Geneforge wiki?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge wiki?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #0
Is there a Geneforge wiki? And, if not (as I suspect), is there any interest in such a thing? After all, the Avernum games have their own wiki.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
EE draws from Exile as much as Avernum.

And, no. EE exists mainly because of Blades scenarios, and secondly because of creative forum activity years ago. Geneforge has neither of these things.

While a site covering some of the major players, locations, ideas, etc. in Geneforge might be cool, the world isn't even remotely as expansive as Ermarian is.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
Voila!

That certainly isn't much. I could add to the articles if I felt motivated, but I've only played the demos.

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008 17:36: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
I dub thee...
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:

EE draws from Exile as much as Avernum.
I know this. But storyline-wise, they're basically pretty much the same games.

(Okay, there's a few differences, such as gorgons and apparently the golem dungeon.)

quote:

While a site covering some of the major players, locations, ideas, etc. in Geneforge might be cool, the world isn't even remotely as expansive as Ermarian is.

Maybe not, but it's still pretty expansive. Way more so than Nethergate, for example (there wouldn't really be a point in having a Nethergate wiki).

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008 18:00: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Excalibur, a wiki article is not the same as a wiki. Wiki is also not short for Wikipedia, in case that was the confusion.

The reason an E/A wiki makes sense is that there are numerous world elements (be they people, places, races, laws of nature, or what have you) that do very different things in different games in the series.

In the Geneforge series, world elements tend to either be one-shot appearances, or be fairly static. There are a relatively small number of recurring characters, compared to literally hundreds of recurring characters in the Avernums. There are no recurring locations. Individual creations, apparati, and magical effects do not change much over the series. Instead of learning something new about clawbugs in each game, each game tends to say the same things about clawbugs. The result is that, unlike Avernum, there is not a lot of information to cross-reference. For most subjects you can find all the information there is by checking just one part of a game.

That said, I wonder how much work it would take Aran to set one up. ^_^

EDIT: I changed my mind. This sounds neat, even if less useful than EE. Aran, how much work would it take to set one up?

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008 18:18: Message edited by: Unhasty ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
Encyclopedia Terrestia.

Aran tells me this is quite doable. The bandwidth isn't an issue and the installation is simple.

I think it could be neat, so the question becomes, are there several people interested in contributing to it?

My own involvement would probably be organizing, categorizing, editing, and making lists and templates. Are there others who are interested in actually writing articles? If so, this could be a good project.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
I suppose I'm interested, mostly in article writing and fact-checking.

Dikiyoba hasn't played G3 but is fairly familiar with the other games.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I will gladly provide hosting and occasional tech support, but would like to leave the administration to someone else as I have played far too little Geneforge to contribute any content.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #8
Nalyd'll help with most anything, he's played all the games.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Oh, go on then. I've played all of the 4 games, and am familiar with them.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - mouths open to tongues that vibrated.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
That's five people counting myself and (I am assuming) Celtic Minstrel. Assuming at least three of us follow through, that should be sufficient to make ET worthwhile. (Hey, it's a new ET acronym.)

I'll volunteer for admin duties, since my experience with EE might be helpful there. Aran, let's make this happen.

So the next question is:

terrestia.ermarian.net
or
geneforge.ermarian.net
or

something else entirely? vlish.ermarian.net? shanti.ermarian.net? danette.ermarian.net? defniel.ermarian.net? barred.ermarian.net?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
My opinion, "terrestia.ermarian.net" sounds good.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - mouths open to tongues that vibrated.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #12
Seconded.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
My one concern about terrestia.ermarian.net is that it inherently sounds like it supports Geneforge-Avernum syncretism.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #14
fyora.ermarian.net

[ Sunday, January 13, 2008 07:24: Message edited by: LakiRa@ ]

--------------------
You must show me respect becouse...never mind why but do respect me!
All hail me, your...something.
Don't contradict me or I'l...GUARDS!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Originally by Slartucker:

quote:
My one concern about terrestia.ermarian.net is that it inherently sounds like it supports Geneforge-Avernum syncretism.
terrestia-not.ermarian.net :P

Seriously, Dikiyoba's vote is for terrestia.ermarian.net.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #16
quote:

That's five people counting myself and (I am assuming) Celtic Minstrel.
I am certainly willing to contribute, but I've only played the demos. So I won't be able to contribute a lot.

quote:

terrestia.ermarian.net
or
geneforge.ermarian.net

I like these two the best. As for the Geneforge-Avernum syncretism thing, there's nothing that can be done about that if Arancaytar is hosting it, unless he wants to buy a new domain name. Which I very highly doubt.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
Not to be discarded, actually. The cost is about 15 dollars per year. On one hand, it would be possible to get that back with Adsense, on the other I don't know if placing ads on a reproduction of Jeff's intellectual property is legally sound.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

on the other I don't know if placing ads on a reproduction of Jeff's intellectual property is legally sound.
It'll more likely irritate the users. Besides if it confuses people too much, then they aren't the ones you want using it.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #19
So will this essentially be another Encyclopedia Ermarian, except for Geneforge? Or will it be something new?

If you folks want to break the mold, I think it would be a good idea to include information on character builds, even though they aren't directly mentioned in the games.

--------------------
It's just trying to say hi!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
That's a good question. The lack of a scenario creator and fanon community makes this very different.

First, I think we can say that ET should only have information from the games and not anything that's made up. In another direction, I don't think anything would be added by writing the encyclopedia "in character" as EE is. It would probably be more useful to discuss "out of character" information like creation stats if we find it useful.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #21
I like the in-universe perspective. However (assuming MediaWiki), you could reserve the Main namespace for in-universe content, and create an extra namespace for the kind of gameplay stuff you mentioned.

Of course, in-universe is by no means a requirement. If you'd rather not have an in-universe perspective, that's perfectly fine.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #22
I like the idea of discussing it out of character, since that would allow for the most content. YOu could include creation and pc stats, suggested builds for each of the character types, and links to geneforge help stuff, to name a few.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
I guess I'm still thinking of a EE-type project--a unified information source for everything we know about Terrestia and Shaping--rather than any gameplay stuff. I would prefer an in-character style most of the time, but I'm not against an out-of-character perspective when necessary.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
I'm not sure I see the sense in making ET a repository for FAQ-type information -- which would be redundant and not useful -- or for build ideas or other strategy or play hints, which are subjective and do not belong in an 'authoritative' style project like an encyclopedia.

I do think it would be nice to be able to say "The Guardian Claymore provides a +2 Strength bonus" rather than "The Guardian Claymore enhances the physical prowess of those who wield it."

--------------------

Pages