Technical help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Technical help
Apprentice
Member # 6348
Profile #0
I was considering getting Avernum since I loved Exile but after I downloaded the games I couldn’t get any of them to work. I’ve tried redownloading them but to no avail. I have tried changing the screen resolution change option but that hasn’t worked ether.

What happens is when I try to change my graphic in the character creation area the game freezes. It also freezes whenever I close a pop up box during game play. So I haven’t been able to play at all (a real bummer :( ).

My computer dell demission 2400
Intel CPU 2.66 (AMD is better :D )
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Integrated graphics with 3d support
Seagate 160GB

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by The Offspring:

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the disclaimer, that's right, the disclaimer

This American apple pie institution known as parental discretion will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm from the lyrics that might actually make you think, and will also insult your intelligence at the same time.

So protect your family. This album contains explicit depictions of things which are real. These real things are commonly known as life. So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #1
Do you change the resolution when you bring up the game to play it? If you don't you should, I always let it change it for me everytime. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Well, I'm not sure, but you might want to look in the Tech. Support forum.

(perhaps this topic should be moved there)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #3
and you have windows or Mac?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by satate_master:

demission 2400
Intel CPU 2.66 (AMD is better :D )

That's no Mac.

—Alorael, who would move this to Tech Support if it weren't just as likely to get answers here.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
What operating system? Did you let the game install at its default settings or have you changed stuff? It sounds like it can't find things, which suggests that you need to reinstall using default settings.

*this message sponsored by the pennant*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #6
It almost sounds like he used a Mac to download the Windows version. Or, more likely, vice versa.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
If it isn't a Mac, it must be some variety of Windows. The Mac version shouldn't even execute at all.

—Alorael, who is sure that the reverse is also true without special software.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Name-change roader:

—Alorael, who is sure that the reverse is also true without special software.
Yup.

Okay, first of all try re-downloading. It's a pain if you have dial-up, but that's the first thing. Make sure you select the Windows version (the file should end in .zip).

Then install it using the default settings, and ALLOW it to change the resolution when you start it up. It will change it back when you quit.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the sound in the preferences window. I had a little trouble with sound (sure, it was a 486, but hey...), and make sure you're graphics card driver is up-to date. Since it seems to be a fairly new computer, everything should be fine there though...

I don't know. It has me flummoxed.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Apprentice
Member # 6348
Profile #9
I’ve tried redownloading the demo but this hasn’t worked. I don’t that was the problem since I have this problem with all three games. I have also tried changing and not changing the screen resolution and it has had no effect.

By the way I got Windows XP Home.

--------------------
quote:

This American apple pie institution known as parental discretion will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm from the lyrics that might actually make you think, and will also insult your intelligence at the same time.

So protect your family. This album contains explicit depictions of things which are real. These real things are commonly known as life. So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
Try running the game in compatbility mode. Select Windows 98 - that's probably the best. I expect you've already tried this, but it works.

You could also try this out, but it may not help you much. This version I KNOW works on XP. (It's just a setup file but hey.)

DOWNLOAD SETUP FILE

- Archmagus Micael

[ Thursday, September 29, 2005 05:46: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #11
If none of that works, I'll just pick up a free, old computer from the college, put the game on it, and send it to you.

You just take care of the shipping. :P

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Chief Spider watching The Simpsons:

If none of that works, I'll just pick up a free, old computer from the college, put the game on it, and send it to you.

*looks around to make sure nobody's watching*

Well now, where do you live - and how much would shipping be? :D
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Chief Spider watching The Simpsons:

the pcs of my college really suck, well, there is some very decent new computers, XP 2nd edtion and everything.anyway the bad computers really work for steal their RAM card...a friend stole dozens of them...
Apprentice
Member # 6348
Profile #14
Putting my PC in compatibility mode helps some but it still occasionally freezes. It seems strange that Exile works better on my new computer but Avernum just refuses to cooperate at all.

--------------------
quote: