Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #125
quote:
Originally written by Calm Ichneumon:

That's a lot of links. You a Wikipedia editor or something?
No, although I've browsed it a lot lately. It has lots of interesting information. I put the links in like that because:
I felt like I was giving up and wanted to make up for it by mentioning many of the good websites/games I've foundI didn't want to them to be a list (don't know why not, though :P )All the links are at least somewhat related to the word they're found onSome of them might help other programmers@Arenax: I'll email you.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #126
Hello Isaac,

Thank you for the excellent tool.
I think I could figure out the cause of the trouble on the 3D BoA Editor v0.12b2, that Dahak and Kelandon pointed out.

On the event handler, Handle_One_Event() (Bl A Editor.cpp), the flag "mouse_button_held" is raised by Mouse_Pressed() when the town mode is on. This makes handle_action() activate within the same click.
Moreover, as the "event" is a global variable, "event.where" is converted by GlobalToLocal() twice. That is the reason the second drawing falls on another position.
The bug fix is as follows. Simply return to the original on this part.

void Handle_One_Event()
{
WaitNextEvent(everyEvent, &event, SLEEP_TICKS, MOUSE_REGION);

if ((mouse_button_held == TRUE) && (event.what != 23) && (FrontWindow() == mainPtr)) {
GlobalToLocal(&event.where);
handle_action(event.where,event);
}

switch (event.what)
{
case keyDown: case autoKey:
I respect you so much as you could decipher this spaghetti code. I always suffered headache during tracking this code with debugger. If JV could practice on coding technique a little more, his productivity would remarkably increase because he could do without spending so much time on bug fix. And we can play many more splendid games :)

[EDIT] Sorry, mistook v0.12b2 as v0.12b1

[ Tuesday, December 14, 2004 21:49: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Project: BoA Editor Remake on SourceForge.net
supports "3D BoA Editor" (Mac and Win), and creates advanced BoA Editor.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #127
As JV says himself, this code is ten years of kludge.

Oh, wait--so is Avernum! :D
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #128
Huh, only ten years! I have programming experience of almost thirty years.
Anyway, the length of the experience is not a matter. Even if it is only one year, you can write it in better programming style.

a) Overuse of global variables
Most of them should be handled by subroutine parameters

b) Copy-Paste programming style
Make it a subroutine.

c) Improper subroutine size
His subroutine size is too large or too small. Large one should be divided to several subroutines. And many similar small subroutines should be combined using a parameter.

d) Magic numbers
Which one is comprehensive, "event.what != 23" and "event.what != kHighLevelEvent"

e) Ignoring compiler warning
Next warnings suggests potential bugs.

'yyy' might be used uninitialized in this function (occurrence 14)
assignment of negative value '-1' to 'unsigned char' (6)
comparison is always true (or false) (10)
too many arguments for format (1)
return-statement with no value (2)

[EDIT] typo

[ Wednesday, December 15, 2004 06:50: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #129
First of all, sorry for double post.

I sent a message to Isaac, but he seems not to be aware of it. I know it's better for him to finalize it by himself, but old man is impatient. ;)

Dahak and Kelandon,
May I ask you to check the bug fix is effective or not on your system?
I checked it on my system, but I want to know it is good on other's.
I uploaded the modified file on the next URL.

---- deleted -----

This image file contains next two files
- 3D Blades of Avernum Editor v0.12b3 - modified editor execute file
- Bl A Editor.cpp - modified code

The modification is only the part I mentioned on my previous post.
This image file doesn't contain any other file that is necessary to run the 3D BoA editor, such as "3D Editor Graphics". So Isaac's original set, "3D Blades of Avernum Editor v0.12b2 for Mac" is needed to run it.

I'll delete this link when Isaac releases the fixed version. - deleted

[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 12:01: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #130
Yup, that seemed to do the trick. Isaac has somewhat withdrawn from the community, so I wouldn't expect him to respond in less time than, say, a week, but I tried your version of the app and it seemed to fix the problem.

I think it's about time for Isaac to take the label "beta" off this thing and release it as a v1.0, especially if he's not going to do more updates.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #131
Thank you Kelandon,
The bug is caused because Isaac accidentally reversed the order of the event handler. What I've done is finding out this and recovering it to the Jeff's original on that part. Isaac might have some reason to do this and I want to know it. I'll wait him patiently.

If I could help him before he lost his interest on this excellent tool. I know a bug that cannot be fixed makes us exhaust so much. I hope this fix may make him recover his interest.

Until he responds, I'll look in the potential bugs that the compiler warning suggests. It'll take fair amount of time to fix them because it needs fully understanding Jeff's code. :(

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #132
Kudos Notus. The problem has ceased to be. However, if you would be so kind, could you please find that scroll/crash error I've mentioned previously?

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #133
Hi Dahak,
Thank you for testing the extra-terrain fixed version.
Unfortunately the scroll / crash error is not reproduced on my system. I think it may relate to the potential bugs that the compiler warnings suggest, because the reproduction is unstable.
Anyway, I’m now working to fix that potential bugs. After finishing it, I’ll ask you to check the scroll / crash error is fixed or not. It may take a several weeks because I can work on this program only on weekend.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #134
No rush.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #135
Luckily it works for me too.

Ok, I know that was weird code. I changed it to stop it from, whenever I clicked, generating two clicks, which made the centering thing pretty useless. Also I only changed the code in Handle_One_Event in 0.12b2, so I have no idea what was causing problems before that. I'm having trouble figuring out why it works for everyone now. Oh well... I'll see if I can put together a version 1.0 tomorrow.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #136
Is anyone working on a windows version of this editor?
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #137
Hi Isaac,
I'm glad I can help you. I know this kind of bug is the most difficult one to find out by oneself, because one who made the change has no suspicion on that change. Most of bugs we are stuck have this character.

If you'll continue to develop the code, I can help you hereafter. But if you want to take a rest, I'll wait for you until you recover. I'll reorganize the code totally, but it takes...a several months. It may be easy to write it from scratch if we know the feature clearly, but the feature is the code itself.

Anyway, congratulation for ver1.0 !!

Hi Infineon,
The port to the Windows is almost impossible until the source is reorganized. In this code, Mac Carbon API is scattered here and there. Simple replacement to the equivalent Win API doesn't work. Jeff could do it because he knows the feature perfectly(?). One possible way is to extract the change Isaac made and apply it to the Windows version Jeff made. It is still hard work too.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #138
Wait, let me get this straight - the only change you made was to revert that file, Bl A Editor.cpp? Then you built in Xcode following my instructions?

Assuming that, I compiled a version with optimization turned on. It works for me. I'll upload it... this afternoon. I have to go to school now.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #139
Yes, in the uploaded version, only "Bl A Editor.cpp" is changed. Any other file and compiler switch is not touched.
My environment is Xcode 1.5 and November2004GCCUpdater on MacOS X 10.3.6.

[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 08:59: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #140
Hmm. Seems like your system is a bit more up to date than mine, although I have Xcode 1.5 too. Anyway, my compile of (hopefully) version 1.0 is uploaded (the connection kept breaking :mad: ). Tell me if it fails for you... I only know that it works for me, which means I *really* don't know what's going on, since I thought it wouldn't work that way.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #141
Congratulation again!! Perfectly works.

--------------------

Pages