Which Faction Has The Powa?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which Faction Has The Powa?
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #0
Which factions do you think are the most powerful, or can give the Player most advantages? Please explain your views :D
Alas, I myself would list them like this:
1-2. Zhass-Uss, the Takers, Rising, the Barzites
3. Medab, the Awakened
4. Drypeak, the Loyalists

This is mainly based on the power they can give - in terms of both pre- and post-altering spells&creations and canisters.

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 07:56: Message edited by: ShadeOfWar ]
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
In D&D there are lots of gods. Some of them are Jesus Christ and Lucifer, and they have equal power. Players can choose either to worship one of them, and as most of them find it funny, they choose to worship Lucifer. It is one of the ways how pure souls are taken by the devil...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
The Barzites have most to offer, because just like the Takers they offer all spells and creations, but in addition they give six excellent canisters that cannot be obtained in any way without joining Barzahl. The only things the Takers give you that you can't just take for yourself anyway are a Puresteel Soulblade (at a cost that makes it a doubtful bargain) and the company of a glowing Drayk (for a while).
All the Taker canister rewards can be obtained by force.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

The Barzites have most to offer, because just like the Takers they offer all spells and creations, but in addition they give six excellent canisters that cannot be obtained in any way without joining Barzahl.
Alas, these canisters can be obtained w/o joining the Barzites... you can either:
a) Give canister materials to the canister maker, for 20 mined crystals and a puresteel ring you can get 1 canister
or b) use 11 or 12 living tools per locked door

--------------------
In D&D there are lots of gods. Some of them are Jesus Christ and Lucifer, and they have equal power. Players can choose either to worship one of them, and as most of them find it funny, they choose to worship Lucifer. It is one of the ways how pure souls are taken by the devil...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
I'm not talking about those canisters. The Barzite-only canisters are different.

There is a door in the West wall of Barzahl's audience hall, which only opens if you have a Barzite badge. There is no other way in the game to open it, even if you kill Barzahl and burn Rising to the ground. It leads to a set of rooms full of pretty decent gear, plus a set of six canisters that sit in pairs behind a series of thorn barriers. As you complete Barzite quests the barriers are gradually removed, allowing you to reach the canisters. The last pair are actually double-strength canisters, giving +2 (one in Spellcraft and the other in Melee Weapons, IIRC).

These are the canisters that put the Barzites over the top, reward-wise.

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #4
you could get those canisters by joining the the barzites and then using clearallsects. i think the barzites give u more power overall, but the takers are good too
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Well, to get all the Barzite-only canisters you have to do all but the final Barzite quest, so you will effectively have been a Barzite most of the way. At that point if you really wanted to powergame you could convert through Learned Darian instead of a cheat code; but there would really be very little point. You would get a few more experience points from the earlier Taker quests, but if you want a few extra hundred points that badly, it will be more fun at that stage to run naked through Inner Gazak-Uss than to do some trivial Taker missions.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5218
Profile #6
What's the reward of going on principle and joining the Awakened or Shapers?

I have a hard time joining groups that I'd rather squash- rewards or not...

I had to turn Zachary down. I prefer to join the Awakened but have been given quests to prove my worth (yet to complete).

Nijojo
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Auri Fitzgerald:

What's the reward of going on principle and joining the Awakened or Shapers?

I have a hard time joining groups that I'd rather squash- rewards or not...

A warm fuzzy feeling.

In all seriousness, you get access to decent spells and creations somewhat earlier than you would if you waited until you reached the Takers/Barzites, but in the endgame the Loyalists and Awakened definitely have less to offer.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
The Loyalists are so lame. As far as I can tell joining the Loyalists is simply a mistake, the error of deciding your path too soon. Their so-called Loyalism is really just an effort to save Zakary's neck, which is a hopeless task anyway. The true Shaper loyalist path is the non-aligned route of killing everyone but the Awakened (who are optional), including Zakary.

The other three sects are all more or less fine. There are enough canisters around that you won't really miss not being able to buy two levels of the top tier creations from the Awakened.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #9
Oh yes, sorry, I didn't think of those canisters at the moment. Yup, they are indeed quite powerful.

