Geneforge 3.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 3.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #0
As long as i have been here,i have heard a few things about GF3,how it is the worst out of the four games,but can anyone tell me just how bad this game is?
I know it can't be as bad as you all say it is.

--------------------
R.R
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
No, it isn't nearly as bad as some people say. People were disappointed that it didn't add any new spells or creations, after G2 had added several of these. But it added crafting and underground zones. People were disappointed that it had only two sides instead of the four or five alternatives of G2. But it added ongoing dialogs with NPCs that could accompany you for much of the game, and repeated interactions with (or at least scripted appearances by) NPCs whom you might eventually either fight or aid.

No doubt people who didn't like the game have other things to complain about too. To me it doesn't quite equal G1 because G1 was really original because it was first, and G4 is the best of the series for several reasons. But I rank G3 and G2 about the same, and I think they're both great games.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
I think the main reason people don't like it is because of the boat system and the fact that it only has two factions. Otherwise, it seems fine to me.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Geneforge 3 isn't a bad game at all, but it was a bad sequel.

The major complaint was that the plot was one-dimensional and highly repetitive, especially if you'd played the first two games.

There was also the lack of innovation. Although G3 had a few new ideas (such as item enhancements, and Alwan and Greta) the game was almost identical to G2 technically. Which is to say, it's mostly great -- but when you've played the previous games and are on your 200th zone of the same plot and the same mechanics and the same enemies, it starts to get old.

If you can get past those, it's a solid game with enough character-building depth to offer a lot of good play time. But if you're new to Geneforge, I wouldn't start with G3. Maybe either G1 or G4, depending on your tastes.

EDIT: Double-sniped. Sheesh. ET's right about the boats, though; they were possibly the worst thing about any Geneforge game ever.

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:22: Message edited by: Slartypants ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #4
Another thing that ticked people off is that the Shapers and Rebels were both evil, and you had to choose between the lesser of the two evils. The Shapers, as arrogant and elitist as ever (they relaxed this policy in G4) and the Rebels, terrorists who released monsters on the local populace.

--------------------
All praise the greatest mod of all time! Long live Master Aran!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
The spells got tweaked a little like daze, but the boats made the game drag. Having to go to the appropriate dock and shift items from island to island so you would have all the ingredients to craft slowed things down.

Plus you were forced to choose sides on the third island. No more fence sitting.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Hopeking:

Another thing that ticked people off is that the Shapers and Rebels were both evil, and you had to choose between the lesser of the two evils. The Shapers, as arrogant and elitist as ever (they relaxed this policy in G4) and the Rebels, terrorists who released monsters on the local populace.
Whaaa?? You are kidding me! Granted I've only played GF1 to compare but there wasn't a "perfect ending" in GF1 either. None of the three sects or the two 'leaders' (Trajkov and the other Shaper) offered the best alternative. Pretty sure the same will be in GF2... In fact that's one of the main draws of Geneforge - there is no Hollywood ending, no perfect side, no real GOOD and no real EVIL; just shades of grey.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
The Awakened.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

The Awakened.
Please tell me you are kidding.

The Awakened is a flawed position for two reasons:

1)As many NPCs mention in the game the Shaper council will never recognize Serviles as "equals".
2)Serviles were created as a source of cheap, efficient, expandable labor. If the Awakened get their wish, then their purpose (e.g. the reason why they were created by the Shapers) dissapears!

It's a shame that Serviles were given the ability to breed. Were I on the council I would grant the Awakened their wish, steralize them, forbid the creation of new Serviles and begin research on a new subservient race that can replace the Serviles.

Serviles remind me most of illegal Mexican immigrants.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Eugi:

quote:
Please tell me you are kidding.

The Awakened is a flawed position for two reasons:

1)As many NPCs mention in the game the Shaper council will never recognize Serviles as "equals".
2)Serviles were created as a source of cheap, efficient, expandable labor. If the Awakened get their wish, then their purpose (e.g. the reason why they were created by the Shapers) dissapears!
Why would he be kidding? Your first point has nothing to do with good and evil. The Awakened have good ideas, they're just not feasible. It added to the dilemma in G1--the group I wanted to most help out had the fewest reasons for me to do so.

