G3 ? - Skill Points and Item

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: G3 ? - Skill Points and Item
Apprentice
Member # 7317
Profile #0
Hi -

I've just started playing Geneforge 3 and I'm at the last segment of the first island. I've played G1 for a few days before, but other that, I'm completely new to the game. I've tried searching the forum, but I can't find a thread that answers my questions.

#1 - Skill points - is the only way of getting them is to level up? Every time I get some, I always use them. In other threads, I've notice people hoard them up.

#2 - Items. What's the point of the flawed crystals? Is that just something to get cash? I'm a bit confused, I tried forging them to my sword, but only the ruby worked. I sell things like candles and work tools (saws, axes, etc.) to get be able to buy new spells.

I'm a Shaper, at Level 9 and am just about to battle the big boss at the end of the first island. Strength and the other four skill sets are at 5-4, everything else is pretty poor - fire shaping is at 1, and leadership at 5, mechanics at 7 and luck at 4. Am I on the right track, or totally off? I'm really not used to so many different statistics.

I've beaten off all the rouges, and if the only way to get more skill points is to level up, I'm pretty hooched. Is there another way of getting them?

The other thing - I have seven saved games - how did that happen? I have only made two... I'm a organize freak, and I don't like having extra clutter around - is it possible to delete these unused game slots?

That's all for now, any help or a point to a tip list (I tried looking at that FAQ - it was way too long and none of my search questions came up.)

Thanks
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
Welcome to the boards.

G1 is my favorite of the three by a slight margin, but G2 is good too, you know, and fills in some of the story before G3.

Levelling up is the only way to get the skill points that you can then apply to any ability you choose, but there are several ways throughout the game to get extra points in various abilities. If you've played G1 you'll know the main one, but there are also trainers and books. I often end up hoarding a few, mostly just because eventually you have to save up through a couple of levels just to gain a single point in your higher abilities.

Flawed crystals are just for cash. Selling candles is probably not worth it, and even selling tools is more trouble than most people consider worthwhile. You can probably only bother about better items, and still not be short of money in the end.

The boss at the end of the first island is kind of tough, most people find. You can search around for some tactical advice for this particular battle; scroll down in the FAQ and there should be something.

As to your character, you may be spreading your skill points around too much. You don't really need dexterity and you shouldn't need Strength much because as a Shaper you shouldn't be needing armor for melee. You shouldn't need Endurance much because your creations should be taking all the damage for you. What you need are decent shaping skills in one of the three types (I like Magic best), and high Intelligence so you can make more creations.

What creations do you have? For a shaper, this is the crucial point. With half a dozen Artilas, and War Blessing, that boss shouldn't be too much trouble. Add a Speed spore for good measure and it should be easy.

What difficulty setting are you on? If you've made some mistakes in building up your character, you could drop it to Easy, then crank it back up if you found it too easy.

I think you can delete the excess save slots by deleting their files from outside the game, but be careful you don't delete the ones you want to keep. I generally end up using several, though, because I like trying dubious things.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
#1. - You get skill points when you reach a new level by killing things and fulfilling some quests. Exile/Avernum have skill potions/knowledge brews that give you skill points but not in Geneforge.

#2. - Some crystals can be used to forge items. See the end of the FAQ and threads on item recipes for hints about what to keep. In GF3, flawed crystals are good for cash. In GF1 they can be forged into items using machines in the mines. Some items sell for a little more when grouped in fours like thread that goes from 1 each to 5 for 4.

When in doubt just wait until later about selling items. There is no penalty for hoarding until you really need money.

#3. - For a Shaper it pays to concentrate on one or two shaping classes. Fire and magic are the best at the start for offensive creations. There are several threads from about 2 months ago about the different characters and what skills to buy. Being a generalist with keeping everything equal may hurt you in the beginning.

There are certain skills that will allow you to do quests and gain experience. Having mechanic at 10 will lets you safely test the trap in Fort Kentia. You can save living tools going through the mines at lower mechanic levels. Having higher leadership gives you more options.

The extra saved games may have occurred when you forgot to click on a previous saved game. That causes the next empty slot to be used.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #3
The trap only does like 1-4 damage though... I find that a base mechanics skill of 6-8 is enough and from there you carry the infiltrator set with you at all times by the end of the game (which I admit can be a pain with a character of little strength).

[ Thursday, July 20, 2006 07:14: Message edited by: Retlaw May ]

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

What creations do you have? For a shaper, this is the crucial point. With half a dozen Artilas, and War Blessing, that boss shouldn't be too much trouble. Add a Speed spore for good measure and it should be easy.

