Actual gameplay questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Actual gameplay questions
Apprentice
Member # 2554
Profile #0
Hi there all you fellow kleptomaniacal psychopaths! (Isn't that what that what Jeff called us in the secret area at the end of, uhm, the arvernum (?) games...We run around stealing anything not nailed down and joyfully killing things)

I'm enjoying GF3. Don't have the hintbook. Thought maybe someone else has run through the game further than I have and knows the answer to a few things...

1) If you took the strange cannister in the mage's underground workshop is there any way NOT to have to kill Lakan or let him use it?

2) Any idea how to find the spy in the same town on Harmony? I know the spy but can't get the proof...

3) Are the consequences insanely serious if you give scintle the shaper tome back on greenwood?

4) The shaper equipment, iron bars, crystals flawed, lovely and beautiful... are these quest related (or useful in late game) as in GF1 and GF2. I'd love to sell some of those damn gems to get training but hesitate....

...And for general discussion

What weapons and armor have you enchanced, with what stone and what combinations do you like?
(All I've done is a blessing on a miserable iron sword to test it out, I'm saving the stones till I've got better equipment to enhance but upping the ruby chestguard is tempting)

It feels like GF3 is more essence-and-rare-shaper-object poor than 3 and 4. And not enough CANNISTERS (frothing at the mouth). Is this just my imagination?

It also feels like GF3 is more arvernum-like. Run here to there and back, find the quest couldn't be finished, run back again...I may be to early on to judge. What do "youse" think?

I like the new inventory screen but REALLY wish you could still double click on things to just pop 'em in your pack. The sliding between on ground window to in pack is wrist-wrenching on my trackpad! Anybody agree?

Sorry for so many different topics! And enjoy your gameplay!

:)

[ Thursday, March 31, 2005 04:54: Message edited by: phrederic ]
Apprentice
Member # 5354
Profile #1
I _HATE_ not being able to double click, shift click, right click, or whatever to get things righht into my backpack. If I want something in my pack i don't give a $%^! where it goes, I just want it in my pack. Can't GF be smarter than that?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
1) I don't think so.

2) The proof is a wooden ring in Lakan's camp.

3) No

4) Sell them - you can find them throughout the game.

Upgrade often - the enhancing stones are fairly common, and later in the game, fire protection is not going to be very valuable. Utilize it in the beginning when you can.

There are more canisters as you go along.

Press the letter of the item on the keyboard and the item will go into your pack.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
1) Yes, you can. Click the check mark to get out of the dialog about your hot canister. It will come right back up in a moment. But if you hit 'f' immediately after clicking the check, you enter combat mode before the dialog can come up again, and you can walk out of there without dealing with the issue one way or the other. Then just stay out of Lankan's face, and out of his house, and you can wander around everywhere else without either killing the rebels or supercharging them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #4
Gameplay question: How do I find the levels of the abilities I have? I click on the character information ? button, but all that shows are the base stats.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
In the top right corner of the 'statistics' screen there's a spot that says 'show abilities' or something like that. It doesn't obviously look clickable, but it is, and it toggles the 'abilities' vs 'statistics' screens.

[ Thursday, March 31, 2005 09:37: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
You can talk to Lankan again if you get rid of the canister first, I believe.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 4548
Profile #7
And I loooove the new backpack. I can organize my things with the stuff I want to sell on the bottom and the stuff I tote around on the top. This way I don't have to hunt all over the place for that shield I wanted to sell. This way I can see how much space I have left. This way I can see at a glance what all is in there! :) This is much smarter.

Bekah

--------------------
No fear, no brains.
J. Joyce.... Ulysses
Apprentice
Member # 3326
Profile #8
Question. I miss not being about to drop a certain number of items from my pack or pick up one or two of something I have stashed somewhere. I GF1 and 2, if I had 15 healing pods, I could leave 10 behind and carry 5. Now I have to drop them all or carry them all. Or is there a new, secret way to do this?

