BoA Bugs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA Bugs
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
Post any bugs you know about in BoA here.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Set status switches bless/curse and shield/weaken stats when is_forced is one.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
You can't have a variable called shop or pay.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Seilike:

You can't have a variable called shop or pay.
That's not a bug. There have to be some internal variables to make the program work. The program will not let you, as the user, change a variable essential to the code. This is actually good programming.

I think we could rephrase this as follows:

Internal varables such as "shop" or "pay" should be listed in either the Documentation or Appendicies.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #4
Outdoors signs don't work.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #5
I do not understand that bug. I mean, I have no trouble reading outdoor signs. I'm running the latest BoA version on OS 10.2.8

Is it Windows only?

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Dahak:

I do not understand that bug. I mean, I have no trouble reading outdoor signs. I'm running the latest BoA version on OS 10.2.8

Is it Windows only?

Quite possibly. I don't know if it affects everyone using the Windows version, though. I know I haven't been able to read outdoor signs with the latest version on Win2k or WinXP (two completely different computers).
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I'm on Mac OS 10.1.5 running the latest version of BoA, and not only do outdoor signs not work for me, signs in towns sometimes don't work either. The same sign in the same town can work fine one time I look at it and then fail to work completely the next time.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #8
Maybe you should post the old list of bugs that have not been fixed yet; otherwise I think there will be quite a few repeats.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
If they are still broken, Jeff needs to hear about them whether he tried to fix them or not.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
If cursed items are placed on terrian/in a container in the editor, they lose their cursed ability.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #11
What do you mean by "on terrain"?

The line of sight doesn't always work both ways so monsters can attack from a spot you cannot see.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #12
It is possible to walk between screens and be warped to somewhere totally nonsensical.

In VotDT, the first time I saw this happen, I was going back up from the deepest level of the school and then changed my mind. I wanted to take out a couple more altered beasts. Pop, something weird happens, and I am suddenly stuck in the cliff near the entry fortress.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Is this still going? If so...

The call town_status always returns 0 (or possibly 1, I forget).

The infamous enter-combat-end-combat bug: you can get placed in totally nonsensical locations. If you enter and then end combat immediately, you get placed one space forward. This allows you to skip special rectangles extremely easily.

The call move_to_new_town can't be called from an INIT_STATE, a START_STATE, a creature script, or a terrain script, even if you distance the call from the state with set_state_continue, run_town_script, or run_scenario_script. This is exceedingly irritating in cut scenes.

Beam projectors malfunction wildly in close quarters, next to walls, in varying heights, etc.

I made a utility scenario to demonstrate a bunch of this, in case anyone wants to see it. I sent it to Jeff a while back, and I recently played it again with BoA v1.1.1, and sadly, it still demonstrates bugs just as effectively as it did before.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4123
Profile #14
Aww hell... I was just about to ask how I could jump between towns from a terrain script. Looks like I wrote that script for nothing. Grrrr...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
A couple more things:

When a PC is next to a spot and you look at that spot, you search the spot. As far as I can tell, if the joined NPC is next to a spot, however, you don't search the spot. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an intentional stupid thing.

As far as I can tell, if you have two dialog choices via add_dialog_choice and the party clicks on the second one, run_dialog always returns 2, whether the call used to make the second choice read add_dialog_choice(1,"Choice 2") or add_dialog_choice(2,"Choice 3"). (The latter normally returns 3 when chosen.) I just discovered this, though, so I may be mistaken.

[ Friday, January 07, 2005 23:14: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5414
Profile #16
I'm on a Windows 98 machine and outdoor signs don't work for me either. More annoying though is when I'm attacked by an enemy with a missile attack my screen sometimes freezes. Not every time but often enough to make me fear even the lowiest rock-tossing goblinoid.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #17
Hills do not work past the town boundary.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
If you mean that the terrain is all at the same level as the outside rim, then I don't think that's a bug. How would one edit the stuff outside the town? There's no data to store that.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
Actually, there is one thing I noticed which is not strictly speaking a bug as such, but rather an annoyance that you can avoid if you know about it. The floor/terrain outside the town boundaries uses the last row of squares inside the town boundaries and repeats it forever in line of sight.

This means that, when placing frills, you have to watch out that no frills are placed in the outermost rows, because the effect will be a long row of the same frill continued as far as the eye can see (looks highly artificial).

The problem is mostly with the "Place Random Frills" option, which has to be followed by a manual sweep of the outer rows. Perhaps this effect could be modified to only affect the area two squares in from the town boundary...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #20
I mean the town boundary. That little line that defines where the party leaves town.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Heights do work outside the town boundary. At least, they do for me.

[ Friday, January 21, 2005 06:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Where twilight lies upon the knees:

Actually, there is one thing I noticed which is not strictly speaking a bug as such, but rather an annoyance that you can avoid if you know about it. The floor/terrain outside the town boundaries uses the last row of squares inside the town boundaries and repeats it forever in line of sight.

This means that, when placing frills, you have to watch out that no frills are placed in the outermost rows, because the effect will be a long row of the same frill continued as far as the eye can see (looks highly artificial).

The problem is mostly with the "Place Random Frills" option, which has to be followed by a manual sweep of the outer rows. Perhaps this effect could be modified to only affect the area two squares in from the town boundary...

There is an option to correct this in the Town Details window. It is something about Town Boundary Floor or something to that effect. Set it to be just plain grass and this problem should go away.

--------------------