Response to Community Suggestion List

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Response to Community Suggestion List
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
I've finally gotten through the whole community suggestions list. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and a lot of things I needed to know. Thank you for all of the work that went into it.

I'm about to leave on a vacation. (Don't ask how long it's been since the last one.) When I get back, I will go through the bugs section again and come up with new versions of Windows and Mac BoA. Some of those bugs are new to me and some have been fixed (like the forcecage in town mode problem) but haven't been made public yet.

As for a new scenario format, right now my plate is very full. I need to finish the Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4 engines and get them to my two employees, who are in urgent need of stuff to do. I need to keep working with my editor on the book I have coming out this spring. And, of course, vacation. But I will look at the new features, work out who long it would take to code and test them, and see what I can do about them.

Thanks again for all of the work. I'll start translating it into reality soon.

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

[ Monday, September 27, 2004 09:29: Message edited by: Spidweb ]
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
We are poking around at two new products now. One will be Geneforge 3, which we've already started coding. The other, we don't want to say much about yet.
quote:
I need to finish the Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4 engines and get them to my two employees
:P

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I'm about to leave on a vacation. (Don't ask how long it's been since the last one.)
Hope you have a nice vacation! Do lots and lots of absolutely nothing! I can't even imagine how exahausted you must be after creating and endlessly tinkering with BoA.

quote:
I need to keep working with my editor on the book I have coming out this spring.
That sounds interesting — could we be given any more details? Is it fiction, or maybe a programming manual?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
The book is the story of the baby.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #4
quote:

I need to finish the Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4 engines

quote:

and Avernum 4 engines

quote:

Avernum 4 engines

quote:

Avernum 4

There is no God.
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #5
[ Thursday, September 30, 2004 07:11: Message edited by: Lutra Lutra ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
These suggestions- especially the top priorities- are truly desired by the designing community. Remember, the two hours it takes you for each feature will really improve the scenarios that get put out.

If nothing, you can give "work experience" to some desperate, voluptuous programming intern at the price of oval office encounters. (Preferably not in the presence of Hillary Kriszan... ;) )

[ Monday, September 27, 2004 12:09: Message edited by: Corrigere ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Jeff, I (and I'm sure every other BoA player and designer feels the same way) am happy to hear that you will look at our list of bugs and consider our suggestions. The promise of a new version to fix these bugs gives me a great deal of hope for BoA's future. I look forward to seeing what you will do.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #8
Your wrong. I'm a BoA player/designer. I'm not happy to hear this.

I'm astounded. I'm amazed. I'm in awe.

It's beyond happy ;)
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #9
Well, those feelings would have some sort of basis if these promises weren't very old and still unfufilled.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
When I saw this topic dredged back up, I thought Jeff gave us another announcement. Oh well. I wonder if Jeff is ever going to do these things. Some of those calls are incredibly useful, but he might be too lazy to do anything except correct his own mistakes.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5415
Profile #11
You know, I really think the tone of a lot of these posts is very unhelpful. Jeff is not "lazy" if he doesn't get around to doing these things, he's just concentrating on the projects most likely to support his business and family. I mean, am I allowed to call you lazy if you don't drop everything and come spend a week building me a log cabin?

The antaganism I see here over and over isn't going to accomplish anything. Jeff's not going to do what you want just because you insult him or claim that it'd be easy or important or whatever for him to do something. He's far more likely to be helpful if you treat him with respect and try to understand his situation. Childish namecalling and stomping of feet is far more likely to just put anything you say down on the lowest rung of the priority list.
Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #12
calling names and such is useless, you got that right. but we are the ones who buy his projects and keep him on the business (and alive :-p), so basically wouldn't it be best for him to keep us quite satisfied?

i'm a new member, have no idea how to create scenarios and bla bla, but i've been reading the past threads. those capable of designing adventures for me to play need jeff to fix stuff, so of course i want him to fix stuff up, too. why? because the things the designers want jeff to fix or add would allow them to create a greater variety of cool scripts and other scenario stuff, and that would of course be a good thing for us only interested in playing scenarios, too.

now, i'm not saying he should focus on fixing these bugs only and drop the future projects. that would be foolish.

if he just could take a few hours a few days of the week and instead of coding other projects, keep the current clients satisfied, hey, that would be the best for everybody.

i'm not very good at expressing myself verbally, but i hope you understand what i mean. :-)

[ Wednesday, February 09, 2005 11:49: Message edited by: kendl ]
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #13
Good customer service is good policy. Nothing complicated about that.

DreamGuy, I see you've got pretty strong opinions. That's fine. But, by the same token, if you want us to change in any way, don't you think you should treat us with respect instead of calling us childish foot-stompers?

[ Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:03: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
I'd also add that most of us are much more polite to Jeff in person than we are on these forums (note that as far as any of us can tell, he hasn't read these forums in months). Some people do feel a need to publicly express their disappointment, though. So far BoA's support has at least been better than BoE's, but that's not saying much.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
I do think this is kind of sad, though: several months ago, I made a scenario to demonstrate bugs that I had discovered in BoA. I tested it with v1.1 (or possibly v1.0, don't remember) of BoA, and everything checked out: all things malfunctioned just as I described in the in-game pop-up menus and in the in-script commentary. I sent this scenario to Jeff with a list of bugs. He then released v1.1.1 some time after that. I tested this scenario recently with v1.1.1, and everything still malfunctions just as before.

I admit that the bugs that I found were minor, but I followed all possible proper procedure, and he ignored them on the subsequent patch.

I also find it a bit annoying that he didn't tell us which bugs he thought he fixed for v1.1.1 that we reported from v1.1.0. Now we have to go back and check everything.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #16
When he's doing this all in his free time for fun and letting everyone look at it for free, and then doesn't fix problems, it's because he's busy. When we pay for it and he doesn't fix things, it's because he's lazy, and it's bad for buisness, too.

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #17
Argh, this IS an old topic isnt it. Stupid forum glitch reported it as being a week old. Hmph.

Either way......if Jeff won't/cant fix the problem, why cant we? Surely someone who plays this game has the technical know-how.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
For us to fix the bugs in BoA, BoA would need to be open source. It isn't; only the editor is. All the pens in the world won't help you if the paper you're writing on is full of holes.

[ Thursday, February 10, 2005 18:59: Message edited by: Sagieuleaux ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
Jeff really needs a part time worker that fixes minor bugs and adds support to the games.

[ Friday, February 11, 2005 16:58: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.