3D Blades of Avernum Editor 1.0 for Mac OS X released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 3D Blades of Avernum Editor 1.0 for Mac OS X released!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #0
Here it is.

Besides editing in 3D, you can:
conveniently switch views by typing tab and option-tabview it like it is in game, with lighting and line of sight included, or a more convenient 3D editing viewoption-click to center on a location (especially useful when zoomed out)change outdoor dimensionset cetera... see the readme, there are lots of improvementsThere are possibly some unresolved bugs, but I don't think they are there anymore (I never experienced them, so I can't be sure). I know porting it to the PC is greatly desired, but I have heard that there are technical difficulties. Just saying this so the thread doesn't get flooded with "pleeease make a PC version" or similar comments :P ... anyone who wants to attempt porting it is certainly welcome to do so. Also, I don't know why it doesn't work for Classic Macs but you who use one should definitely upgrade to OS X: it's a much better OS. ;)
Of course, I don't think any of the responses are likely to be particularly useful, so feel free to say what you want. :D

Happy Holidays,
Isaac

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I experience no crashes, so I think you've fixed the remaining bugs. Great program, and great job.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Where is Xcode? Do OSX users even have this by default?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
If you have 10.3, I think so. Otherwise, no. Apple's site on the subject.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
I think you might be able to open the source in Project Builder if you're running 10.2 or earlier. If you're running 10.3 but don't have Xcode installed, you can install the developer tools with
/Applications/Installers/Xcode Tools/Developer.mpkg

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #5
I found next minor bugs on "3D Blades of Avernum Editor 1.0 for Mac OS X"

Bug fix
a) handle_action() (EdFcns.c)
if(clean_up_from_scrolling())
return; // this line should be 'return are_done;'

This code is found twice in handle_action(), both should be fixed as above.
Fixed - This bug causes an occasional application quit triggered by scrolling to the other section on outdoor.
Just Dahak reported as "Scroll & Crash" in "Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!"

b) handle_ter_spot_press() (EdFcns.c)
short current_terrain_type; // this line should be deleted

This declaration shadows global variable of the same name, which is used in handle_keystroke()
Fixed - The keyboard shortcut (a-z key) for custom terrain selection set by "te_shortcut_key" works correctly.
This bug is also found in the original Jeff's code (v1.1)

Dahak,
Please check on "Scroll & Crash".
The fixed version is uploaded on
--- deleted ---
To run this version, "3D Editor Graphics" included in Isaac's original version is needed.
I'll delete this link when Isaac releases the fixed version.

As for MacOS 9 support, compiling it with CodeWarrior will give a simple solution.

[Edit] deleted the link

[ Sunday, January 02, 2005 17:00: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Project: BoA Editor Remake on SourceForge.net
supports "3D BoA Editor" (Mac and Win), and creates advanced BoA Editor.
Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #6
ahh, looks great. any chance this'll be converted to windows too in the near future?

oops, noticed the older thread. i'll take a look at there first.

[ Sunday, December 26, 2004 00:59: Message edited by: yavinrebel88 ]
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #7
I am iwthout a computer until my laptop comes back. I will download and check it out then.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #8
Notus:
I've gotten my laptop back, and the application works perfectly! Kudos.

Let us all give a big congratulations to Issac and Notus for their fine work.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #9
Dahak:
Thank you for testing the bug fixed version.
Checked all compiler warnings and detected these two bugs only.

Currently working on code reorganization and preparing for the Windows port.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Notus:

Currently working on code reorganization and preparing for the Windows port.
Great! Reorganizing the code could be a significant improvement. Hopefully you can manage the porting.

I've uploaded the fix as 1.0.1. Serves me right for ignoring the warnings just because there were too many already. Another 'bug' I happened to find was that using option-click to center on a place made the editor think it needed saving. Some code changes could fix that, but a good, comprehensive fix for that sort of thing would require significant code changes. handle_ter_spot_press() could set whether it needs saving directly, or return whether it needs saving, but that risks true modifications being missed. A better, more 'object-oriented' design would have modification methods for the terrain, etc., which would record that a modification has happened.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #11
Hi Isaac,
Please wait a little more for the reorganized code. I found priority to port your excellent work to Windows. Windows users should be able to wait no more ;)
But the actual reason is that the Windows code doesn't immerse so much in Win API than Mac code does in Carbon API. It's suitable for the common code base.

I compared your 3D editor code with Jeff's original line by line (of course using file compare utility), and extracted the modification you made. It was almost 80-90 blocks, though some blocks contain only one line and others have a several hundreds lines.
Jeff's original BoA Editor for Win had already been ported to MS VC++.NET2003.
Now I can start the actual porting work. It may take a several weeks, but programmer's estimation is always uncertain as you know.

After the windows port, I'll return to the code reorganization for both platform.

[ Friday, January 07, 2005 11:13: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #12
Notus -- I'll be glad to see the windows version when it comes out! Great work, from what I've seen and heard.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #13
New (and hopefully better) screenshots uploaded!

