More Actual Gameplay Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: More Actual Gameplay Questions
Apprentice
Member # 2554
Profile #0
Salve et Servus fellow cannister-slurping, hyped-up, acquisitive killers-

First, on my last post, thanks for the feedback! Especially, as always, draykfire, for not only answering specific questions but putting so much work in to help the rest of us. To Wit: The RECIPES!

I'm near the end of the game, having destroyed the Geneforge, etc. Unlike GF2 and GF3 gameplay, I still have tons of uncompleted quests. Doesn't seem possible to join the sects after one another. Sniff. I love an empty quest list. Some are due to the Lakan fiasco. Others, well....Corrie is no more so the Clawbug Hunt can't get me a reward, Khyryk is on my side so no one survived to reward me if went back and pounded him into eccentric shaper mush.

But 1)what do you need to fix the shaper vat? I tried tools and equipment but nothing worked.

And 2) WHERE do you find a deep focus orb? And 3)deep crystal? I've wandered all over the place, going back to annoying areas that even hurt my 39th level loyalist agent and never a focus orb or deep crystal....Knowing my luck I found 'em and sold 'em thinking they were gems or something.

4) Is the clincher. I've got the entry bracelet and the fully bejeweled one that matches it (nice touch that from Jeff the 2 objects from beginning and end of game looking alike). But I still can't get into the room in the monestary. I'm hoping it is another dungeon. The bracelet glows and that's that. What am I supposed to do?

Which brings me to 5). This game feels much more like Arvernum or Exile to me than the Geneforge games. Maybe I need to play it again as another character before judging. But it seems much less intuitive. The Greiner thing, the special cannister, getting the the trainers to train you, reading the spirit book again and again in the ghost dungeon. Going back to the magic rune after every battle in the testing ground. Run from here to there and back, stand on your head wearing a pink tutu and yodle to make the magic spirits rise. Some people like that. For me it is a bit too much like debugging microsoft software. Or fixing a broken apple powerbook or modem router ("Hold the control option power keys for three seconds, then the power p+r+q+s untill you hear a rising sequence of notes taken from Sibellius, at the command line type "rm nvmem" then after ok dance a jig naked on fifth avenue with a banana in your ear before sending the
damn thing to the manufacturer for a replacement harddrive")

Again, I'll play another game to find out. But I killed Litalia TWICE. Er, well, I killed her in the Geneforge, then went back to the gate area that I hadn't cleared. And there she was, like a bad penny. Alive and well and stomping on me with the pylons I had planned to pick off one at a time. I smite her into oblivion and then get the message that she opens a whole in the universe and steps into it escaping. Where? Into the afterlife I had already consigned her to? And then I got an autosave bug near the end where I go back to get my experience from Lord Smugness (well I wish he or his wife would open up a bit more, If Khyryk has dirty pictures in his closet what do those two get up to?) but the map shows from the first island and won't change. Argggh.

Well, is this just my bad luck? Tell me it is so I can play it again and get more satisfaction. I'll rebel next time.

Cheers and thanks for any help or encouragement. :rolleyes:
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
The Bejeweled Bracelet is not a match to the entry bracelet. There is a right and a left entry bracelet. You will need both to pass through the Monastery. Though I have completed this game several times I have yet to take not of where they are found. I think the second is be on the Isle of Spears.

The Deep Focus Orb is a purple ball, and you didn't sell it because it has a value of 0. Check within the Infested Moutains. If not there than Spharon's Lands.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 54
Profile #2
1. Use a hammer. Hammers can be found throughout the game.

(642)
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
In fact, there's a hammer on a piece of furniture right next to said shaping vat. Rather convenient.

As Dolphin mentioned, it's impossible to sell the Deep Focus Orb. The same goes for the Deep Crystal, and a whole lot of the other items used to craft the artifacts.

The Right Access Bracelet is in Benerii-Eo Labs, while the Left Access Bracelet is in Benerii-Eo Vat Core.

With regard to Lord Rahul and Lady Anjali's private chambers, it's possible to sneak around back there and loot the place without angering anyone. The guards patrol around and often leave rooms unguarded for a few turns. Just haste your PC in combat mode and time things right, and you'll be able to avoid all the guards and obtain a whole bunch of nice stuff, including a Guardian Claymore, Puresteel Plate, a canister, and a few other things I can't remember.

An interesting touch in GF3 is the glut of Indian-sounding names for NPCs. Rahul and Anjali are both common Indian names, and Diwaniya and Lankan are likely Indian-influenced. Next thing you know there'll be an Anand in Avernum 4. :P

I agree that GF3 has far more of an Avernum-like feel than its two predecessors. There are tons of graphics in common with BoA as well. His work still brings me great enjoyment, but I wonder what it would take for J.V. to deviate even slightly from his well-established formula.