--------------------
Patricia
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
No. You can still sell a certain number, though.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #10
I think it's more strategic trying not to use potions throughout the whole game. If you're good.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 2694
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Patricia:

Question. I miss not being about to drop a certain number of items from my pack or pick up one or two of something I have stashed somewhere. I GF1 and 2, if I had 15 healing pods, I could leave 10 behind and carry 5. Now I have to drop them all or carry them all. Or is there a new, secret way to do this?
Try holding shift when you pick up the stacked items.

--------------------
"Attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Apprentice
Member # 3326
Profile #12
Thank you, thank you, thank you Phrederic. <does happy dance>

--------------------
Patricia
Apprentice
Member # 5652
Profile #13
But if you do take the canister from the underground workshop, how do you get rid of it? I want to talk to lankan now that I have killed the rogues but I can't since I have the canister. Is there any way I can drop it or pass it off?

If not, has anyone talked to Lankan after destroying the rogues and didn't pick up the canister? then what does he say?

--------------------
"Many minds make quick work of uncertainty"
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #14
No you can't actually drop the canister. To avoid killing Lankan first talk to him and press the check mark button to end the conversation. when it prompts you to give the canister to him or not press the check mark button. It will of course pop up again, so as soon as you press the check mark button press the “f” key to enter combat mode. While in combat mode you can get away from him without doing anything with the canister. Just don't go within his sight again.

Edit: You can talk to Lankan after killing the rouges.

[ Wednesday, April 06, 2005 18:11: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
There is a way later in the game to get rid of the canister, if you want. I did that, but haven't yet gone back to talk to Lankan to see what happens. I'm hoping he'll chill because I've killed all his rogues, but I can't confirm this yet.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5652
Profile #16
I was hoping that the rebellion on harmony island could be resolved peacefully once the rogues were destroyed, which is what Norell (Diwaniya's assistant) wanted. Diwaniya suggested to me that now that the rogues were gone, the rebellion would end.

When I talked to Lankan when the rogues were still there, he didn't agree, but didn't say no either.

I was wondering whether the rebellion could be resolved and lankan could thank me at least for killing the rogues IF If didn't have the canister with me.

--------------------
"Many minds make quick work of uncertainty"
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #17
Trinity and Claymore: I gave the Cannister to that Other Guy (won't say who in case people haven't advanced that far, but fear not, you won't miss him since he is neither hidden nor in a place that you're not likely to check if you're a Loyalist (don't know about full Rebel helpers)

I then went to Lankan, I had cleaned Harmony of all Rogues, I had looted Lankan's home without being caught.

Mr. D in Sun Ru didn't change his stance on the Rebels. Lankan, far as I remember, had the same dialogue as the last time I had talked to him (before taking care of the Rogues), so there's no change, and there's still the option of: "I haven't found the Cannister" (I was hoping for something more along the lines of: "I found your precious Cannister and it is destroyed you tool, what are you gonna do about it, huh?")

But throughout the game I had that urge from many people, like, for instance, (Major Spoiler, please don't read further if you haven't done Gull Island yet!) in Gull Island you can: help the Serviles, or help Shaper Agatha and her cronnies. I killed all the Serviles in Stonespire (including the human Alchemist who was the only human, besides Corrie, who fought me) before I rescued Agatha, the game progressed in the same exact way as if I had rescued her with the Serviles in the town (I had done so before).

Or, with Lord Raul and Lady A. (as well as the Guardian to the north of the Keep) who treat me in the same way at the end of the game after I helped them as they did when I first met them, as a Servile Sympathizer. I guess cleaning the Islands and destroying the Geneforge is not enough to show the Shapers whose side one is. Once you say a few things against their Mighty Rule, they never forget.

(still, it is an awesome game.)

Cheers!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing that there aren't a few more late game dialog branches, especially since there are several reasons why you can end up going back to revisit old islands. Lankan was so miffed about the rogues, so he should have something to say if you announce that you've squelched them -- even if what he says is just that this episode has revealed to him the terrible irresponsibility of Shaper rule, and now he can never submit because there will always be a next time.

Maybe they can get added in an update.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
Sorry this is a little off topic, but it seems as good a place as any to add this.

In the creature scripts there is a script for “pc created Ornk” I have yet to find the canister.

[ Monday, April 11, 2005 11:30: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00