And good luck, Notus, in bringing this editor to the other half of our community.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #14
Thanks. The modification you made has been imported to the appropriate part on the Jeff's Windows version, including resources. Now converting Mac Carbon API to the equivalent Win API, preserving logic you made. Currently it is about 20% or so from the lines I converted to Windows. But the Graphics.cpp, the core part, remains still untouched.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #15
I hate to the bearer of bad news, but a bug has been found. I mentioned it before, but I thought (wrongly) it had been fixed. When I click on the Open, Canel, Save buttons of the outdoor windows (too vague?), I get a double (?) click. The first chooses an option, but the currently selected option is also drawn (height, terrain, floor) under the same spot that I clicked. I never noticed it 3D since it was out of bounds (and so a alert was played instead), but when I made a few tweaks in 2D, it was readily noticable. Some checking shows that it also occurs in 3D. That is what made the alert sound everytime I scrolled. I can of course save ahead of time, and so no dialog box is drawn, but I thought you should know.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #16
Ya, a little vague. Please describe as follows.

Selecting "Outdoors" menu > "Load Different outdoor section", a confirming dialog with "Open", "Cancel" and "Save" button appears. In this dialog, clicking on the one of the button, such as "Cancel" dismisses the dialog immediately and draw a terrain to the edit screen just under the button. and so on.

It isn't reproduced on my system, but I found the mouse click to dialog buttons responds on the mouse down, not the mouse up. It is bad design for a dialog response. As the dialog code is Jeff's original, this problem should be found on both platform. I'll look in to change the dialog response to the ordinary one. It'll fix your problem.

[ Wednesday, January 12, 2005 17:45: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #17
Make Change -> Scrolling to New -> Open/Cancel/Save Dialog Box -> Click Option -> Option Selected and Terrain/Floor/Height Changed Also.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #18
Thank you for the precise description. ;)
As the handling routine of the dialog button is common to every dialog, this problem may be found on another dialog.

In other applications, you'll find the dialog button respond when you release the mouse button on the same button you clicked. You can cancel mouse click to a dialog button with moving out mouse cursor from the dialog button without releasing the mouse button. It's the ordinary dialog button response.

Nowadays, we never code the dialog button handler directly, because plenty of GUI gadget is provided by the system or other framework. But in old days, the age of SE30, we sometimes made it by ourselves.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #19
Town mode, Realistic View: Corner Walls (L shaped ones) do not show as more than 1 height tall. Other walls segments show up as whatever height is defined in the town details.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #20
Dahak,
Please check "Dialog Button fix".
The fixed version is uploaded on
--- deleted ---

This file only includes the application itself and modified sources.
To run this version, "3D Editor Graphics" included in Isaac's original version is needed.
I'll delete this link when Isaac releases the fixed version.

------ note -------
3DBoAEditor_v1.0.2b1
changed mouse click behavior on dialog buttons to prevent accidental click on the editor screen when the dialog is dismissed.

Modified
dlogtool.cpp: cd_process_click(), cd_process_keystroke(), cd_press_button()
global.h: prototype of cd_press_button()

Added
dlogtool.cpp: cd_process_mousetrack()
-------------------

As for the "Town: Corner Wall display" problem, can you email a simple example to me?
My address is notosaurai_AT_yahoo.co.jp
Please replace _AT_ to @

[ Monday, January 17, 2005 00:51: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #21
Now the problem is worse. The same problem still exists, but when I release the mouse button, the editor thinks I'm still holding it down. It wasn't a stuck mouse either.

Edit:
E-mail away.

[ Saturday, January 15, 2005 00:12: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #22
Umm.. Isn't it mouse hardware trouble? I remember you are using a note. Dust may be filled the gap between mouse button and the body. I checked the revised version on a Powerbook also, it worked as I intended. If you have an external mouse, or you can borrow it from your friend, please check it connecting another mouse.

"Town: Corner Wall display in realistic mode" problem
Thank you for your example. I realized it exactly. Silly me, I tried it on surface. I'll look in it this weekend.

[Edit] This problem appears both in dungeon and surface.

[ Sunday, January 16, 2005 07:16: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #23
Edit:

Never mind. Found problem.

[ Saturday, January 15, 2005 08:53: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #24
Dahak,
Please check "Town: Corner Wall display in realistic mode" fix.
The fixed version is uploaded on --deleted because of another bug.
As usual, this file only includes the application itself and modified sources (both in v1.0.2b1 and b2). To run this version, "3D Editor Graphics" included in Isaac's original version is needed. I'll delete this link when Isaac releases the fixed version.

This problem was twofold.
a) A routine that handles cutaway (Graphics.cpp: draw_terrain_3D) sets height to 1 on both walls of L-angle shape.
b) A bug was found in Terrain #6 (NW angle wall) definition, on corescendata2.txt
But why BoA can display NW and SW wall correctly? Maybe it is fixed in the application.

------ note -------
3DBoAEditor_v1.0.2b2
Fixed "Town: Corner Wall display in realistic mode" problem
L-shape walls, NW, SW and NE (terrain number, 6, 7, 9, 42, 43, 45), weren't drawn correctly in the realistic mode. Their height of both wall were always 1 when one of a wall was cut away. Fixed this problem.

Modified
Graphics.cpp; draw_terrain_3D()

corescendata2.txt
begindefineterrain 6; // nw wall
te_which_icon = 5;
te_ed_which_icon = 4;
te_cutaway_which_sheet = -1;
te_full_move_block = 0;
te_full_look_block = 0;
te_blocks_view_e = 0; <-- add this line
te_move_block_n = 1;
te_look_block_n = 1;
te_blocks_view_n = 1;
te_move_block_w = 1;
te_look_block_w = 1;
te_blocks_view_w = 1;
-------------------

[Edit] typo

[ Thursday, January 20, 2005 13:15: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------

Pages