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 15:10: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Apprentice
Member # 5686
Profile #4
And, if you don't like doing it in attack mode, you can just run in, open the door, close the door behind you, and leave when the guard is gone.

Heh, I stole every single thing in their suite, enhanced the items, and now I'm unstoppable.

Maybe that'll change on Gull Island....
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #5
BBB: Gull is all right until you get to the Monastery. You'll love that one.

Phrederic: I found a Deep Focus Orb near the end of the game, since I took no notes, I don't remember where, but it was in either Geneforge/or one of the two lab zones before it. Or in the Monastery Caves (that may have been it) I found only one Deep Crystal (the one that is all black?) and I forgot where (I suck! :D )

I have a question about the game, it seems I can post it here as well:

There is a door in the. . . Infested Shores? (I'm blanking big time with the word, sorry) It's in Dholan Island, west of the "West Dholan Keep Gate" Region. In that region there is a door more or less in the SW. When I approached it the first time there was a spell that made me so afraid I couldn't open it. How do you get in? Do you have to join the rebels?

I liked the game, some issues with it, but one thing that annoyed me was that after I saved their sorry hides in Dholan, in Gull and in Spears, destroyed the Geneforge which not even Oh I'm a Mighty Mite Raul (Eat me please!) could, I can't get trained by Lady Love 'cause I spoke some bad things about the Shapers? I know this is nitpicking on a minute level, but. . . doesn't all the stuff that was done for them count? I guess not (heck in the ending I got the Shapers imprison me due to the fact that I used one or two cannisters. Well. . . maybe more like all of them! Cannisters! Cannisters! I understand that. They were protecting themselves, it's what they do. Oh, heck this rant is pointless.)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Apprentice
Member # 6015
Profile #6
quote:
I agree that GF3 has far more of an Avernum-like feel than its two predecessors. There are tons of graphics in common with BoA as well. His work still brings me great enjoyment, but I wonder what it would take for J.V. to deviate even slightly from his well-established formula.
quote:
5). This game feels much more like Arvernum or Exile to me than the Geneforge games.
:cool: I believe that it was a good decision to bring some of the (non-linear) tactics of the earlier games into the click and walk (very linear) gene forge. This is bringing the product to its fullest amount of playability. Utill the next generation of controls for the charters is incorporated into a new series of the game.
Which will also start off simple, then add in game play, and replayability, then tactics.

:) I was personally ready for somthing more than another click and point book.
It was a good step in the right direction.

:rolleyes: Although a head's up would have been appreciaited.

:D Thanks to all the members for their help.

:D This one of the very few games out there worth its CD's weight in cash. Most aren't.

quote:
I liked the game, some issues with it, but one thing that annoyed me was that after I saved their sorry hides ... doesn't all the stuff that was done for them count? I guess not (heck in the ending I got the Shapers imprison me due to the fact that I used one or two cannisters. Cannisters! Cannisters! I understand that.
:( Actions should count as much or more than words.

--------------------
Belief is independent of truth.
Truth is independent of belief.

Your opinion truly does not matter.
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #7
quote:
There is a door in the. . . Infested Shores? (I'm blanking big time with the word, sorry) It's in Dholan Island, west of the "West Dholan Keep Gate" Region. In that region there is a door more or less in the SW. When I approached it the first time there was a spell that made me so afraid I couldn't open it. How do you get in? Do you have to join the rebels?
There's nothing there. Could be that Jeff set out to do it later and forgot about it, or maybe he just didn't want to do it.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
There is indeed something in there, but you need to be a rebel to exit that door.
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

There is indeed something in there, but you need to be a rebel to exit that door.
oh. what exactly do you need to go in then? cuz i played as both loyalist and rebel, and could never get in.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #10
Spoilers below:

When you are given the quest to kill Lord Rahul you are given the Summoning Orb. The result of walking up to Lord Rahul with the orb is not as the rebels intended it to be, and it ends up knocking you out instead. Lord Rahul has you thrown in jail, and when you make your great escape you leave through that door.
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #11
Except that (a bug): when you are in combat mode, you can't be taken to another town. And Rahul does not do any fancy magic to save his life in this case. So even a winner rebel can miss the jail.

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
Deep Focus Orb - Blasted Lab and Monastery Caves

Deep Crystal - Inner Plant

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by phrederic:

4) Is the clincher. I've got the entry bracelet and the fully bejeweled one that matches it (nice touch that from Jeff the 2 objects from beginning and end of game looking alike). But I still can't get into the room in the monestary. I'm hoping it is another dungeon. The bracelet glows and that's that. What am I supposed to do?

You have to have two entry bracelets one in the labs and one in the vat core on the Isle of Spears, as well as the bronze monastery key.