Anyone else annoyed by this?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Anyone else annoyed by this?
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
There are 3 different chests in northshore bridge side by side near the entrance to the general's chambers in the army camp, with different strength traps in them, I had been unable to disarm one of them and it always killed me so I kept coming back half a dozen times when my mechanics increased by one. I then spent some time after finding 16 still wasn't enough picking through my equipment to get 104% energy resistance (it does magical damage), cast steel skin and protection and augmentation on myself and triggered the trap. It still did over 500 damage. Getting frustrated at this point I looked at Schrodinger's faq and notice it says it is impossible to disarm and doesn't even contain any items anyway. And I have to wonder why there would be such a thing in the game that players will likely use up a large amount of time trying to solve it over and over again, and even if very late in the game you manage to survive opening it, there isn't even a reward.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
I tried to open it once or twice at too low a level, and obviously had no luck. I ended up opening it at the very end of the game; it was the last thing I did, and I was finally strong enough to not die (though I may have been able to do it sooner).

I was also somewhat disappointed to find that there wasn't any great treasure for my trouble, but I was too busy being satisfied with my curiosity settled to care very much.

Even if there was something good in there, I wouldn't have gotten it until I was about to leave to go back to the mainland and the item would have gone to waste. To make a long story short, it doesn't bother me all that much.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #2
What I'm annoyed with is that if it wasn't for the faq I would have probably returned many many times to try to open it, easily wasting over an hour of time on that.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #3
I was annoyed by this chest too, but when it caused me over 1500 damage I figured I was never going to open it and just forgot it. Nice to know I didn't miss out on anything.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 3347
Profile #4
It takes a 20 to open the chest and is a good indication that you will be able to open doors for the rest of the game. If you don't get to that 20 then you probably won't have enough living tools to get to goodies on the monestary island and other places. I still have to scramble around trying to find enough as it is. I carry tinkers gloves, infiltrators coat and tinkers bauble and switch to them when I come to hard chests and doors so don't have to spend points all the way to a 20.

--------------------
“Where did this apple come from?”
--Alan Turing
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #5
I brought this up a long time ago, and SoT confirmed that it was a red harring.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Apprentice
Member # 5931
Profile #6
Good to know that chest isn't worth the effort. I tried to disarm it and got hit for 1024 damage.
I thought.. there must be something that will help me win the game in that!!

My biggest peeve so far is using 3 tools to open a door to find.. yup.. 1 tool and some other stuff that was good.. but not that great. :rolleyes:
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #7
What I really hate is using a couple of tools to open a door that goes into a room that you can access freely from the other side. I learned quick to make sure there is no other way in before wasting the tools!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by arkadilo:

What I really hate is using a couple of tools to open a door that goes into a room that you can access freely from the other side. I learned quick to make sure there is no other way in before wasting the tools!
I always saved before using Living Tools to open unknown doors, as there are many locked rooms that contain nothing of value.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00