Why did the Avernites not teleport outoff Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Why did the Avernites not teleport outoff Avernum?
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #0
As I recall it. In Avernum 1 you were teleported to the surface to assasinate and kill the emporer. So here is my question. Why did the Avernites not teleport to the surface afterwards?

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Because the Empire still ruled the surface. If they teleported up, they'd simply be hunted down and killed.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #2
Good point. But they could always have tried to find a remote location.

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
It seems to take a great deal of effort to teleport such a long distance. Ittook 6 brooches just to teleport the four adventurers, so it seems doubtful that the Avernites have the means to teleport a whole nation to the surface.

And, as Nioca pointed out, once they're there they'd just be hunted down again. The fact that the Empire went to the trouble of creating the portal to exile people down to Avernum suggests that there wasn't any suitable place to stick them on the surface, so the 'remote location' you speak of probably doesn't exist.

And the number one reason why the Avernites don't teleport to the surface: Because then we wouldn't have a game!

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #4
If I remember the storyline correctly, a good number of Avernites left the caves after A3, since it was now safe to return to the surface.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
Five brooches.

And about half the population of Exile went aboveground, according to A4.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
It only took four brooches to teleport up. Teleporting well takes all five.

—Alorael, who suspects that teleporting at all is prohibitively difficult and that establishing a permanent portal is even harder. And it's quite possible that the Empire has some way of watching for teleportation to the surface. Fort Emergence requires the creation of the Portal Fort with its teleporter to just below the surface, but actual access to sunlight is a good old hole in the ground. Or ceiling, depending on perspective.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
As far as the "hunted down" part goes, Avernum almost lost the war even with the Avernites united and the difficulty the Empire had teleporting supplies and soldiers down and the inexperience the Empire had in fighting in caves. If half the Avernites went above ground and the other half stayed, both groups would have been crushed. If all the Avernites had gone above ground, then the Empire had plenty of experience fighting on the surface and would have had less difficulty with supplies and soldiers (even if it was in a remote location) and so they still would have been defeated.

But the difficulty of teleporting is probably the bigger factor.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded