Death to Anama!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Death to Anama!!!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #25
I've played through Avernum 3 several times, each with a different approach to the game. I joined the Anama once just to see what it was like, but after struggling quite a bit, I chucked it in and revoked my membership. It made me unwelcome on the island, but I was done there anyway.
Warrior
Member # 577
Profile Homepage #26
Sorry for bumping this up, but the Anama are hypocrites. Shouldn't Priest SPELLS still be considered magic? Oh, and the "items crafted through holy powers" and whatnot still belong in the Magic category.

Oh, and if you rob their tmple, they use Quickfire as defense. And what's that? A MAGIC spell!

--------------------
Please visit my website: http://geocities.com/dchia1010

my forums: http://freechat.tk
Apprentice
Member # 5555
Profile #27
No, they probably paid a mage to set up that Quickfire trap. After all, that they can't do it doesn't mean nobody else can. :P
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #28
that "payed a mage" idea is all very nice except there was another topic called "in the sewers of shaydar" where someone showed that the anama kill all mages they don't like which would be all mages except the ones in your party (as you are a potential convert).

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
The Anama presumably has a way of manufacturing all the items that cast spells that they have for say. If they can make Piercing Crystals, I don't see why they couldn't make a Phoenix Egg and rig a trap with it.

—Alorael, who remembers seeing somewhere that the Anama leadership is willing to tolerate mages even though they're evil incarnate. It's the rank and file that periodically has mage lynchings.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #30
The nearest analogy I can think of is Orthodox Jews hiring gentiles to do work for them on the Sabbath. You know, cooking, cleaning—

Work is a terrible sin on the Sabbath, but it's gentiles doing it so it's all right...

[ Sunday, October 23, 2005 18:40: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #31
quote:

If they can make Piercing Crystals, I don't see why they couldn't make a Phoenix Egg and rig a trap with it.

Because in Anama moron land, Dispel Barrier is magic, whereas Piercing Crystals are not.

In fact, it makes me wonder whether the Anama's faith is actually a disguise for money making. Once a mage learns a spell, that's it. However, an Anama member has to keep coming back to buy Piercing Crystals, Potions, Herbs, etc.

Something smells fishy...

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by ixfd64:

Sorry for bumping this up,
Yes you are. We really didn't need to see this again.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
The Anama don't object to magic, per se. They object to mages specifically because mages have such potential to cause death and destruction. (Fireblast, Smite, and Divine Retriibution don't count, apparently). Wands might be discouraged for much the same reasons but not banned outright.

There's nothing inherently wrong with magic items, and there is no harm to be caused by dispelling barriers. In the same way, while a Phoenix Egg is desstructive, it isn't in the hands of a mage so it probably passes muster.

—Alorael, who would put the Anama's beliefs down as nonsensica" rather than greedy. Their purpose isn't selling magic items. Those are more of a workaround for those who absolutely must have magical effects, which doesn't include the vast majority of Valorim's inhabitants.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #34
That's what makes them such blasted hypocrites. They use movements that use up spell points that do damage or otherwise aid in combat to a lesser extent than sorcerers do. It seems that "magic" to them is how hard the damage is applied. The stupid Pharisees. :mad:

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #35
Yeah... if you compare the spells Light and Flamestrike... >_>;;;

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #36
That's E2 and E3. But if you want to get into that, there's Wound, Curse All, Holy Scourge, Divine Thud, Avatar, Revive All... :cool:

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #37
I know how to join the Anama after you steal their tresure.

--------------------
I hate you all
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #38
I don't care.

Listen to this:

"This city was a magical center before the Anama came to Bigail. Much powerful spellcraft took place here. Then the Anama came, and suddenly OUR SUPPLY SHIPMENTS STARTED 'DISAPPEARING.'"

-Purgatos, only human survivor of Kneece

[ Friday, October 28, 2005 17:47: Message edited by: Chief Spider watching The Simpsons ]

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #39
I'm rather wondering how the traditional roles and spells for mages and priests were established, because the two do not seem very cleanly dilineated. I am assuming most of the currently accepted spells for each come from D&D? If I were designing a world of magical users, i'd make priests truly limited to dealing with healing and shielding and other defensive spells (which would include repelling the dead).

I'd make mages for aggressive/harmful spells only, and a third class of some sort for manipulating the forces of nature: call beast, far sight, move mountains, dispel barriers, weather spells, light, etc. I'm not terribly impressed with the mix-n-match spell assignment which seems to have gone from D&D tradition into RPG law.

EDIT: I'm just talking about which category spells get divided into, not that a PC should have to be forced to only specialize in one set.

[ Saturday, October 29, 2005 00:19: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #40
As far as I'm concerned, any caster that isn't equally adept at mage and priest skills is defective.

—Alorael, who doesn't really mean that. There are characters who aren't wholly focused on casting too, and they can pick one or the other. There also might be a one or two point difference. But all mage or priest? That's a serious character flaw.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
But all mage or priest? That's a serious character flaw.

Why? Specialization = Power.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
The thing is that since the skill point costs of skills increase as your rank in those skills increase, getting Mage or Priest above 17 gives only very small incremental advantages per skill point spent, and it's fairly easy to get both of them to 17. A character with Mage of 17, Priest of 17 and Intelligence of 15 is a lot more useful than a character with Mage of 20, Priest of 0 and Intelligence of 22, despite the two costing roughly similar amounts of skill points.

There comes a point when a skill is effectively maxed out and putting more skill points into it is a waste -- sure, you can do it, but you're usually much better off putting the same number of skill points into a skill that you can build up from zero to high than building up a skill from very high to slightly higher.

[ Saturday, October 29, 2005 02:24: Message edited by: Explode Thuryl Now ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #43
At the beginning, though, you want your casters to have as many spell points in a given area as possible, so that they can learn a good number of spells. (In Exile, if your mage was at level 3, they would start out knowing Fireball {which is a pretty good reason to give them 3 mage spell points ^_^}, but I don't think there's any real parallel to that; I think it's just more spells and the game counts you as more "skilled" when learning new spells or levels of them. Later, though, when you've accumulated a lot of experience points, I guess it would be a pretty good idea to start giving characters other types of spells. It might come in handy for huge boss fights to have two guys who can cast Mass Healing so that you can do it twice in one cycle, or two guys who can cast massive, offensive, arcane blasts (MOAB's *giggles*), for that matter, depending on what you have to do at a certain point.

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."

Pages