How do I get to the Abyss in A2?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How do I get to the Abyss in A2?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #0
How do I get to the Abyss and other places in Avernum2?
My brother said it was possible because he remembered being in that part. Does anyone know how? :confused: :confused:

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You reach most of A2 by walking. The Abyss is largely unreachable thanks to the Empire's invasion, but you can visit a few places. I can't remember any special trick to reaching them other than dodging road blocks.

—Alorael, who vaguely recalls having to reach Harston, the only accessible town in the Abyss, by a circuitous route to avoid the Empire's instant death areas.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #2
I meant get to the OTHER part of the Abyss.
And what I mean by other places is other places of the Empire region (and I have beaten that game)

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
There's no special trick for getting into the Abyss. If you've completed all three major quests, you've probably seen all of the Abyss you can see. Everything else is blocked off by Empire soldiers.

Dikiyoba doesn't remember having any problems visiting Harston, though. Dikiyoba remembers one guardpost (or maybe two) to hack through/fly over/present a pass at, but nothing more.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
But then why is all that automap of Abyss, from far sight, availible?
That doesn't make any sense.
And if someone could somehow cheat their way into the Abyss or other Empire place, tell me if it is a trick or place please.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

But then why is all that automap of Abyss, from far sight, availible?
That doesn't make any sense.

Because the map was imported from Avernum 1. There's nothing in there.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
There is something there in the Abyss. Lots of death dealing Empire troops making sure that there isn't anything else. That's why except for select areas you get those automatic killed messages.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #7
You can reach various parts of the Abyss by boat. You can't reach Spire, though you can reach Pyrog's Lair, Harston, and the area around Baghra (though not the town itself; however, it's a good idea to have both blue and gray Empire passes). Erika's Tower is accessed only from the teleporter in the Tower of Magi. You can find an entrance to the Scree Pits by going north of Fort Emerald to where the Slith Fort was in A1, and heading west, and have your red Empire pass handy.

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 18:47: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
If you cheat your way into the Abyss, you find a lot of empty space and the occasional instant death script on the edges. Nothing exciting there.

—Alorael, who isn't sure whether he felt let down by the absence of the Abyss or not. The setup makes sense, but missing out on part of Avernum is no fun. And then A4 really fails to explain the occupation?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
quote:

The setup makes sense, but missing out on part of Avernum is no fun. And then A4 really fails to explain the occupation?
My best guess is that the Empire was planning to use the Abyss as a staging area to prepare a massive invasion of Avernum.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.