Using Equippable Items

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Using Equippable Items
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #0
From the BoA Editor Help 1 file:
“Active Abilities - These are effects that happen when the item is used. An item can only be used when it is in the character’s pack. No item that can be equipped can have active abilities. Some active abilities are spells or require targeting a foe. An item can only have one such ability. If it has more than one, only the last one will take effect.”

Apparently items can be used even if they are equippable, like armor and weapons. In BoA Editor Help parlance they can have active abilities. They just can’t be used while they are equipped. Weapons with such abilities can only be used in combat. Of course, when they can be used, this can only happen when they are in a PC’s backpack.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #1
Yep. I believe the problem arises when you try to mix active with passive-- but I could be wrong. Haven't messed with it much.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #2
From what I can see, there is an exclusive choice of passive or active. If you choose both, one is suppressed.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, isn't there a ring that casts Bolt Of Fire in a BoA scenario?? You obviously can't cast it whilst it's on, but if you unequip it you can.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - pretty, pretty?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #4
Yes. Ring of Blaze or Blaze Ring. You get it APF for a ruby. It casts a level 50 Fire-bolt once per day (I think) and can be equipped.

It can't be used while equipped but can when its lying in your pack.

Seems kinda ilogical..

--------------------
Just to annoy Alo...
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #5
Currently it is impossible to use any equipped item because there is no provision for this in the "portrait with equipped items" part of the Inventory screen. You would need to re - design the screen to provide for Use Item buttons to appear when an item can be used. They could appear in a row at the top of the portrait or along the sides.

Then again you could have a third screen for this purpose, it would look much like the carried items part of the Inventory screen.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
That'd work best for weapons, instead of those items classified as armor (which to my knowledge, includes jewelry), since you can't un-equip armor in battle.

I don't think the game windows need fundamental changes for something that really isn't that major of an issue.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Dikiyoba thinks the only piece of equipment you can't unequip in battle is actual armor. Boots, jewelry, shields, etc. can be removed in combat.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #8
I'm fairly sure you're right. But unfortunately this doesn't have a lot of use, because you can't give the items passive enchantments. I suppose you could give a sword high damage and the ability to cast lightning spray or something, or make a staff that casts spells and also you can beat people with, but in most cases you'd have regular enchanted gear that is better than un-enchanted active-abil gear. So wearing active-ability gear wouldn't make much sense in most cases.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?