Newbie questions:

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Newbie questions:
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
Just started Geneforge and have some questions.

What is the yellow bar under your health bar? Stamina?

Do you get less xp having 2 pets out rather than 1?

Is it possible to get by without mechanics?

[ Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:49: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
1/ It's actually green and it's your spell energy (as opposed to essence, which is blue). You need both energy and essence in order to cast spells. I suggest you read the online help file which explains the basics of Geneforge.

2/ Yes. The formula is given in Schrodinger's FAQ - see here.

3/ It is possible, but I wouldn't advise it. Mechanics makes your unlock spells better, and it helps to disarm traps, crystals, mines and machinery. There are lots of crystals, mines and machinery in Geneforge. If you don't have mechanics you will have a lot more fights on your hand.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

[b]2/ Yes. The formula is given in Schrodinger's FAQ - see here.

[/b]Link si brokan.

As I remember it, the example was getting 50 xp with no creations, 28 xp with one, 23 with two, and maybe 20 with three and so on, meaning that with more creations you get more xp overall for each kill, but no one gains levels very quickly.

[ Thursday, September 07, 2006 13:21: Message edited by: Raka shaka laka ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
OK, since the link seems not to be working (odd since I can still use by bookmark to the site, but there you go): the formula is

1=> 15/16 15/20
2=> 14/16 14/20
3=> 13/16 13/20
4=> 12/16 12/20
5=> 11/16 11/20
6=> 10/16 10/20
7=> 9/16 9/20

That is, with 1 creation, your PC gets 15/16 of the total experience and your creations get 15/20 of the total experience. And with 2 creations, your PC gets 14/16 of the total experience and your creations get 14/20 of the total experience. So it doesn't taper off quite as fast as all that.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #4
If you still want the walkthroguh you should go to the main gamefaqs page www.gamefaqs.com www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin and continue from there. It's very useful!

[ Thursday, September 07, 2006 22:33: Message edited by: Punkrock Maniac ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #5
Thanks guys.

New question: What is the advantage of evolving your creatures over just starting them out with higher stats?
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #6
Nothing except sentimental value.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #7
Isn't that kind of silly? What is the point of their skill points then? Nothing?
hat is the advantage of evolving vs absorbing and creating a newer creature with more stats?

[ Friday, September 08, 2006 04:47: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #8
Oh wait, I was answering the question you just asked before.

EDIT: In case that isn't clear, I was saying that you should just absorb your creations and make new ones when you improve your shaping skill or knowledge of a specific creation shaping.

The reason you would evolve them over time as opposed to starting them out with high skills is so as you gain levels (and therefore more essence), you can get them more skills. But we basically all agree that fundamentally, quantity is better than quality.

[ Friday, September 08, 2006 05:29: Message edited by: the Great Potato ]

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
You have to determine whether the new creation will have higher stats than one that has been around from earlier in the game. Usually if you have raised your shaping level, gotten certain items, and/or more levels with that creation the new creature will be more powerful for the same essence cost. Just save the file before absorbing and see which one is better.

Most people seem to be sentimental about older creations.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

You have to determine whether the new creation will have higher stats than one that has been around from earlier in the game. Usually if you have raised your shaping level, gotten certain items, and/or more levels with that creation the new creature will be more powerful for the same essence cost.
Note that this advice applies mostly to Geneforge 1; in Geneforge 2 and 3, the way creations gain stats when they level up is slightly different, and it's enough of a difference that keeping old creations around can often make a lot of sense, if you're willing to take the trouble to keep your original creations alive.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #11
Ok, one last question for now. How worth it is it to increase the shaping skills? It gives an extra level to the appropriate creatures right?

Is it that every 3 into the shaping skills gets you a new creature or every 3 canisters that raise like roamer to level 3 gets me a new creature?

I have been pretty much just pumping everything into int/healing/leadership/mechanics...

Also, how do you determine the category of new creatures such as a battle alpha?

[ Friday, September 08, 2006 17:45: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
You get a new creation when you get three levels in a creation - 3 in fyora gets you a cryoa.

It's definitely worth it to put points into shaping skills.

Your spell/shaping level skill is displayed on a separate screen, which shows you that battle alphas are battle shaping, glaakhs are magic shaping, etc.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #13
Doesn't it make more sense to go all into intelligence than the shaping skills? That way you could max out new creations' strength, etc? It seems like you get the new creations from exploring, and not levelling.

Wouldn't it be better to max strength than to give the creation a few levels?

And also, does strength affect everyones' damage, including missile type creations?

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 11:20: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by shadow9d9:

Doesn't it make more sense to go all into intelligence than the shaping skills? That way you could max out new creations' strength, etc? It seems like you get the new creations from exploring, and not levelling. Wouldn't it be better to max strength than to give the creation a few levels?
No. Since creations gain stats as they gain levels, an extra level on every creation you create can often be a lot better than a little more essence to make creations with.

quote:
And also, does strength affect everyones' damage, including missile type creations?
Yes.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
Shaping skills will increase all four stats and start your creation at a higher level than using up essence to raise just one stat by putting everything into intelligence. There are limits so raising a shaping skill past 10 doesn't do as much.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #16
As a newbie who read that magic creations are the best, I didn't want to level my guy as if I knew this ahead of time.. therefore, I am primarily bumping intelligence since I won't legitimately know which type is the best til the end. So far I have been using battle/magic.. the newer the find, the better.. was using the big battle guys, now just found a drayyk. I guess I could add one level of each magic/battle creations each level.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #17
Not wanting to spoil things, Drayks are horribly underpowered.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
Hmm, maybe in relation to their cost, but since eventually you have loads of Essence, I always find Drayks pretty good.

In principle the advantage of keeping creations alive so they level up is greater for an Agent or Guardian who never gets very high Shaping skills or Essence. Even if you don't use their acquired skill points to pump their stats, because that costs you more Essence, they get stronger with level. So for the trivial cost of a starting Fyora, by late in the game you can have something comparable to a Drayk. It's a good idea because it lets creations, which are after all the main novelty of these games, play a bigger role for the classes that don't have so much Essence.

Trouble is that I've always had real trouble making it work. On Torment, I recently found that a missile Guardian could keep a pair of creations alive and useful in G1 and G2, if the creations also had ranged attacks. Other builds either couldn't keep the creations alive, or were so much better at attacking themselves that the creations became irrelevant. On lower difficulty settings, keeping creations so they gain lots of levels is probably a lot easier.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
I never play with creations unless I'm playing as a Shaper, and I hardly ever play as a Shaper. But picking up NPCs has proved useful, even though they can't match my damage they can provide me with cover.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #20
Oh, and one more thing... it seems like spellcraft is important to determine healing abilities.. is this correct? I was under the assumption that I could keep increasing my healing skill and that would be enough. Would that be wrong?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
Spellcraft improves all spells, including healing spells. In Geneforge 1, it really doesn't matter, because costs don't go up for skills. Geneforge 2 & 3 are a different story.

If you use different types of magic, your best bet would be to strike a balance between Healing and Spellcraft. Otherwise, increasing just healing is fine. Don't neglect your other skills in the process, though.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #22
Well, I upped my healing from 7 to 10 last level and didn't really see any improvement. 40-60 healing.,.. and under my abilities list it shows healing at 2... Any ideas?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
I have a feeling that Minor Heal and Heal max out at a certain level in order to make Major Heal worthwhile.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
I don't think it maxs out so much as the difference per level isn't that much compared to random variation per level. As you go up in levels you need the higher spells since you are getting more damage.

Pages