Solo party recommendations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Solo party recommendations
Apprentice
Member # 6348
Profile #0
What traits do you recommend for a solo character? I think an obvious one would be Natural Mage but I can’t decide if I should use Elite Warrior or Divinely Touched.

Suggestions Opinions???

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by The Offspring:

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the disclaimer, that's right, the disclaimer

This American apple pie institution known as parental discretion will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm from the lyrics that might actually make you think, and will also insult your intelligence at the same time.

So protect your family. This album contains explicit depictions of things which are real. These real things are commonly known as life. So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #1
my opinion is:dont play solo :)
well i would like to do it but is surely is so hard and im very impatient
i think that tou should play with a slith berseker,divinely touched,spells is not the grat difficulty because there is a lot of potion,scrolls etc,and anyway buying magic substitutes is a must to do if you decided to solo play the game in first place
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Disregard chicho's post, singleton parties are completely doable. Use Divinely Touched, because Elite Warrior is almost worthless.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #3
indeed. since a singleton will naturally level very fast, it will hit the melee dmg-cap quite soon, so elite warriors bonuses wont be effective anymore.

natural mage and divinely touched are obviously the best choices, though one could consider to go for natural mage only.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
What does divinely touched do, exactly? When I tried it in Avernum 1 it just seemed to give my PC lots of once-a-day abilities that I never wanted to use. Does it have other benefits as well?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #5
yes, quite a few. there was a discussion about that in some other thread here, dont know which one though...

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Natural Mage is essential if you're going to use mage spells, but priest spells are more essential and fighting is pretty necessary too. Unless you want to spread everything out, a fighter-priest with no mage spells is probably the way to go, and Natural Mage isn't worth it.

Divinely Touched makes you slightly better at everything and gives you three once per day abilities, two of which are useless and one of which gives you Divine Aid, which is a very strong blessing, haste, and so much shielding you might as well be invulnerable.

—Alorael, who has nothing more to add except that Strong WIll is suppsedly very useful for not getting your singleton brain fried. It's crippling when there's no one else to heal it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
I believe that Divinely Touched also raises various skills every few levels.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #8
I either choose Fast on Feet and Natural Mage, or Fast on Feet and Strong Will. Spells become less and less important the later the game is (A1 A2 and A3), so for A3 definitely choose Strong Will. Fighting also becomes progressively more useful.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Natural Mage only gives a tiny bonus to spellcasting anyway. At level 1 it's significant, but it doesn't increase as you gain levels. (Note: this is based on my testing of the Natural Mage trait in BoA, but it probably works the same way in the series Avernums.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6348
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Natural Mage only gives a tiny bonus to spellcasting anyway. At level 1 it's significant, but it doesn't increase as you gain levels. (Note: this is based on my testing of the Natural Mage trait in BoA, but it probably works the same way in the series Avernums.)
I choose Natural Mage not for the bonus but because it allows you to cast even when wearing the better types of armor. Since as a singleton everyone is going to be aiming at me, good and great armor becomes a necessity.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by The Offspring:

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the disclaimer, that's right, the disclaimer

This American apple pie institution known as parental discretion will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm from the lyrics that might actually make you think, and will also insult your intelligence at the same time.

So protect your family. This album contains explicit depictions of things which are real. These real things are commonly known as life. So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Yeah, but the prevailing opinion is that mage spells aren't all that useful for a singleton. There isn't really anything mage spells give you that you can't get some other way.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #12
Nope. All spells of all types should always be used above items, no matter the number of characters (especially since the item hold cells will max out faster with only one character).

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Apprentice
Member # 6337
Profile #13
well personally my first charac (he ins't alone but it won't bother him to be) has just enought mage kevels to haste him and enought priest levels to make guard fear :) and all the rest is in dexterity so that he is good with crossbows and swords. I also take some point in first aid, I discovered it to finally be useful (200 points healing even once a day, it is interesting)

And I dont bother him with rooms for items, I have allways with me my iventory full of useless items like dices or almaria yellow or cups, so that it is more roleplay.

--------------------
Hrrmrrr drew his sword and strode forth from the crude, poor mud hut in wich the nice feline creature lived with his great brethren. "Now I go forth!" he cried.

"Now I go, and slay humans, and butcher their children, and interfere with their farm animals foully. For that is my purpose on this Earth. And the Empire shall never get all of us, no matter what they do!" -THE FURY OF THE NEPHILIM (With slight changes by Retrency)