The point of joining the Awakened or Loyalists:
LOYALISTS
Led by a weak Shaper overcome by his conscience. But they are the Purest of the factions: the Awakened's research leader is a crazy and glowing Tuldaric. That's all the good, in terms of morality, there seems to be to them, unless all you desperately crave is an old man to be forgiven.
I joined them at the start, but fortunately the Barzites were still eager to accept me. I think the point here is that you can more easierly shift between alleged factions: the 2 Shaper factions (B, L) or the two Servile (T,A)
AWAKENED
They are righteous, of course. Their claims are the most morally satisfying, and they aren't violent, power-crazed or mad. The downside here is Tuldaric the Madman... The creations they can offer are really rather pathetic, but you can actually get tier 3 creations from numerous other places even if you have already joined the Awakened. If you have enough leadership, you could learn from Fenen at the Radiant College, and you could also go to the Loyalist Encampment. Prices would be high though.
And alas, you could shift from Awakened to Takers to satisfy your ever-growing hunger for power... (that is one of the things I like the game for. you really start to feel like, "Ahhhhh! UNLIMITEEED POWWEEEERRRR.....!" like the Emperor in Star Wars 3 :D

[ Tuesday, May 24, 2005 05:44: Message edited by: ShadeOfWar ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5218
Profile #10
Is it possible to be with more than one? Like play two sides of the board and then doublecross one in the end?

I think I am too much a person of principle to join the takers. Even the Barzites with their promise of awesome canisters so far don't tempt me. By principle I like the Awakened best (although I get so sick of "What your kind did to us" when it was never ME who did it!)

Nijojo
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

Is it possible to be with more than one? Like play two sides of the board and then doublecross one in the end?

I think I am too much a person of principle to join the takers. Even the Barzites with their promise of awesome canisters so far don't tempt me. By principle I like the Awakened best (although I get so sick of "What your kind did to us" when it was never ME who did it!)

Nijojo

No. You can only be a member of ONE sect at a time.

Personally, I think the lot of you are dangerous rogues, and should be wiped out (as us shapers do to rogues).

- Archmagi Micael, who hopes they don't take it too personally.

[ Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:00: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

quote:

You can, however, leave one sect to join another.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #13
quote:

quote:

Nijojo

You can however, join all sects in turn. You can start with the Awakened and then move counter-clockwise through the sects, ending up either Loyalist or Barzite. Just rememebr that if you plan on ending as a loyalist then you shouldn't allow yourself to be shaped, otherwise, have at it. I never tried to move the other way, starting as a loyalist and then moving clockwise, but that should work as well. Learned Darian makes it all possible.

--------------------
Whatever happens, happens.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

It leads to a set of rooms full of pretty decent gear, plus a set of six canisters that sit in pairs behind a series of thorn barriers.

Correction: It's SEVEN canisters. You also get a canister of 'Create Drayk', which is in Barzhal's room.

In otherwords, join the Barzites early, and you get cyrodrayks straight away. :D

And the Barzites have the best ending. Joining the Taker's does NOT give you power...

[ Wednesday, May 25, 2005 16:36: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #15
I'm think that it's very hard or even impossible to join the Loyalists after you've joined other factions.
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

quote:

It leads to a set of rooms full of pretty decent gear, plus a set of six canisters that sit in pairs behind a series of thorn barriers.

Correction: It's SEVEN canisters. You also get a canister of 'Create Drayk', which is in Barzhal's room.

Alas, you can simply murder Barzahl, take his key and claim the canister as your own! - I think.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
As I stated above, this doesn't work. That sneaky Barzahl has his revenge even in death.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #18
Alas, you are right.

Well, I never like Barzahl, even when we both became Gods among Gods among Gods among the blasted lands and the piled dead.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by ShadeOfWar:

Alas, you are right.

Well, I never like Barzahl, even when we both became Gods among Gods among Gods among the blasted lands and the piled dead.

Simple. Don't become a God, and don't go near him. You don't have to do that until quite late into the game.

- Archmagi Micael

P.S. Anyone who is not a Loyalist needs to be "Cleansed" *hehehehe*

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #21
quote:

quote:
Originally written by ShadeOfWar:

Alas, you are right.

Well, I never liked Barzahl, even when we both became Gods among Gods among Gods among the blasted lands and the piled dead.

Simple. Don't become a God, and don't go near him. You don't have to do that until quite late into the game.

- Archmagi Micael

P.S. Anyone who is not a Loyalist needs to be "Cleansed" *hehehehe*

I don't get it. I didn't say I wanted to know how to avoid becoming ze Curse God. Alas, there was a little typo: "I never like Barzahl" was supposed to be "I never liked Barzahl". Otherwise, it wasn't a question :D

--------------------