xian stuff

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: xian stuff
Apprentice
Member # 6216
Profile #0
Okay, what's with the Xian things? I have the ale and the annoying skull, the pouch and now a pair of pants. What gives? Is this part of a quest I've missed?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
It's not really a quest, just a bunch of fun things to look for. You didn't expect X's creations to have a purpose, did you? The Xian Coins are rather useful, but if I recall correctly, the Pants are awful.

Personally, I loved the Xian Shrub. Spreading joy and small ground cover plants throughout Valorim...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #2
In real life, seriously, the skull is my BEST friend evarz! I love the Xian Skull! He's super tight once you get to know him.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I believe that Anaximander mentions at the very beginning that the party that was sent up before you was outfitted (by X) with a variety of magical items. These items (being made by X) were called the Xian Items.

Now, since they don't all quite work as they should, the party has met an untimely end and the items are scattered everywhere. They're just for fun, though, not a quest.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6730
Profile #4
Whoop, first post.
Anaximander does mention the items (or somebody does. It might be X, actually.)
The items are interesting, but only the coins are really useful. Basically the theme with them is that the few that have benificial effects also have some truly nasty side-effects that make them pretty much useless. But if you're into item collecting, they're awesome.

--------------------
'So the lord spoke unto the prophet, and he said,
"Go find he that was white, and show him back to our path."
And the prophet went forth, and found he that was once white. But he was not black, for he had become grey. And when the prophet spoke to him he replied,
"I am as one dead. Leave me, and go back to your lord."
So he that was grey became Curvox, lord of the Shadows. Never of darkness, never of light.'

-Book of Fates, Chapter 34 - 'The Grey Prophet'
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Unless you're the sort of person who enjoys being able to read every book without having to have a library of them or have random quotes spoken to you by a bleached skull.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 6730
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Unless you're the sort of person who enjoys being able to read every book without having to have a library of them or have random quotes spoken to you by a bleached skull.

Dikiyoba.

Very True. I'd totally forgotten about the Tome.

--------------------
'So the lord spoke unto the prophet, and he said,
"Go find he that was white, and show him back to our path."
And the prophet went forth, and found he that was once white. But he was not black, for he had become grey. And when the prophet spoke to him he replied,
"I am as one dead. Leave me, and go back to your lord."
So he that was grey became Curvox, lord of the Shadows. Never of darkness, never of light.'

-Book of Fates, Chapter 34 - 'The Grey Prophet'
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
The tome is useful. If I remember rightly; it helped me find a hidden item that I would not otherwise have found, because I never found that actual book that described the hiding place.

And of course, yay xian shrub!

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

It's not really a quest, just a bunch of fun things to look for. You didn't expect X's creations to have a purpose, did you? The Xian Coins are rather useful, but if I recall correctly, the Pants are awful.

Personally, I loved the Xian Shrub. Spreading joy and small ground cover plants throughout Valorim...

So X created the xian stuff? Well that makes a lot more sense. Its been a while since I played A3.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Hence the name X-ian.

—Alorael, who believes there was some disagreement once over whether that should be pronounced Eksian or Zian.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Steppery:

Hence the name X-ian.

—Alorael, who believes there was some disagreement once over whether that should be pronounced Eksian or Zian.

I imagine that would depend on whether one pronounces X's name as "eks" or "zai."

Though upon further reflection, perhaps it isn't as clear as it seems.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
While I doubt this, it could be a whole pun on the christian habit of Christmas shortening to Xmas, making the items Christian.

Presumably, this explains their interesting range of rather dysfunctional abilities, and why some of them are flat-out detrimental. I imagine the xian skull would be a rough analogue of some babbling idiot such as Pat Robertson.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #12
Well This is my opinoin but the only usefull Xian item is the coins and ale :D

The dumb ones are the stuff you can wear including the pouch

The fun ones are the shrub Tome and skull :D

I think thats all of them

Also what does the Xian Platemail Do?

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!
Who doesn't?
My hints on making a new party.