Progressing as an Agent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Progressing as an Agent
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #0
I'm playing an Agent right now, level 8. I'm pretty stuck in the game.

Thahds in the Lair of the Creator just beat the crud out of me, even the worms (especially Ice Worms) below Fort Khandi (I think its called?) can beat me up.

I have the Agent NPC you can get to join you with me, also.

I was thinking the Guardian might be better, but he ran off early on and I havent gone back to get him (so he might be a little weak...)

Also, is there a regenerating stock or location of Living Tools? I ran out and need 2 more to open the 2nd door in that Lair.

I'm starting to think I should of played a Shaper... but I recall Agents being tough to play early on in Geneforge 1 and then being awesome later, so i'll see (I havent played Geneforge 2 yet)

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 01:32: Message edited by: LlamaGod ]

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Yeah, Agents can be a little tough early on. On the higher difficulty levels, getting into a situation where you're actually being attacked is pretty much a death sentence. Run and hide around corners where you can, always attacking from the very edge of your spell range (if you have a way to haste yourself, that helps). For those situations where you have no choice but to stare your opponents down, it might be worth putting one level (and *only* one level) into a shaping skill so as to have a source of meatshields.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #2
Daze, my good man, Daze! If you are an Agent then Daze them, every single opponent you run into. You should be able to Daze anything at Greenwood without even bothering about buying up MM. Also, Lair of the Creator? You don't need to go in there from the front, you can go around. Daze the Thads.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by So I Will Eat Fugu:

Yeah, Agents can be a little tough early on. On the higher difficulty levels, getting into a situation where you're actually being attacked is pretty much a death sentence. Run and hide around corners where you can, always attacking from the very edge of your spell range (if you have a way to haste yourself, that helps). For those situations where you have no choice but to stare your opponents down, it might be worth putting one level (and *only* one level) into a shaping skill so as to have a source of meatshields.
Not one single level into shaping will help you. It will only detract from your full potential later. I guess I need to write out an Agent guide or something.

If you put any points into shaping you need to be smacked with a herring.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #4
I've put most of my points into the spells (its like 7,7,7,3 or something), and some into melee and some into Leadership and Mecanical.

I'm on the second island now and I still get beat up, i'll try out Daze.

Tried a ranged weapons guardian a bit, they seemed to be better though..

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #5
My agent is of course mostly magic. The spell I use most is Essence Orbs, so I enjoyed the canister system very much. I always have about four points in fire shaping. What can I say, I like having a Cryodrayk by my side.

Putting a few point in shaping has never been a hindrance for me, and I play on torment most of the time. I also put about nine points into melee, as I don't like to be dependent on essence.

Playing as an Agent allows for spreading out the skill points, as they are all-around strong. Shapers are too weak to focus on melee, and guardians can't muster enough essence to really partake in shaping.

Am I the only one who does this and survives?
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
No, but given that there are several items that boost shaping skill, it really is a waste -- you are spending 6 skill points just to have Thahd meatshields an island or two early, even though there's absolutely no need for them that early. Daze is so ridiculously powerful in G3, and essence pods are so plentiful, that it should carry you through much of the game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

No, but given that there are several items that boost shaping skill, it really is a waste
Unless you are playing a loyalist with minimal canister use! Specializing in fire shaping, the strongest creation available is the Cryoa, Roamer's aren't worthwhile and Pyroroamers are even less so, and a good loyalist would never make a Drayk. ;) In that case, an Agent will never be able to make any strong creations, the only hope for getting a useful ally in the end game is to create a creation early and let it level up naturally. Since by the time you get off Harmony, you have a respectable level 5 Fyora shaping skill, you might as well get a couple shaping points and make some useful Cryoas, if you manage to keep them around till the end you'll find they can go toe to toe with any Drayk out there and don't fare too badly against Drakon's either.

--------------------
Whatever happens, happens.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
Can a true loyalist actually get to make cryoras, or does it need a canister?

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #9
You start off knowing one level of Fyora.

You can buy two levels on Harmony.

Bam.

Cryoas.

No canisters needed.

And a Hardcore Loyalist could probably defeat the game using Cryoas, Vlish, Glaahks, and or Thahd Shades. Of course, this is all useless information for the Agent.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
7 7 7 3?

Man, you are wasteing some good skillpoints. Mental Magic does not need to be higher then 3 (2 from start, 1 p from Carnelian Gloves) and Blessing Magic only needs to be at 3 aswell, pump up Battle Magic and Spellcraft.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

7 7 7 3?

Man, you are wasteing some good skillpoints. Mental Magic does not need to be higher then 3 (2 from start, 1 p from Carnelian Gloves) and Blessing Magic only needs to be at 3 aswell, pump up Battle Magic and Spellcraft.

See... The whole 777/X thing is why so many people think the Agent needs meatshields in the first place. An Agent built in this manner is doomed to failure on higher difficulties, or, at least doomed to being mediocre and WEAK.

