Av2 Help! - Char reduced to 1AP - Why?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Av2 Help! - Char reduced to 1AP - Why?
Apprentice
Member # 8057
Profile #0
If anyone can help - v. much enjoying the demo of Avernum II - have mostly finished Chapter I after finally figuring out the Undead Chapel quest - My lead character's AP in combat has suddenly been reduced to 1 and I can't figure out why. Character Editor programme doesn't show any cursed items, and I've tried unequipping all his arms and armour. There is a very faintly drawn grey symbol next to the character name where effects are shown and I am assuming that this indicates I've been cursed or something. Am not entirely sure when this happened - recently completed quests also include rescuing the spiders' eggs. Thanks
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
Spiders? Faint gray symbol? Sounds like you are webbed. To take it off, hit the 'Wait a Turn' button a few times. Unless in you're in combat, in which case you hit the 'Defend' button a few rounds until it goes away.

Addendum: In future, avoid walking through the webs.

[ Sunday, February 11, 2007 00:07: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
There's no need to avoid walking through webs entirely, but there are a few tricks. As you've noticed, getting webbed makes you slow. Getting very webbed makes you very slow. Avoid webs in combat and walk through them when you can afford to wait a few rounds. Also, when you're in non-combat mode you can look (L) at adjacent webs to clear them.

—Alorael, who finds it very appropriate that the most irritating status change is the one that GIFTS (Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders) can cause.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8057
Profile #3
Thanks - it was webs... don't know why I couldn't figure it out - now I'll have to hold you responsible for my putting off all the work I was going to do this evening and playing Chapter 2 instead.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Before you go over the first falls, be sure to do all the encounters with monsters that you can and train your party. It will be a long time before you have another chance. It will also help to have several saved versions since you may want to go back and redo areas. You will find that you don't need to take that much with you beyond arrows and potions.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
Also, if you're playing a party that consists of less than 4 members, consider recruiting Becca in Formello. She can provide some back-up in case you need it.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #6
Becca's pretty powerful, if I recall correctly, so if you are playing with four PCs already, you can ditch a weaker one (if one exists) in favour of Becca. Mostly a matter of personal preference.

--------------------
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.
- Vaarsuvius (OotS #92)
Apprentice
Member # 8057
Profile #7
Yes, I'd ditched the weakest party member for Becca, altho have grown to resent her somewhat for being so much more powerful than my own characters...
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
You're making that sound like it's a bad thing, but it isn't. Really. Just do a lot of combat with her doing most of the dirty work, and your other characters will get stronger soon enough.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #9
In any case you can pick Wendy up when you have got through the Dark Waters and soon after that Assotho. They will take Becca down a peg or two. Since she is an Elite Warrior she does not advance as quickly as the others; after picking up Assotho in one game my characters had the following levels:
Becca: 17Wendy: 21Asotho: 20Madeye (my original priest/mage): 18

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Apprentice
Member # 8093
Profile #10
Nice group. Kept my Human "Elite Warrior" Fighter and Human Cleric along with Becca and Wendy. Becca put my Slith's Tool Use and Pole Weapons to shame, and her special skills sold me. Wendy came with Dispel Barrier and Beast Ceremony before my other mage could get those. That was all I needed to see, not to mention the wonderful Level 3's she had, and how simple it was to get those she didn't.

Around when i could have gotten Asotho...

Maxwell (fighter): 18
Becca: 17
Steph (cleric): 16
Wendy: 20 (Mages always get more XP...Most be all those Bolts of Fire.)

[ Wednesday, February 14, 2007 22:05: Message edited by: Aurabolt ]

--------------------
"Hi, I'm Spider!"- The funniest, most insane part of all Avernum/Exile. Kudos to Vogel.

RIP Mortax. I will always remember you.

Always looking for a scenario to take a look at. A pretty good player who is looking to become a game reviewer. More than happy to help out designers with some player reaction, if they want it.