As for your second point, slavery is generally considered an evil thing rather than a good thing these days. If you do not feel that way, please call Dikiyoba--you look cheap, efficient, and expendable, and Dikiyoba has plenty of stuff that needs cleaning, weeding, recorded, and so on.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

It's a shame that Serviles were given the ability to breed. Were I on the council I would grant the Awakened their wish, steralize them, forbid the creation of new Serviles and begin research on a new subservient race that can replace the Serviles.

Serviles remind me most of illegal Mexican immigrants.

These two statements, taken in conjunction, make me more than a little uncomfortable.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Serviles are for the most part exploited. Everywhere that you see serviles under Shaper control there are plenty of whips and shackles lying around to keep them under control. If Shapers hadn't created them, they would have created something else to do the work.

Serviles are the slave class. Just like slaves allowed Athens to have its golden age and us to have cheap workers using Mexicans. Of course now the Mexicans are complaining that even cheaper workers from farther south are taking over the worst jobs.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
The Awakened do seem like Good Guys in G1, though their treatment of a certain servant mind does show a ruthless streak at least.

It's in G2 that you see their problem: in order to survive, in the next generation after Ellrah they are willing to become as bad as anyone else. Their great hope, Tuldaric, is an affect-diminished canister victim who dabbles in demons. And their great plan is mass enslavement of drakons.

They're still more appealing than the other sects, but you can see that they are falling for the Dark Side, so to speak.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
They all have a dark side. Just turn in a spy and the next time you go back to where the spy was you find a puddle of blood.

There is no good side, just how much evil do you want to support.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by DikiPDN:

Why would he be kidding? Your first point has nothing to do with good and evil. The Awakened have good ideas, they're just not feasible. It added to the dilemma in G1--the group I wanted to most help out had the fewest reasons for me to do so.

As for your second point, slavery is generally considered an evil thing rather than a good thing these days. If you do not feel that way, please call Dikiyoba--you look cheap, efficient, and expendable, and Dikiyoba has plenty of stuff that needs cleaning, weeding, recorded, and so on.

Look, I'm an American and I want to support a winner. The Awakened will never get their agenda through, even they themselves aknowledge that! Therefore while I sympathise with their cause I feel that no one should have any reason to support them as they have unnatainable and unrealistic goals.

Finally I find your comment about slavery immensly amusing. Yes, no longer does the world (widely) practice slavery with chain and bondage. Instead now we have evolved different methods of accomplishing the same thing! Take, for example, debt or other fiscal means of control. This can be seen on an individual basis (private money lender) and on an international one as well (one country investing heavily into the other only in a specific industry, e.g. cash crops). Slavery in one shape or form will never go away.

Now, back to the serviles. Without going into Thuryl's equally amusing comment one of the reasons the Serviles can never achieve freedom is that the Shaper structure would suffer a major blow. Gone would be their reliable source of cheap labor (see Mexicans in the US analogy). Prices would sky-rocket and the Shapers will either grind to a hault barring the Shaping of a new organism to take the Servile's place or will go into debt and disintegrate entirely. I'm of a mind that some order is better than none.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

These two statements, taken in conjunction, make me more than a little uncomfortable.
I won't dance around this one. Yes, your reasoning seems to paint me as some xenophobic advocate of genocide. To clarify my thoughts, however, I was merely commenting on how dependant Shapers are on the Serviles for the existence of Shaper dominance. Just like curently the United States is depenent on cheap Central and Southern American labor for anything from house construction to restaurant kitchens. Without these peoples America would not be able to afford or propogate the care-free lifestyle we have now!

To comment on the Shapers vs Awakened (later Rebels) situation I'd say that it's a shame that there's no Khyzyk side in the game (the lone Shaper in the tower in GF3, likely misspelling his name). Of course the game wouldn't be much fun if his "side" was available...

This reminds me of the GF3 ending though. I really hate Khyzyk. I mean, there he is, a rational soul in the midst of bi-partisan chaos who is a respected, old and powerful Shaper. But what does he do? Make his island "dissapear" from world events! He chickens out! He never fights for what he believes in or tries to incur change! What a loser.