You start getting crazy returns on battle magic and spellcraft when both are in the teens. At say, 7th level battle magic and say, 3 spellcraft, you will fire icebolts that do approx 50 to 100 damage. A Guardian with beefy missile skills can outdo this sort of damage with an Icy Crystal. Numbers can be a little higher or lower due to resists of intended target. At level 14 battle magic, with say, a level 10 spell craft, you start hitting the 150 to 250 range for icebolts. At a nice 15/15 split, you start getting into the 200/300ish damage ranges for your icebolts. This is a whole lot of hurt... More than what a Cryoa or a Cryodrayk could ever hope to offer you. Now, with the right items, you can boost your battle magic and spellcraft by 5 or more points, bringing them into the 20s... The point where you become utterly, fantastically dangerous. At this point, you don't have icebolts... You are no longer flinging icicles and skewering your foes... You are dropping glacial iceburgs on their skulls, the equivalent of dropping an anvil on somebody's noggin.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #12
Now, i don't completly agree with this statement. Awhile ago someone said that with Battle Magic around 20 and SC around 15 you could do 300 damage with Essence orbs. Well, i did rise to that challenge and made another Agent, this time with no point spent in Endurance (as suggested aswell). I agree that it is a powerful combo, but 300 damage for Ice and Essence? Man, i got Battle Magic 20 and SC of 16 and my Ice/Essence don't go above 250. Have i missed something or is it that you guys are just exaggerating slightly?

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #13
Some foes are highly resistant. Use another spell.

Magic creations, like Artillas, Gazers, Glaahks, etc, are resistant to magical damage, so use elemental. Fire based creations are resistant and strong to elemental damages, so use magic. When in doubt, use acid if you can. Some things, like certain types of turrets, your orbs will do an amazing 1 point of damage.

Pay attention to what damages what. And if something isn't very damaging, switch to another spell.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

Blessing Magic only needs to be at 3
But you need 4 to cast group bless/haste (I forget the name), which no character should be without. Even if they are a guardian and/or don't use creations.

quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

And a Hardcore Loyalist could probably defeat the game using Cryoas, Vlish, Glaahks, and or Thahd Shades.
Mine had only a fyora and a vlish.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

quote:

Blessing Magic only needs to be at 3
But you need 4 to cast group bless/haste (I forget the name), which no character should be without. Even if they are a guardian and/or don't use creations.

quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

And a Hardcore Loyalist could probably defeat the game using Cryoas, Vlish, Glaahks, and or Thahd Shades.
Mine had only a fyora and a vlish.

Blessing Magic only needs to be at three. Why?

Because, you will be wearing items that boost your magic skills, like the Agent's Cloak, various necklaces, etc. By the time you have a few of these items, your Blessing Magic will be several levels higher. And, I think, I might be wrong, but there is a book or a tomb someplace that also boosts your various magic levels, including Blessing Magic. I think. I actually, can't remember, sorry, but I recall some of my magic stats getting raised.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #16
quote:

7 7 7 3?

Not quite, in the early game one should choose to build up either Battle Magic or Mental Magic, but not both. An agent specializing in mental tricks can be quite formidible, at high levels you'll find Terror to do the trick against most enemies. One of my favorite tactics when confronted with a group of rogues was to Dominate one or more of them and then back off letting them destroy each other. :D

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #17
A man after my own heart!

Dominate rocks. I have found that Mr. Smartypants building his Geneforge is quickly torn apart by his own creations if you use Dominate. Disable all of the spawners but one... and every time it makes a creation, Dominate it. Why fight fair when you can fight dirty?

Feels so good.

I too, found Terror to be a great asset on Torment with the serviles later on.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #18
I noted that Plated Clawbugs and Battle Alphas have low energy resistance. Well, i kick em with Essence Orbs and still no 300 damage.

And why the hell would you bother with Group Blessing so early int he game? All you need is Speed, Protection and War Blessing.Later on you get items and such which enables you to get the Essence Armor that you should go for.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
In fact all you need is Speed and War Blessing. If you play an Agent right no-one will ever attack you, so you don't need any defense. For the odd place where heat or fumes or whatever does damage, Augmentation is great, and Armor Potions are easy to find.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

every time it makes a creation, Dominate it. Why fight fair when you can fight dirty?

A good way to take out spawners is to Dominate them. The spawner will make a creation which will still be hostile. But since the spawner is on your side... well, the spawner has just sealed its own doom. :D

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #21
The SPCS will surely be after you now. Though of course you will just Dominate them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

The spawner will make a creation which will still be hostile. But since the spawner is on your side... well, the spawner has just sealed its own doom. :D [/QB]
He's talking about the three "invisible" spawners of the final fight with Akhari.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

quote:

every time it makes a creation, Dominate it. Why fight fair when you can fight dirty?

A good way to take out spawners is to Dominate them. The spawner will make a creation which will still be hostile. But since the spawner is on your side... well, the spawner has just sealed its own doom. :D

I never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea!
:)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4106
Profile #24
Daze can be learned from the mage in Kentia east gate,the one who tells you about the anvil.
When you learn Daze,you will be a Demi-GOD.
Once you learn Aura of Flames you will be a true GOD.