drakons are making a lot more Canisters for themselves now or other very specific people instead of just in general, and so when people use those that are meant for a specific person or a different race it totally screws them up.

I didn't feel the same sense of super overwhelming power using Canisters in GF3 (by way of the story and text I mean). It wasn't as satisfying as the feelings of the Dark Side power like in GF2 :D
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
I don't remember there being too negative of consequences in the end text of G2 if you were a loyal Shaper, assuming all of the missions were completed. If you don't complete all the quests, well, that was different.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Minor rephrasing.

[ Thursday, January 19, 2006 15:09: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #9
Well, if you were unaligned, you had a bad ending at the end of GF2 if you took too many canisters. It was really really bad.

In GF3 it didn't matter much and was still a pretty cool ending no matter how loyal you were and no matter how many Canisters you used. I don't want to spoil anything, but GF2 was a mean ending if you used too many canisters if you were unaligned which was pretty close to working for the Loyalists.

Does anybody have GF2 save games that they can let me download from somewhere or email to me?

I've seen the Barzite using full Canisters ending, the leaving too early and using full Canisters ending, and the Unaligned destroying everybody but using too many canisters ending.

I need any endings that don't have canister use, and then the Loyalist full Canister ending.

If you can put these up on a website let me know, if you need to email them to me instead also let me know and I'll work on getting you an address to mail them to me.
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

The madness power of the canisters seem to be growing with each game. Soon they will be so powerful that just one canister will send the user into a homicidal rage.

Innocent bystander: Hi!
Mad Shaper: Fool! I'll smite you!
Smite!
Innocent bystander: Ahh!
Smite!
Mad Shaper: That was easy. Hey you! Quit looking at me!
Smite!

Dikiyoba.

it isn't all that far off now:

civilian:hi. i think sentient beings should be allowed to think for themselves.
non-canister using shaper: SMITE!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #11
In GF2 the final is bad if you use too much canisters? But this is illogic! How you can be a powerful mage without them?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

In GF2 the final is bad if you use too much canisters? But this is illogic! How you can be a powerful mage without them?
Allot and allot of XP.
You can also alter yourself to gain the powerful spells. Altering does not affect your mind.

In G1, it was virtually impossibel to stay alive without using canisters (unless you played as a Guardian), as the very first skills and spells were gained through use of canisters.
But in G1, canisters only affected your mind after like 10-15 of them, and never caused you to attack anyone.
It might be that canisters have been made "purer" in G2 and G3, and thus has an increased effect on your mind, or that Jeff wanted to show the obviouse side-effect of power, i.e corruption.
My money is on the latter.

[ Saturday, January 21, 2006 06:08: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
It could be both and or others option as well:

3. With more options for learning skills, spells, and creations, the canisters are no longer necessary to play the game. Therefore, using them becomes a choice and the point of the series is that you choices affect the outcome.

4. The characters you play as are different. In G1, you are an ordinary apprentice just trying to get off of the island and the canisters are neccessary. In G3, you are an exceptionally talented apprentice. I think the G3 character would be more ambitious, especially since they are meeting important Shapers and affecting events directly. The G3 character would probably have a harder time beating the side effects of the canisters than the G1 character. G2 is some sort of middle ground.

Dikiyoba.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
That and Jeff did not fully contemplate all the angles of the cansiter story at the time he wrote GF1. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Maybe, but all the Sholai show signs of going mad in G1. Except Trajkov, who is able to handle the power. Barely, but still able.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Maybe, but all the Sholai show signs of going mad in G1. Except Trajkov, who is able to handle the power. Barely, but still able.

Dikiyoba.

There are Sholai in GF1?

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Yes. This is fairly obvious if you play it for a short while.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #18
In GF1 you attack the Sholai in the cave if you use the Geneforge, which is supposedly like the canisters. Well you don't wildly attack them, but they become "hostile."

Really I don't think there should be a set number of canisters where you're "pure" or "impure." Then people can cheat the system. I'd say taking none should be the only pure thing. For each one you take your risk of going bananas should be increased.

Btw I found the transcendence of humanity (or Shapity) in GF2's Barzite ending very very cool. You become a god.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #19
Yes, GF is pretty much loaded with Sholai. I don't think there are even Sholai in the other games. Well, ONE guy in GF3.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.