Avernum 1

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 1
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #0
If anyone has any little marganys of advice for the King of Noobs in A1 i would please like to hear it thank you.

[If you are considering insulting me for some crazed reason try to refrain and act like a civilized person instead of a imature jerk (i have had plents of bad experiances) thank you so much]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Play it, figure out what works for you, and ask any specific questions you might have.

—Alorael, who has absolutely no idea what marganys means. It looks like a misspelled word, but he can't come close to determining what it's supposed to be.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Except for advice on specific parts of the game like locating items, there is no right answer for creating a party and playing.

Do try to use proper spelling since you will get picked on about it.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
The game includes quite a tips in the 'instant help'. Read them the first time, then switch off the instant help forever.

This should cover the basics like equipping weapons and armor and how to fight. In Avernum learning to fight is the most important thing to understand. The only danger you are in is getting killed by a lot of wandering monsters, there is little else you can do wrong, at least not early on.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #4
margany is not english and it menas microscopic
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #5
I'm in Fort Avernum and do not plan to go to Fort Duvno until after Silvar so therefore I don't have lockpicks. Why I mention this is because I need to find a way to switch characters around for bashing doors. Why I ask is i'm tired of loaading every time my first character dies. :confused: :confused:
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #6
Does Your personal opinions, such as the Chasm Prison, really affect what people think ofyou like in the Geneforges.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
No.

There is a Reputation stat, but more is better (as opposed to having to choose between pleasing different factions). You get more reputation mainly from completing quests and helping people.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Faldnag:

quote:
Why I mention this is because I need to find a way to switch characters around for bashing doors.
I think that the strongest character always attempts to bash down the doors and so will always take damage. I've never found bashing to be effective, personally. A lot of the storerooms in Fort Avernum probably can't be opened for a while, anyway. Make a note of the doors you can't open so you can come back later when you're more experienced and move on.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Bashing is pretty worthless. Youl'l need lockpicks or a mage who can cast Unlock. The latter will be useful countless times.

—Alorael, who could find only one plausible "margany" on Google, and it's apparently a dying indigenous Australian language. Um?
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #10
I'll give you a hint it's middle-eastern
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #11
Arabic?

Oh, Faldnag, its against the code of conduct to double post, let alone triple post.

--------------------
WWJD?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
Marghani gives 2300 Google results, of which I'd say 3/4 are related to the Middle East. However, it seems to be only used as a name for people or places, and doesn't have a Wikipedia page. I'd say it's a name of an old historical figure.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #13
no not Arabic and it means microscopic
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
It shouldn't be an adjective, because you can't do that in English. You can't "have a microscopic of advice" in English.

Turkish? Persian? Kurdish? I am out of my element here, other than naming all the Middle Eastern languages I can think of.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #15
it's kinda rough translation but another hint it's very old
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Hebrew? It's definitely not microscopic in Hebrew, though. Actually, I'd be unsurprised if most Middle Eastern languages used loanwords from Latin roots for microscopic.

—Alorael, who gives up. Nobody can figure out even what language the word is from and it's obviously either exceptionally uncommon or not the standard Romanization.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #17
First, I don't give a (censored) about word origins.

Second, let's get back on topic. That said,
quote:
Originally written by Faldnag:

Why I mention this is because I need to find a way to switch characters around for bashing doors. Why I ask is i'm tired of loaading every time my first character dies. :confused: :confused:
Forget bashing doors altogether, it's normally not worth the time or effort. I've long since learned from the Exile trilogy not to bother with it.

Since it seems like you've barely started, your PCs aren't nearly strong enough to do much of it anyway. Here's what you should do instead:
1) Leave Fort Avernum.
2) Kill wandering monsters, and take their stuff (and gain some XP too! :) ).
3) Sell the stuff you picked up from the dead monsters.
4) Repeat 2 & 3 until you have about 500-1000 gold.
5) Go north to Formello and buy Unlock Doors at level 2 from a mage in the library.

Now you can open most locked doors.

Also, Dikiyoba - You're right, the strongest character always attempts to bash the door down.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #18
I don't know why i haven't said yjis earlier but a dragged my ass to Duvno and got some lock picks they'll probably work well enough 'till i get to Formello
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
Going north to Formello runs the risk of being chased by large bandit groups before you are ready.
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #20
It's not the Bandits it's hust I have OCD so I have to do everything in a apecific pattern.

In other news since i have superior battle strategies i explored ALL :D of the Bat Cave (immediatly) but i can't figuire out how to read the Divine Fire lv 3

Possibilities
Need higher then 30 runereading(i already had it from the lv 3 Smite)
Need lv 1 Divine Fire
Any other thoeries or proven answers please respond
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
You need to have a spell at level 1 or 2 before you can boost it to 3.

—Alorael, who thinks you've probably got plenty of Rune Reading for now. In fact, for most of the game you won't need much.
Apprentice
Member # 8699
Profile #22
What is the fastest way to kill time so I can get into the Ancient Crypt.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
Rest?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
Just explore since you want to be powerful when you go in to it.

Buy a boat and explore the islands and along the shore. You can get some experience and have a quick retreat when you have trouble.

Pages