Half a dozen artillas would take much more essence than a shaper would have at lvl 9. I did it with 2 fyoras to chip away at the creator, a thadh to keep the spawned worms away, War Blessing, and speed spores.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Ah, you must be right. I haven't played G3 for a long time, and haven't played a Shaper for even longer -- my most recent games have been Guardians in G1 and 2. Still, by pumping Intelligence I would think you shouldn't be too far off the six Artilas, since it won't be so long on Harmony before you're trading up to Vlish. On the other hand Artilas, though normally my favorite first tier creation, might start to run out of juice in the long Greenwood boss fight.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7317
Profile #6
Wow - thanks guys. I think I made a mistake though, I'm the female character (agent?). Is there any way to get more levels? I've combed every area for more rouges, and there are none. I like leveling up, but I don't know how other then fighting rouges.

I'll take a look at the other threads from a few months ago for more tips.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Level 10 is pretty much the maximum for the first island. If you know how to maximize your path through the island I think I got to level 11. You might want to start over after reviewing earlier threads. There was a multi-thread discussion on shaper/guardian/agent mostly between Slarty, Student of Trinity, and Delcious Vlish that is helpful.

Since there aren't new monsters being repopulated unless you haven't finished the spawners in the mines you might have some trouble. Check to see if there are any quests that can be done on the island. Go through all areas on each island and not just the path from Greenwood Academy to Fort Kentia.

Did you go back and kill all the monsters in the Testing Area? The leadership and stealth test monsters can be killed for experience if you haven't done that side. Otherwise go and fight the combat tests. You don't get experience for doing the tests over, but you do get monster kill experience.

Deactivated all the mine fields in the mined woods area? Killed the mage that set out the mines?

Killed the people hiding in the Refuge? A hard fight but they will attack you if you poke around. Also there are 3 mines to deactivate in that area.

The final battle in the Lair of the Creator isn't so hard if you daze and then kill the monsters that aren't dazed first. The spawned monsters don't give any extra experience.

[ Thursday, July 20, 2006 19:24: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #8
Well, about items and skill points, since it is possible to (editing scripts) give yourself more skillpoints, maybe you could also make a potion that'd use an ability that does that, but since that'd be more difficult and unnecessary, you can just give yourself the points and enjoy - although don't use this too much, as it can ofcourse spoil the fun - maybe it'd be useful to you, since you said you made a mistake - if you don't know how to do it and'd like to, i can tell you.

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Apprentice
Member # 7317
Profile #9
I did some searches for script editing.. but could only find what people have done, not how they did it. I took a look at the script folder, but was totally lost. I didn't know anything about the unsupported editors - it was just a lot of text.

I'm on a Mac - OS X 10.4.6 - if that matters any.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Don't worry about it. Editing scripts has its uses, but it's not really the be-all and end-all that some people make it out to be. If you find the game too difficult, try setting the difficulty lower. If that still isn't enough (or if you can't go any lower), just use one of the already created editors. It's much easier (and safer) than trying to do it yourself.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7317
Profile #11
Thanks - I have the setting at Tricky right now, and I haven't noticed that it's really really hard. I'd like to keep it that way, but I wouldn't mind giving myself some more skill points for I can play around a bit more. (Sorry, I'm a chick that can't just have the shoes, but has to have the matching belt, handbag and hat...)

(edited)
Is it possible just to change a few things? I know to back up scripts, and to be careful (famous last words...). What .txt file is used to change skill points, or you character stats?

[ Monday, July 24, 2006 18:03: Message edited by: pirhan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
You're early enough in the game to start over and just make a few changes in using skill points. It starts to get boring when you become too powerful too soon.
Apprentice
Member # 7317
Profile #13
I've already restarted my game. ;) I completely understand that, as a newbie, veterans of the game don't want me to whiz along and not enjoy the game. It's really not that - I just want to tweak on or two things and see how it is. (I play a lot of pokemon - I have all the cheats, even a monster brain - and I only use it to increase my pokemon stats - never the levels, because then it's no fun.) I honestly just want to increase one or two stats by a few points and that's it. I know absolute power corrupts absolutely and I'm a nerd, but I can't help it.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #14
hi again
well, first of all, i didn't or at least didn't intend to say that you or anyone should edit scripts, i meant it to be done on a second playthrough or so (sorry, i was writing about it at two topics and maybe something slipped by).

But if you reallyv want to, you can look at the scripts and see how it is done - every "coding" is done under the dialogue after code and before break - these two words have to be as they are - you can copy paste and then write your own codes. if it has to do with item, exp, stat, the code will have these words inside.
at addind to stat - the first number is the number of stat - from 0 - 22 for str to luck (some numbers between are not used - don't know why, so just experiment a little) and the second is the amount to change - i believe if you want to lower stats (game too easy?) you need to put a - in front (-6 or something like that).
for exp, the first number is the amount and the second the level - if yours is lower you get more and vice versa or you can write get_pc_level() or get_level_of_pc() i think, to give your self the exact amount.

if you want more info, you can ask - but please, don't abuse it, it will really, REALLY spoil the game, because if you're too weak, you won't finish due to inability and if you're too strong, you won't finish due to boredom!!!

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!