need advice for Avernum 1

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: need advice for Avernum 1
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #0
I managed to finish off the Nepharim fort without getting the demonslayer pommel. Now, when I go back, I can't search the sarcophagus to get it. Is there any other way in? Can I kill off Haakai without it?

Thanks! :confused:
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
You don't need demonslayer to fight haakai, it merely does a little extra damage.

Are you sure you're looking in the correct Nepharim fort? The demonslayer pommel is in the one by the lake, west of Fort Duvno.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Demonslayer does extra damage versus demons, but there are plenty of other nice weapons. Especially since in Avernum 1 it is two-handed. The only place it is really worth it is the big fight with Grah-Hoth.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
Personally, I don't bother using Demonslayer against anything; I just find it, repair it, and sell it.

Thanks to all my characters being priests (slightly unrelated note: they're also all mages), I prefer to use Repel Spirit at level 3.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
I like to have a couple of fighters for carrying all that heavy loot and dealing with mung demons and other spell energy drainers.
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #5
Thanks, guys. I got past Haakai easily but am having more trouble with Grah-Hoth (sp?). I lose too many spell points getting to him. Any suggestions for that one?

Clemmie
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
Get some Energy potions and elixirs, as well as some Potions of Clarity. A few speed potions per PC wouldn't hurt, either. I also recommend anything that can do extra damage to demons.
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I like to have a couple of fighters for carrying all that heavy loot and dealing with mung demons and other spell energy drainers.
By the time I face them, my combination archmage/high priest PCs also have quite a bit of strength to bring everything home, too; in fact, I pretty much work on all three of these at once. It's a very expensive route, I know, but rewarding when your PCs can literally carry their own weight--and sell it for twice the price (I load up on Barter too).

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
It's a lot easier if you can get the skill points to give your fighter one level of mage/priest spells. Then, the mung demons will try to dumfound the fighter, rendering them ineffective.

Basically, haste and bless your fighter as much as possible, hand them Demonslayer, haste your priest to allow for healing and demon-smiting in the same round, and Slow the other demons (if it's possible... I can't remember). After a handful of reloads, I got this to work in A1.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #8
Useable items are your friends.
Heroic brews can do wonders to influence battles, when used properly.
If used in conjunction with potions of protection, energy elixirs, and certain scrolls, you can effectively take out any size force with a suitably trained party.

There is a trick technique involving line-of-sight that you may also be able to use.
This involves getting your party along a wall near a corner, so that you can't see the enemy that you expect to be there, and they can't see you.
Casting spells like Beast Ceremony, Battle Frenzy (bless), Haste L3, Arcane Shield, Divine Warrior, etc, becomes a breeze, as your enemy does not know you are there.
Once you finish your casting, go into combat (if you haven't done so already) and wait a full round (that's wait, not parry) before rushing the enemy.
In my experience, even Grah-Hoth and his minions can't respond fast enough to that.

Yes, you will lose a lot of MP, so keep those potions handy and those casters going.
Your priest with Dispel Spirit L3 is indespensable in keeping the lesser demons away from your melee fighters. Worst comes to worst, lightning is an effective demonic deterrent.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has gone off to admire the snow.
Finally, some peace and quiet.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
What's this? You don't want Demonslayer?!? Look, you can defeat demons without it, but you really should get it anyway, otherwise you're missing out on an important Avernum tradition.

The pommel is not in the Nephilim Fortress, but the 'Underground Fort,' which is indeed West of Fort Duvno. It's full of nepharim, not nephilim. Far Northwest corner of the fort, search the sarcophagus.

Do it! Otherwise, how are future adventurers supposed to have access this most famous of blades?

[ Tuesday, February 06, 2007 17:40: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
I found that if you prepare all your characters with spells before the big battle it helps. Divine Warrior and level 3 haste are a must. Since you know where it is you know when to get ready.

