In the Sewers of Shayder...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: In the Sewers of Shayder...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #0
IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/cfossedal/magemurder.jpg)

God save us from the Anama.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #1
Anama are such bastards, i wonder how many mages they killed just like this........
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #2
lets imagine what had happened if the anama had never existed and the mages of old would still rule bigail. (what was the name of that mage-island with the experiments and stuff?)

or if the anama would control all of valorim. or avernum. or everything.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
The mages never ruled Bigail. They just lived on Bigail like they did in the rest of Valorim until the Anama made them most unwelcome.

—Alorael, who imagines that the Empire would collapse in short order if the Anama were everywhere. No army would be able to keep the entire Empire together without magical reinforcement.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
This is just unsupported speculation. There is no evidence to suggest that this unfortunate mage was executed by the Anama - it is far more likely to have been a rival mage.

Any Empire that requires magical enchantments to keep itself in power is undesirable, and we'd be better off without it. If on the other hand the Empire is fair and virtuous, then it will survive without the need for magery.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
There are no rival mages in Shayder, although the body could be from the bad ol' times before the Anama.

Everyone has magical enchantments except the Anama, and they've got fanaticism on their side. The Empire depends on magic to keep order and to kill all the horrible beasts in the countryside, Avernum depends on magic to maintain a decent existence, everyone needs magic. Not all of it is used to set people on fire!

[Edit: GC or RWG?]

—Alorael, who may have to dig up and old RWG thread. Just because an Empire could conceivably survive without magery doesn't make it plausible that it would. In Ermarian, Empires have magic.

[ Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:18: Message edited by: Excuses ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #6
Well, the book he held in the damp sewers was still pretty legible. He couldn't have been in there long.

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #7
All I can say about this topic is...

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #8
well, the anama seems rough, but at least they try to keep away from skribbane , the church of Divine Lucre is worse(I hope I got all the spelligs right)

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The Church of the Divine Lucre doesn't hurt anybody (except financially). It also doesn't help anyone (except for money). It is a perfectly mercenary and amoral organization.

The Anama espouses high ideals and, armed with those ideals and its zeal in carrying them out, causes harm.

—Alorael, who will leave the decision of which group is morally superior as an exercise for the reader.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #10
The Anama causes no harm, they heal and purge.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #11
Do I heare Poe? The Cask of Amontillado? I thought the same thing when I saw it.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
That didn't occur to me because I only read The Cask of Amontillado recently, and I played Avernum 3 years ago. But it seems that that is indeed the reference.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #13
Granted, the poor sap in Amontillado wasn't a Mage per say, but when I saw that screenshot that's the first thing that popped into my head. I could just see a guy in Anama robes, his ring glinting in the dim light, bricking up the poor, bound mage for past transgressions while the doomed man futilely cried out for mercy.

Poe FTW.

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Marak:

Poe FTW.
*Giggle*

Or maybe it was a rival mage. Fortunato was a member of the Masons, but the main charcter (whose name cannot be rememberd) is not.

--------------------
quote:

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #15
I believe the "main character" or "protaganist" was called Montresor (see my "quote" above). And hey, it still fits. The dead guy was a Mason (Mage) and his murderer is not (Anama).

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #16
Mica:
quote:

- it is far more likely to have been a rival mage.

Then why not take the spellbook? Only the Anama would leave a precious magical relic behind in the sewers...

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #17
The spellbook isn't precious, it's rubbish (who ever uses bolt of fire?).

Edit: another possible culprit is that well-known criminal element, the Guild.

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 08:12: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #18
Well, my Mages with 0 points in any weapon skill were more than happy to bump the damage their Bolt of Fire did from 35 to 55...

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #19
You only use Bolt of Fire in the most early part of the game. After gaining about five levels, it's useless. I see no reason why 20 extra damage to one target would top 80 damage to multiple targets.

--------------------
quote:

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #20
I still use it to mop up whatever doesn't die to my Level 3 Lightning Spray. Why blow 4-6-8-10 MP on a monster with 30 HP when can off it for 2 MP with Level 3 Bolt of Fire? And no, my Ashwood Bow with Iron Arrows with 5 Dex and 0 Bow skill isn't going to cut it.

I'm just saying, Bolt of Fire still gets a fair amount of use (especially in a Magic-heavy Party like mine) even at "higher" levels. Although, I will admit that once you're Level 40+ with 130+ MP and 5 points in Magery and 10 Intelligence and 18 Mage Spells, it pretty much falls by the wayside.

And more on topic, how is that the High Priest of the Anama seems like, for the most part, a fair-minded (if biased), reasonable individual, and yet his followers are intolerant, xenophobic pricks?

I mean, seriously, try to talk to anyone in the Anama without Rings on, see where it gets you. And yet, you can talk to the leader of the Anama fresh off the street and he'll teach you Priest Spells until the cows come home. It's weird.

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #21
It's because only Ahonar granted himself permission to speak with the outside world.

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
1) Re Bolt of Fire, it doesn't do anything that a decent pole weapon can't do, and better.

2) Re Anama not talking freely to anyone outside the Anama, let's remember we're talking about a crisis situation here (plague of disease-bearing cockroaches). Get some perspective. The people of Sharimik are even less friendly - at first they won't let you into their city, for pete's sake. As for Gale, as soon as the mayor claps eyes on you, you're thrown in a prison cell! Give me the Anama any day.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
Bolt of fire does two things that a polearm won't. It can hit enemies who aren't right next to you and it can't miss. It's also used by a different character than your pole guy, probably.

—Alorael, who used Bolt of Fire occasionally until the end of the game too. It's the next best thing after Wound.
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

2) Re Anama not talking freely to anyone outside the Anama, let's remember we're talking about a crisis situation here (plague of disease-bearing cockroaches). Get some perspective. The people of Sharimik are even less friendly - at first they won't let you into their city, for pete's sake. As for Gale, as soon as the mayor claps eyes on you, you're thrown in a prison cell! Give me the Anama any day.

Pfft (whatever the hell that means...), let those guys die. If they don't respect you, you might as well wait for Shayder (EDITED... wrong town @.@) to die (if it can completely)... THEN save everyone on Isle of Brigial... for all I care, Anama can ................

*buzzed out to not offend people any more then his body odor has*

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 13:45: Message edited by: Foley's Body ]

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...

Pages