When actually attacking send your fighters after the mung demons and have you spell casters hang back and deal with all those others in the south part of the room. Level 3 repel spirit or ice lances spells work great and by the second round they are all dead along the walls. Then the spellcasters can move forward and help finish off the mung demons before going after the main event, Grah-Hoth.
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #11
Thanks again. I had accidentally found out that, if I killed off Grah-Hoth first, then the others would evaporate. I'm going to go back for Demonslayer, but, right now, I am stuck in the maze thing in the Final Gauntlet. I've tried several times to drink the floating water but can't get back to the bridge before it wears off, even with several Hastes, so I am engaged in the tedious task of turning the wheels in different orders to see if that will work. This is boring! :rolleyes: Clem
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
If you'd like a diagram of how this is supposed to work, you can look here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #13
Emperor Tullegolar: I went to the Underground fort, but, when I hit "l" it says there's nothing there but the sarcophagus. I think that I can't get close enough to search it because of the three basalt things that i can't pass. Is there any other way to get to it?

Clemmie
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
You do know that you can move both diagonally and straight, right? Make use of the mouse or the keypad or something else in order to move in directions that currently seem inaccessible.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #15
Thanks, Kelandon. I did a search to find out how this works. Do you know? I went to the fort, and, in total frustration, managed to hit the number(s) that let me through, but then, in even more frustration, couldn't get out. Sigh. Clemmie
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #16
PS Kelandon, I have a Mac. I found some advice for Windows, but it doesn't work for me. Sorry! C
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
If you're using a computer that has a mouse, you can click with the mouse.

If you're using a computer with a full keyboard, you can use the keypad (the number keys on the far right).

If you're using something that doesn't have either, then you have to do something a little more complicated, and I'm not sure how it's done.

By the way, if you need to add small amounts of additional information to a post, use the "Edit" button instead of posting twice in a row.

[ Wednesday, February 07, 2007 13:42: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
What Mac doesn't have a mouse? In any case, you can hit numlock and use the I key and the eight surrounding keys as a keypad equivalent so that 8 is up, 9 is diagonally up and right, O is right, and so on.

—Alorael, who is completely incapable of navigating with a slanted keypad that's slanted opposite the isometric layout of Avernum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Drakey is a talentless hack.:

What Mac doesn't have a mouse? In any case, you can hit numlock and use the I key and the eight surrounding keys as a keypad equivalent so that 8 is up, 9 is diagonally up and right, O is right, and so on.

—Alorael, who is completely incapable of navigating with a slanted keypad that's slanted opposite the isometric layout of Avernum.

You can get used to it, but I never really have and just use the four arrow keys to avoid going diagonally. (Quoted to keep the PDN)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Drakey is a talentless hack.:

What Mac doesn't have a mouse?
Well, it could be an Apple laptop.

And this PDN truly is priceless. It's funny because it's true.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
All Apple laptops come with fully functional mouse substitute in the form of a trackpad or, if you have a very old Powerbook, a trackball. If you have no way to move the cursor, you've got an odd computer. Actually, with a Mac at least you can still enable cursor movement using the numeric keypad through Universal Access, but on a laptop you'd then need to activate yur keypad too.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how to go about changing Universal Access settings without a mouse to do it with. It's one of Apple's great mysteries.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8002
Profile #22
It is an Apple laptop, an iBook. Anyway, it worked. I had to use "k," I think, instead of "i," to get the movement I needed, but I now have demonslayer and am headed, slowly but surely, toward Emperor Hawthorne. Without going diagonally, which I can't do with the arrow keys, I couldn't have gotten to the pommel. Anyway, I appreciate all your help. I think I can manage to finish on my own, so I won't need to bother you anymore, except to ask what's a PDN? Clemmie
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
Publicly Displayed Name

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
A PDN is the publicly displayed name shown for the person making the post. Alorael changes his almost daily and the UBB does funny things when you try to change back to an old PDN.

Pages